• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

🔧 Technical Exhaust cutout for boost

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I Dont Get It Parks And Recreation GIF

Reactions: IceCreamAssassin

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
3" dumped exhaust will still be pretty loud based on personal experience, so at a minimum I'd go with 2.5".

3 inch, through a turbo, through a downpipe, through a muffler, dumped, will not be that loud at all.

was your personal experience based on a setup with a turbo and a muffler?

IceCreamAssassin

When in doubt, throttle out
TCG Premium
Jan 28, 2011
Cary
No the 2.0 is dumped before the axle, Ray's Nova. Zac Browns RX7 runs 2.5 to the back of the car. I'm seeing if I can source the same muffler Ray runs but it's titanium lol.
So many things effect the sound of exhaust. Just get some stock muffler that’s 3” and runs single 3”. It will sounds like a vacuum with a cam. If you try to duplicate someone else’s exhaust on yours, if it’s not exactly the same from size to how it’s routed, to length of pipe to even the pipe material, it’s gonna sound way different. IT’s science man.

Pro Stock John

LS is the best engine
TCG Premium
Sep 20, 2011
Chicago North Side
Um no. :)

I don't even know what 'stock' exhaust is for my '67, probably some sort of oval muffler and it was probably dual 2.5."

I've tried a lot of different exhaust setups over the years and 3" with a cammed LS is still pretty loud unless I ran something like a 18" long oval muffer which I don't want for weight and ground clearance.

While Ray was promoting 2" I think 2.5" is what I'll go with.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Um no. :)

I don't even know what 'stock' exhaust is for my '67, probably some sort of oval muffler and it was probably dual 2.5."

I've tried a lot of different exhaust setups over the years and 3" with a cammed LS is still pretty loud unless I ran something like a 18" long oval muffer which I don't want for weight and ground clearance.

While Ray was promoting 2" I think 2.5" is what I'll go with.

that's so so so so different than a turbo car though :rofl:

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
What is it that the NHRA calls a muffler 4? 6? decibels minimum.....f*** man of course that thing did nothing to quiet it down when you put it on the banana.

A 3800 is well known to be the best most underrated engine for drone on the highway and I can tell from experience.... a turbo with 3-in exhaust through a simple 30-in case MagnaFlow resonator is perfectly livable dumping underneath the back seat. The interior is also mostly exposed sheet metal.

If it were to run all the way to the back it would be even quieter.

It's okay though if you don't want to hang with us little V6 guys.

You going to hang out on the porch enjoying the quiet while the big dogs are out playing.

:s00ls:

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
Guess that jack stand comment stung a little. :)

With a press of a button I can run the car loud like it is. I can have it all.
Buick hasn't been on jack stands in over a year.
Drove it last weekend.

Being scared of a bulletproof stock tiny 206* Cam little V6 shredding yet another (the 12th at this point) $8,000 transaxle.... there you may have a point...

A wagon is so much handier hauling around my tools and car parts doing my side jobs.

And you're almost going to need two different Tunes for the different exhaust diameters affecting everything under the cut out opening point.

It happens on our junk with factory exhaust and cutouts installed all of your fuel trims adaptives and everything go right out the f****** window when you actually start moving more air.

If you have a maf sensor I could see it not being an issue cuz it can directly reference the amount of airflow not just what the manifold pressure is showing.

Remember gm pcms use part throttle non-pe data to extrapolate the long-term fuel trim adjustments up top since it does not have closed loop feedback.

That tiny exhaust could have it learning to pull a ton of fuel and then one day you get on it, happy valve opens, and it is assuming that it needs to continue pulling fuel up top.....

Minimizing the flow difference between cut out open and cut out closed did the most to keep the tune from varying more than 5-6% on fuel trims with the 3" which is way better than 16% with stock 2.25-in exhaust.

It takes time for our computers to adjust unless you just did a hard reset and it's in the rapid trim learn mode.

Just be aware the more drastic you make the difference is the more annoying the transient fueling problems will be.

Just providing some personal experience.

Ps
3800>all

• Haha
Reactions: Yaj Yak
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info