failed emissions, ecu couldnt connect

Shadow99

Broke DSMer
Reaction score
The dsm failed emissions because their computer could not fully connect with my ecu. There was continuity, but couldnt talk to the ecu. Im able to connect with my lap top fine. Im tuning with ECMlink v3 full. Any ideas what to do?

blueoval4life

Donating Member
Reaction score
Try a different emissions place.
X2. I went to Naperville station waited an hour. They had same issue failed to connect. I then asked them to test on another machine and all I got was attitude. And they said fine but wait another hour. I said fuuuuuuuu. I took it to addison station passed no problemo. I would say if you laptop had issues as well then you could check fuse or wiring. But since you can connect try different station.

Shadow99

Broke DSMer
Reaction score
Was just at the addison one lol. I stopped at autozone beforehand just to have them check to see if they caught anything on theirs. And they couldnt connect either. But I thought the guy was being a chicken shit and didnt want to touch anything.

blueoval4life

Donating Member
Reaction score
Was just at the addison one lol. I stopped at autozone beforehand just to have them check to see if they caught anything on theirs. And they couldnt connect either. But I thought the guy was being a chicken shit and didnt want to touch anything.
Just as an FYI mine failed at autozone as well. But worked fine at addison station. I don't get the whole OBD II thing. I thought it was suppose to be universal. But I can tell you not all OBD II readers will read my wifes R350 Mercedes had to buy certain ones.

HeavyG

Reaction score
Could be the port under dash.happened to me

willizm

Ho fuckin Ho!
Reaction score
FWIW the Joliet emissions place has a self serve terminal. Kinda like an atm machine for emissions testing. Worth trying.

HeavyG

Reaction score
Or it could be any recent electrical wiring to the car/improper alarm/fog light's. ..radio

rocket5979

Gearhead
Reaction score
FWIW the Joliet emissions place has a self serve terminal. Kinda like an atm machine for emissions testing. Worth trying.

No shit?!?!? We need one of those up here! That's awesome! I mean passing is kind of a non-issue for me since the ECU will pass regardless, but it's still cool to not have to deal with the emissions guys if I don't have to.

Shadow99

Broke DSMer
Reaction score
From what I heard from others, in my tuning program there might be a lock-out button that needs to be unchecked...

HeavyG

Reaction score
I had my lightning tuned...had emmison test...vehicle didn't register as all systems were turned off. Had to put back to stock

rocket5979

Gearhead
Reaction score
I had my lightning tuned...had emmison test...vehicle didn't register as all systems were turned off. Had to put back to stock
The OP's issue seems to be different than what tuned Ford guys are running into. In your truck's case the tune would have turned the DTC's and certain monitors off in a way that showed enough of them as not supported so as to cause a test failure. I think the OP is having issues with the emissions computer linking to his ECU at all.

Wrencher

Reaction score
I know link pretty well...
Go to "ECU config" and click on the misc tab.
Find the check box under "lock comm in ECM link mode" and uncheck it.
Done.
While your there check your readiness monitors under the DTC's tab.
Also same page DTC's tab, make sure everything is enabled (enabled DTC checks)
Because you can shut monitors down there unknowingly and cause an emissions failure.

Shadow99

Broke DSMer
Reaction score
Yep. Haven't had time to check. But I'm guessing that's what it is. Thank you

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom