• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

🔧 Technical Dealing with Annoying GM Power Steering Pump Noise

smug

Please go back to eating crayons
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2007
Cedar Lake, IN
Real Name
Dan Erickson
I has a 2013 Tahoe with 170,000 miles now and it has the olé GM power steering pump noise, whine, suction noise, what ever you want to call it. When the truck is cold no noise but after a drive and everything is nice and warmed up if the engine is under 1000 rpm you can hear a noise that drive me nuts. Seriously sounds like air being sucked through. I don’t think it is because I don’t see any foam or air bubbles in the fluid reservoir

OE low mileage used pump because o thought it was going out but it was actually the water pump at the time. Lol I was told and all rebuilt pumps are junk so I went for a low mile used pump.

Replaced the pressure and return hoses.

New seals on rack where hoses connect.

Preformed the GM bleed process about 5 times so far.

Tried different snake oils that claim to reduce noise and straight Dex VI was the most quiet.

And I’m about out of ideas. Help.

sktchy

⚠️🫠
TCG Premium
Jul 27, 2021
I've definitely seen the water pump sound like a power steering whine. Is it possible it could be another pulley or maybe the used pump wasn't any better than what you had?

I guess if it was me I'd yank the belt and start spinning stuff to rule that out before condemning the pump and looking too far into it.

smug

TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2007
Cedar Lake, IN
Real Name
Dan Erickson
I've definitely seen the water pump sound like a power steering whine. Is it possible it could be another pulley or maybe the used pump wasn't any better than what you had?

I guess if it was me I'd yank the belt and start spinning stuff to rule that out before condemning the pump and looking too far into it.
Could be but I doubt it. When the water pump was the issue I did not take the belt off and spin by hand. My fault. Replaced the PS pump and still made the same loose bearing noise. Fuck….. Then I took the belt off and spun by hand all the pulleys and you could definitely tell it was the water pump.

Reactions: sktchy

smug

TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2007
Cedar Lake, IN
Real Name
Dan Erickson
I'm willing to bet it's trapped air.

I vacuum fill power steering systems on some Super Duties cause after a pump change you legit cannot turn the wheel, the pump gets air locked.

So many times I thought I crossed lines or fucked up the install. Nope. Just air locked
Damn. Yeah my steering is super smooth so if it’s air it can’t be much.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info