Exhaust temps way too high

razors4us

Aug 15, 2021
i put the fuel filter on it less than 2 months ago, i dont think it would be bad already. but who knows nowadays. and i think this thing only pulls like 6lbs at idle. ive checked for vacuum leaks before and didnt find any, but that doesnt mean there arent any now. ill make sure and check again the next moment i get the chance. either way, ill upload a copy of the log from last night. i noticed it was still using short trim fuel trims, even though i had shut them off in the tune... is that normal? holy shit, figured it out just now. i feel stupid....... realy stupid....... ive been trying to dial in the ve table this whole time, and the damn thing has been running short trims the entire time because im running closed loop. for the record, i have never ever gottten this truck to run properly in closed loop up until i put the new engine in it and asked my guy to help me out with the safest tune in the world.... my first ever tune i was stuck running open loop nonstop. it wouldnt run worth a shit if i allowed it to go into closed loop. either way i made a few changes to the tune tonight as per instructed haha. before i go log again (with a new wideband sensor... again....) should i force it to stay in open loop? or is there a way to disable short trims somehow else?

i feel so stupid about the short terms. id be willing to bet it ran lean as all hell

Attachments

• well shit.hpl
    1.3 MB · Views: 45
  • 2001 silverado 2500hd 2wd 4l80e base2.hpt
    256 KB · Views: 37

Chip

Aug 20, 2021
The fuel trims typically only work below a certain rpm and are ok to use on a turbo car for better driveability ONCE VE is dialed in

You have way more short term on one bank that the other...this is fishy to me. I think it is good you had them on to detect this issue. This would not clean up with tuning.

1631244258823.png

Do you have access to a smoke machine to check for vacuum leaks? When is the last time you replaced the intake manifold gaskets? I see those bad all the time. You should have double that idle vacuum.

Could you have a clogged injector on that side? Short term should be relatively the same side to side

Take 2 degrees out of each one of these cells

1631244486972.png

The low idle vacuum and the weird side to side performance says there is some kind of mechanical problem that needs to be addressed before more tuning. Just my 2 cents

Reactions: SaturdaysGS

razors4us

Aug 15, 2021
i havent gotten to look at it quite yet today, but i started thinking earlier, the bank that the trims are so much higher is also the side that my wideband is on.... do you think it could be a bad o2 sensor causing it to do that? looking at the readings, it doesnt seem to be cycling quite like the other one, arent they supposed to cycle completely from .1 to .8 volts? obviously im still going to look for vacuum leaks and whatnot, ill go get some new o2 sensors as well, just to rule that out of the equation too. hopefully i get some answers with a smoke machine haha.

Chip

Aug 20, 2021
Sorry I havent got a chance to look at this

The holley system also does not use the o2s/narrow bands which I guess is another plus in its cost savings column

If you have weird o2 performance on one side and you are frying the wideband on that side I think you need to double check for leaks. Are these sensors in the header or both are in the downpipe after the turbo? It would be great if you could post a picture of the engine bay.

If you can get a smoke machine a great test is to make a hardware store fitting adapter and then hook the smoke machine up to the exhaust header if there is an o2 port. This lets you leak test the exhaust hot side. If there is an exhaust leak between manifold/head, at the turbo, at the downpipe, etc that can cause air leaks and fry sensors.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info