Facial recognition software is.....racist?

blakbearddelite

I'm not one of your 'shit-hole' buddies!
Donating Member
Reaction score
https://www.yahoo.com/news/alexandria-ocasio-cortez-calls-racial-143757083.html

At a congressional hearing, Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez tackled how the use of facial recognition technology can “exacerbate” racial bias in the criminal justice system.

She postulates that because facial recognition software is most effectively used on white men, and it was primarily designed by white men...it is in fact racist. This dumb twat makes everything about race.

Isn't it possible that lighter skin allows for more contrast between features which then allows for better facial recognition?

Also, she never really said how it 'exacerbates' racial bias. What is she even talking about? How does it make things worse in the criminal justice system? How is it being used? I'm totally ignorant as to what she's even claiming.

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
Donating Member
Reaction score
This should probably get merged into the AOC thread. That said, amusing AF.

OP
blakbearddelite

blakbearddelite

Donating Member
Reaction score
Which rim is easier to see? I can only imagine that a computer's optical scanner is similar to the human eye and it has difficulties with separating shapes of similar contrasts. Does that mean the human eye is racist?

Ryan02Stang

Reaction score
If you took the training I had posted took place today at 1pm...you would understand, and agree, that facial recognition is indeed.....VERY racist!

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
Donating Member
Reaction score
I believe he was being sarcastic.

OP
blakbearddelite

blakbearddelite

Donating Member
Reaction score
I feel like the privilege is to not be identified by facial recognition software. Who knows what the government is doing with that information.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Reaction score
images have tricks you can play to try and see more contrast. nonetheless darker colors absorb more light and it's harder to get/take well lit pictures of anything darker. taking a picture of my black cat is a real challenge!

ibm specifically has released images IBM hopes 1 million faces will help fight bias in facial recognition to try and make a good base set for facial recognition.

this article has some more insight:
Response: Racial and Gender bias in Amazon Rekognition — Commercial AI System for Analyzing Faces.

In our recent study of bias in commercial facial analysis systems, Deborah Raji and I show Amazon Rekognition, an AI service the company sells to law enforcement, exhibits gender and racial bias for gender classification.
of course this doesn't mean law enforcement anywhere is actually buying or using the tech; which would seem like a bad idea from the get go as other offerings (like ibm or microsoft) appear to perform much better. and as noted above, the poor performance of the amazon stuff wouldn't necessarily translate into someone receiving poorer treatment as well.

i didn't read the whole medium article but it goes a lot deeper into the challenges of detecting faces and recognizing attributes accurately.

tinfoilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
Donating Member
Reaction score
Facial recongnition is not as simple as loading some software and using existing security cameras and book, facial recongnition.

Cameras have to be mounted at a certain height, at the right angle and have the right light conditions to work properly at reading faces. Even then, glasses, hats, bandanas etc... Fuck it up.

It's used very sparingly in the real world or in very controlled environments and the accuracy is laughable.

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
Donating Member
Reaction score
I feel like the privilege is to not be identified by facial recognition software. Who knows what the government is doing with that information.
Said no one ever. Except maybe people in China who are afraid of going to camps if they say otherwise.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
Super Moderator
Donating Member
Reaction score
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
A guy in England was arrested and forced to pay fines for trying to hide his face from their new facial recognition devices.

That could be the future here if we don't prevent it. Big Brother IS watching you.

Look up the 4th amendment sometime, guys. No search and seizure allowed.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Reaction score
A guy in England was arrested and forced to pay fines for trying to hide his face from their new facial recognition devices.

That could be the future here if we don't prevent it. Big Brother IS watching you.

Look up the 4th amendment sometime, guys. No search and seizure allowed.
i was surprised reading that story even for england, i have a hard time believing that would fly in the US.

also note that is to a much deeper level, that one is trying to recognize individuals. the stuff above is just trying to recognize race and gender.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom