Fall/Winter Build 2018/19 (Whoosh Noises incoming)

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
Afternoon Fellow TCG warriors......

So for a while now I have been kicking around what to do with the Trans Am. After a disappointing 2017 season I let the car sit all of 2018. It literally didn't go 1 mile. Long story short I setup the car for nitrous. First time out to the track one of my Nitrous fittings stripped.... then 3 passes in my posi on my 12 bolt rear end shit the bed. It drives straight fine, but around turns it literally sounds like death is happening in the rear end.

This was horribly discouraging and after the passing of my Father in the Winter I had zero motivation to drop more money into the car. So alas the car sat in the garage all summer.......

Fast forward to about 2 weeks ago. After basically watching everyone race all season and watch how bolt on SUV's go 9's it made me want to get back into the game. My choice was either to sell the car and get something new or drop a small bit of coin into it and go for some serious power.

Without Further ado.... I have decided to ditch Nitrous and all the issues that come with it.... and I am going Big Turbo!

The Basic Setup:

The car is currently at a friends local shop getting a custom designed Turbo Kit fabricated and put on. Nothing will be off the shelf. They have quite an extraordinary fabricator, and since I am in no rush to have the car running, they are taking there time and designing all of the piping.

Turbo will be a Precision 76mm
Tubular K member
Tubular Control arms
Custom Piping
Custom exhaust exits either fender or out current exhaust
Upgraded Radiator
4"intercooler
Manual boost controller with multiple different settings. (Low, Medium, High, Kill Mode)
A/C Will be retained

Misc other supporting mods.

Future Mods:

Turbo400 with T/Brake
Injectors for E85

The goals for right now just before winter will be in the 500-600 HP to the wheels. Low boost and low power just to drive it around. Due to the lack of transmission supporting mods there is no reason to turn it up. Once spring comes around it will be getting a TH400 or 4L80 to support the power. At that point I am shooting for 1000+ HP on Kill mode.

I am excited to start this project. It has been a while since I have had a turbo car, and I have never had a turbo V8 but as others have shown on this forum the potential is huge! I would be happy with a 9 second pass on medium boost. With quicker passes down the road once I can drop in more supporting mods.

Here are a few pictures so far..... I will add more photos as progress happens. Currently the Tubular K member is going in. Some bolts on the control arms are seized so tubular ones are on order. Once that is installed the piping for the turbo can be installed.

*I will include some of their welding work for reference right now. Everything is done by hand.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
It begins!

IMG_1358.jpg

Old K member removed

IMG_1374.JPG

IMG_1375.JPG

Here is some of the welding work.

IMG_1389.JPG

IMG_1390.JPG

IMG_1392.JPG

IMG_1391.JPG

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
E85 next year. Their tuner is the same guy who tunes everyone at Geared Up motorsports in New Lenox. He tuned my car last time so he is familiar with it.

Stock ecu for now, but if I go 4L80 it will need a different system.

This is not an unlimited budget build so I am doing some things in stages.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
Thanks. If anyone has any questions ask away. It’s obviously not a grudge type car or build. While 1000 hp and 9 second passes sound fast, it’s honestly like an 11 second pass when I was growing up now these days. So I’ve chosen to not really enter the grudge scene.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
Currently all feed lines are being tapped. The tubular K member is going in. Some bolts were seized on the old engine cradle which was to be expected so that part moved a little slower than normal.

Waiting to get some more pics of the progress. New headers should be going on soon.

Thread Info