Explain this to me as if I was 5

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
Gas with no ethanol is at 84, premium is 91 (pending refinery). They will make mid grade by mixing the two.
84 with 10% ethanol =87
91 with 10% ethanol =93
84/91 with 10% ethanol =89
It will vary slightly but those are the basics. Anything else is usually more ethanol added because tax credits for using a renewable fuel.
So when I’m pumping 85 octane containing 10% ethanol…..

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
I've scanned a bunch of rides recently that are supposedly on e10 gas but the sensors showing mid 30s for content. Either gm sensors have a universal issue or they're using the ethanol to make up for how bad the base gas is is my guess

Nice demonstration on how the GM sensor reads with the addition of water to e85

b4black

before black
Jun 6, 2008
Oswego
Ethanol shit. Could I run the blue one in the SHO?

If so why not

20210909_164359.jpg

Casey's and Thorntons have similar set ups. The 87/89/91 is just good old E10 Gasoline. (Both blend a 93 premium with a little regular to get it down in octane a bit.) On the other end is Flex Fuel (aka E85), which we are all familiar with. The Unleaded 88 is a blend of 87 Regular with a little Flex Fuel. The result is about 15% ethanol and 88 octane.

The federal government has a program that gives out money for these E15 blend dispensers to encourage more ethanol sales. EPA approved E15 for all 2001+ cars. Many auto manufacturers disagree with this.

Can you run it in your SHO? I'd say yes, but it's only 88 octane. If your normally running 87 Regular, this is more octane, but it will get 1.5% less fuel economy. You bought a performance car, so performance should be more important than fuel economy to you. I'd recommend you run the highest octane you can, or at least high enough to remove all knock retard.

b4black

before black
Jun 6, 2008
Oswego
So when I’m pumping 85 octane containing 10% ethanol…..

The octane label on the dispenser is the final octane. It's 85. This is commonly sold in areas of high elevation. Before computers/oxygen sensors, engines ran richer at elevation and therefore didn't need as high an octane.

The base gasoline is likely about 81 octane. Add the kick from the 10% ethanol = 85 octane.

blue-sun

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2020
Casey's and Thorntons have similar set ups. The 87/89/91 is just good old E10 Gasoline. (Both blend a 93 premium with a little regular to get it down in octane a bit.) On the other end is Flex Fuel (aka E85), which we are all familiar with. The Unleaded 88 is a blend of 87 Regular with a little Flex Fuel. The result is about 15% ethanol and 88 octane.

The federal government has a program that gives out money for these E15 blend dispensers to encourage more ethanol sales. EPA approved E15 for all 2001+ cars. Many auto manufacturers disagree with this.

Can you run it in your SHO? I'd say yes, but it's only 88 octane. If your normally running 87 Regular, this is more octane, but it will get 1.5% less fuel economy. You bought a performance car, so performance should be more important than fuel economy to you. I'd recommend you run the highest octane you can, or at least high enough to remove all knock retard.

I think I asked about this in the ILLDUB thread a while ago, I live 45 seconds away from a Casey's and I saw the multiple pumps when we moved here last year and was very confused about it. I think I talked to Mook Mook about this one of the first times I met him in person, no?

I use 87 in the GTI since I'm "stock" (does a catback count?) but I do plan on getting one of those plug and play tunes. I'll run 93 when I probably get a Neusepeed Power Modulle, since it's plug and play and it doesn't mess with the ECU. When I'm out of warranty, then probably I'll get a Cobb Accessport and do an ECU/DSG tune.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
I think I asked about this in the ILLDUB thread a while ago, I live 45 seconds away from a Casey's and I saw the multiple pumps when we moved here last year and was very confused about it. I think I talked to Mook Mook about this one of the first times I met him in person, no?

I use 87 in the GTI since I'm "stock" (does a catback count?) but I do plan on getting one of those plug and play tunes. I'll run 93 when I probably get a Neusepeed Power Modulle, since it's plug and play and it doesn't mess with the ECU. When I'm out of warranty, then probably I'll get a Cobb Accessport and do an ECU/DSG tune.
Why not a jb4 like everyone else? I haven't seen anyone mention the power module...shit, maybe never.

blue-sun

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2020
Why not a jb4 like everyone else? I haven't seen anyone mention the power module...shit, maybe never.

Yeah, I forgot about JB4. I've seen stuff on the Power Module on VWVortex, but I don't go there a ton, it was more when I first got my GTI.

I had a HyperTech Tuner on my Mazdaspeed3, and I think part of why that car was still going strong at 130k with the original clutch was that I just wanted about 20 more HP than stock, which is what I'm looking for in the GTI. Not trying to go crazy, just a little more OOMF without voiding my warranty!

I probably won't do anything until spring of next year when we're off winter blend of gas anyways, so I have time to research.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info