• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

F*ck!!!!!!!!!!! I need immediate help!!

doodad

TCG Elite Member
Nov 19, 2006
I broke this guys, i wanna know if i would be safe driving around like this. other 4 are very tight. I need immediate help!!

DSC01396.jpg

DSC01397.jpg

DSC01398.jpg

I drove my LT1 around with one missing bolt like a year.

doodad

TCG Elite Member
Nov 19, 2006
WhtSuperStang said:
ur fine....

u can prolly just take the wheel off and pound that out and get a new one from autozone or what not and put it in

its ok to drive... that happened to me on my cobra and when we were working on my friends car... not hard to do

thank god, i was gonna f*cking cry :biggthump

i know i was driving my lt1 around one missing bolt like a year

doodad

TCG Elite Member
Nov 19, 2006
so at advance auto parts can i find this? is there any part number or they are all the same? and how in the hell do you do the job?

also as you see on the last photo, how can i take the piece out of there? i am and idiot!! it was tight and i was still tightening it!! :(

thanks

Dana

Bluesmobile
Mar 2, 2004
doodad said:
so at advance auto parts can i find this? is there any part number or they are all the same? and how in the hell do you do the job?

also as you see on the last photo, how can i take the piece out of there? i am and idiot!! it was tight and i was still tightening it!! :(

thanks
Get a replacement lug nut. Don't bother trying to remove the broken piece ftom the nut.
Autozone or Ford dealer will have the stud.

doodad

TCG Elite Member
Nov 19, 2006
Thanks a lot guys.. I just couldn't drive around like that, i went ahead bought stud hammered the old one out and draw the new one in and put back my street tires on and i am good to go!! Damn, it scared the sh*t out of me:D I will go to jiffie lube and ask them to tight all the bolts up with that torque machine.

DSC01400.jpg

DSC01401.jpg

rdsnake

formerly RD SNAKE
Mar 5, 2006
I once drive home with 2 out of the 5 wheel studs holding my wheel on. It was on one of my crap boxes back in the day. I was waiting for the wheel to fall off but it hung on. Don't worry no highway action just a short drive home from a friend's house. I wouldn't worry about one... :cool:

P.s. If I saw your cobra at jeffy lube, Id straight up smack you in the face, those 'kids' and I mean KIDS are ass hats and don't know their head from their rear...No way id let them near my 30 grand cobra or my daily driver crap shooters...

Kevin

doodad

TCG Elite Member
Nov 19, 2006
RD SNAKE said:
P.s. If I saw your cobra at jeffy lube, Id straight up smack you in the face, those 'kids' and I mean KIDS are ass hats and don't know their head from their rear...No way id let them near my 30 grand cobra or my daily driver crap shooters...

Kevin

:D true, where do you guys get your oil changes? i need that air machine to tight the bolts up good. i was tightening the bolts and i was stepping on torque wrench and jumping on it to make the bolts as tight as possible and while i was jumping on torque wrecnh stud broke. when i put the street tires back on, i took easy but i need to tighten them up pretty good.

I honestly had cold sweat when i broke that!!! :-o

rdsnake

formerly RD SNAKE
Mar 5, 2006
doodad said:
:D true, where do you guys get your oil changes? i need that air machine to tight the bolts up good. i was tightening the bolts and i was stepping on torque wrench and jumping on it to make the bolts as tight as possible and while i was jumping on torque wrecnh stud broke. when i put the street tires back on, i took easy but i need to tighten them up pretty good.

I honestly had cold sweat when i broke that!!! :-o

I change my oil myself, But I hear the dealers do top notch work, after all they did build these cars :dunno:

Ummm yeah jumping up and down on the torque wrench broke the wheel stud. I don't think you were using a trque wrench. But they should be tighten to around 100 foot lbs.

Kevin

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Mar 2, 2004
Get yourself a decent torque wrench ( and don't take it to Jiffy Screwed).

If you remove / change your wheels often, then you NEED a good torque wrench.

Overtightening the nut is probably why the stud broke in the first place. You're only supposed to use 95 to 110 ft lbs of torque on those nuts.

Decent Craftsman Torque Wrench

Cheaper Torque Wrench from Home Depot

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info