3800 exhaust cutout installation

Sinister Drag Designs

SinisterDragDesigns.com
Aug 3, 2007
Chicago, IL
i want to put a cut out in right after the cat. what size piping is that 2.5"

also does ANYONE know how to weld that could help me.

and does anyone know where i can get a cutout.. it doesnt have to be electronic the manual kind are fine.
[/b]

Fair muffler in LaGrange can take care of this for you. but i have to ask....why? they are not a performance adder on blower cars unless you are pushing some serious air. and even at that point people drop there exhausts completly. from your mod list i would not say its needed. i would bet it would hurt your low end torque quite a bit. If its for sound i would say save your money because 3800 blower setups sound horrible no matter what you do to cap them, and sound even worse open

DMH is a quality unit. QTP makes one but i have heard nothing but terrible things like units burning out and sealing issues. to tell the truth none of the units seal 100% when closed.
otherwise summit and jegs have universal mech. cutouts.

Xtant12

TCG Elite Member
May 31, 2007
<div class='quotemain'>

and does anyone know where i can get a cutout.. it doesnt have to be electronic the manual kind are fine.
[/b]

i have a Y pipe and a cut out thats electric for sale!

how much are you looking to spend?
[/b][/quote]

how much how much how much???

2000GTPK

Regular
Nov 18, 2008
<div class='quotemain'>

[/b]

Fair muffler in LaGrange can take care of this for you. but i have to ask....why? they are not a performance adder on blower cars unless you are pushing some serious air. and even at that point people drop there exhausts completly. from your mod list i would not say its needed. i would bet it would hurt your low end torque quite a bit. If its for sound i would say save your money because 3800 blower setups sound horrible no matter what you do to cap them, and sound even worse open

DMH is a quality unit. QTP makes one but i have heard nothing but terrible things like units burning out and sealing issues. to tell the truth none of the units seal 100% when closed.
[/b][/quote]

yea ive heard a few 3800's with 1200 or so spent on exhaust mods and they still sound like crap. i figured id just spend like 100 bucks for a cutout and have my car sound the same as a 1200 dollar exhaust system. i wasnt doing it for power i had a cut out in my WS-6 and felt a terrible decrease in power when it was open.

Sinister Drag Designs

SinisterDragDesigns.com
Aug 3, 2007
Chicago, IL
<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>

[/b]

[/b][/quote]

yea ive heard a few 3800's with 1200 or so spent on exhaust mods and they still sound like crap. i figured id just spend like 100 bucks for a cutout and have my car sound the same as a 1200 dollar exhaust system. i wasnt doing it for power i had a cut out in my WS-6 and felt a terrible decrease in power when it was open.
[/b][/quote]
just drop your mufflers. that will sound loud and is free. For how long it takes to uncap a mech. cutout you could just drop your mufflers and be loud and save weight. good luck

I

imported_Ron Vogel

$1200 in exhaust for maybe a 5hp gain...now that's good return!

I'm thinking of piecing a new exhaust together from chopped up pieces of a stocker from the boneyard; like maybe off a big truck or something. I was going to do an a lightweght stanless one...but too much money. Most OEM's are stainless, and late model cars/trucks are using thinner wall stuff to save weight.

My exhaust sounds pretty good to me, but it's 25-30 lbs heavier than stock, so it's time for a change!

$1200 in exhaust for maybe a 5hp gain...now that's good return!

I'm thinking of piecing a new exhaust together from chopped up pieces of a stocker from the boneyard; like maybe off a big truck or something. I was going to do an a lightweght stanless one...but too much money. Most OEM's are stainless, and late model cars/trucks are using thinner wall stuff to save weight.

My exhaust sounds pretty good to me, but it's 25-30 lbs heavier than stock, so it's time for a change!
[/b]
I was thinking of changing my system too. take some bends and other pipes and just piecing them together. let me know if/when you will be going to the J yard I wouldnt mind tagging along and digging around.

Also im going fishing with a buddy on sunday and will be near JC Whitney so ill probably stop in and pick up some u bends or something to piece together the exhaust.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info