Explosion in Gurnee

Fish

From the mean streets....
Donating Member
Reaction score
The Lake County sheriff's office warned the public Friday night to stay away from the area of Sunset Avenue between Green Bay Road to Delany Road in Gurnee after a what was described as a "ground-shaking" explosion.

"Please allow first-responders to conduct operations!! Area first-responders are on the scene of an explosion/building fire," read a tweet from the sheriff's office.

The Lake County sheriff's office said the explosion occurred around 10 p.m. at Northwestern and Sunset in Waukegan.

NBC 5 Chicago reported viewers called the TV station to say windows were shattered throughout the area.

Emily Laughlin, who lives in the area, told NBC 5 that emergency responders were turning cars away.

@ABC7Chicago video of the Gurnee Explosion. pic.twitter.com/ZTyFo7096b

— Andreas Ackron (@andreasackron) May 4, 2019
"Something exploded," she said. "It looked like it was a building, but they stopped everyone from getting closer."

Other Twitter users likened the noise to a "sonic boom," NBC 5 reported.
https://www.dailyherald.com/news/20190503/authorities-responding-to-explosion-in-gurnee

I didnt hear or feel anything in VH, but Im also in a noisy warehouse so. My mom in Mundelein said she didnt think she felt anything but heard something and the dogs went nuts.

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Reaction score
I heard that last night and I'm pretty far from Gurnee.
I thought maybe a small tree limb fell on the roof, but it was probably this explosion.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Reaction score
i'm in grayslake, right north of clc. google driving says 8 miles, i'd guess 7 as the crow flies.

i was indoors and heard a big boom. i thought it was from a big sudden storm brewing and a major crack of thunder. i think i had the tv on? it was very noticeable. a couple hours later i started seeing stuff on facebook come up about this story.

Dave M

Reaction score
I'm in Gurnee, about 4 miles from the explosion and my house practically jumped in the air, super loud too.

cap42

Restoration Hell
Reaction score
One of my clients is across the street from where this explosion happened, did some major damage to my clients building.

I heard one person died

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom