• Hi Guest, welcome to TCG 2.0. Please refer to the FAQ in User Support before you do anything else. It will make the transition MUCH easier.

IF YOU ARE SEEING AN "OOPS" ERROR PAGE, IT IS LIKELY BECAUSE YOUR BROWSER HAS NOT UPDATED YOUR CACHE. YOU CAN EITHER CLICK FORUMS AT THE TOP LEFT OR VISIT THECHICAGOGARAGE.COM AND BOOKMARK THAT. - Love, Mook

Exhaust manifold to DP studs :fu:

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Just like it says. I swapped out DPs yesterday and now its "ticking" at the manifold to DP. So I try to back the nuts out to loosen it up and the damn thing passenger side is just refusing to play nice.

It's soaking in PB as I type... FML if it breaks or proves for whatever reason to be a PITA otherwise...

:picard:

Bru

Super Moderator
Donating Member
Reaction score
Yikes. That sucks. I can't remember, are those studs attached to the rear manifold? I've still got my stock manifolds if you break anything and need a new one.

DanJoy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Is it another stock DP? When i went to ported manifolds and 3" DP i just used bolts from the hardware store. That stock hardware was a nightmare to get off. Mine took about a half can of PB blaster and the skin from 4 knuckles.

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Nope, its the same DP... at least at the engine side... that I ran before and it didnt tick then.

I think Im going to have to take it off and see WTF is going on. The stud on the passenger's side looks like it backed out some.... prolly when I took the nuts off to remove the DP.

:fu:

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
Super Moderator
Reaction score
THANK GOD. Both studs backed all the way out attached to the nut on each side.

:fy::fy::fy:

Now to reverse the process w/new studs...

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Something like that :hsugh:

I've got it all back together. Going to see if I can talk wifey into coming out and taking a quick video of me driving it...

Mook

El Presidente
Admin
Reaction score
really? we waited this long for you to pull into a driveway!?!?

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I can't much hear the blower anymore if that's any indication :rofl: Wait for that 2nd vid to load. I went for quiet drive by then smacked the gas for a sec after I passed the camera.

Ron Vogel

Reaction score
Yeah, what you are describing is super-common (I have done a lot of DP swaps). The studs get all wacky and the threads distort. I have run into a few nightmare ones, but fortunately never had to pull a rear mani over it.

Just make sure to chase the threads, and se anti-sieze on the studs. It will make future work much easier. I have learned to love my tap and die sets.

1998gpgt

Reaction score
That little blip sounded reasonably not bad. However I much prefer the sound of the blower to a loud exhaust.

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
Donating Member
Reaction score
I had to change out my rear mani cause i broke my x-over bolts, the rear studs came out nice of course :picard: Then proceeded to break a stud in the front head. F.M.L.

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm going to start looking for another exhaust to try to trade with. I was looking for something more quiet than my old stock cat back that was riddled with holes and bulging-seamed mufflers.

Driving to the train today made me see that its just not going to work out.

ilikemtb999

I eat dirt
Donating Member
Reaction score
Stock ftw. Problem is stock is hard to find apparently. Your stocker now cannot be repaired?

Bru

Super Moderator
Donating Member
Reaction score
Wow that's pretty loud for a non header car.

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If by "repaired" you mean welding in new mufflers and a resonator, sure. :rofl:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom