• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

failed emissions, ecu couldnt connect

bimmer4life

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Feb 18, 2008
Wheaton, Illinois
Try a different emissions place.

X2. I went to Naperville station waited an hour. They had same issue failed to connect. I then asked them to test on another machine and all I got was attitude. And they said fine but wait another hour. I said fuuuuuuuu. I took it to addison station passed no problemo. I would say if you laptop had issues as well then you could check fuse or wiring. But since you can connect try different station.

bimmer4life

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Feb 18, 2008
Wheaton, Illinois
Was just at the addison one lol. I stopped at autozone beforehand just to have them check to see if they caught anything on theirs. And they couldnt connect either. But I thought the guy was being a chicken shit and didnt want to touch anything.

Just as an FYI mine failed at autozone as well. But worked fine at addison station. I don't get the whole OBD II thing. I thought it was suppose to be universal. But I can tell you not all OBD II readers will read my wifes R350 Mercedes had to buy certain ones.

rocket5979

Gearhead
Nov 15, 2005
Round Lake, IL
FWIW the Joliet emissions place has a self serve terminal. Kinda like an atm machine for emissions testing. Worth trying.

No shit?!?!? We need one of those up here! That's awesome! I mean passing is kind of a non-issue for me since the ECU will pass regardless, but it's still cool to not have to deal with the emissions guys if I don't have to.

rocket5979

Gearhead
Nov 15, 2005
Round Lake, IL
I had my lightning tuned...had emmison test...vehicle didn't register as all systems were turned off. Had to put back to stock

The OP's issue seems to be different than what tuned Ford guys are running into. In your truck's case the tune would have turned the DTC's and certain monitors off in a way that showed enough of them as not supported so as to cause a test failure. I think the OP is having issues with the emissions computer linking to his ECU at all.

Wrencher

Regular
Sep 11, 2011
I know link pretty well...
Go to "ECU config" and click on the misc tab.
Find the check box under "lock comm in ECM link mode" and uncheck it.
Done.
While your there check your readiness monitors under the DTC's tab.
Also same page DTC's tab, make sure everything is enabled (enabled DTC checks)
Because you can shut monitors down there unknowingly and cause an emissions failure.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info