šŸ„ Health Exercise thread - Fitness, Recreational, etc

bimmer4life

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Feb 18, 2008
Wheaton, Illinois
And I get a little of that from the bicycle.

bimmer4life blueoval4life i have to look closer at some of your runs. Canā€™t tell if those are paths or not, that I could ride.

I stay off the street/shoulder as much as I possibly can. Even with a rear facing LED flasher I trust precisely ZERO people on the road.
Depends on the day. This weekend half of it was trails on prairie path, st james , herrick. You can hook up with both Forrest preserves via the prairie path without really touching the street. Herrick has a long loop you can put some good miles down

Reactions: SpeedSpeak2me

01Cobra

Johnny Cobra
May 3, 2006
And I get a little of that from the bicycle.

bimmer4life blueoval4life i have to look closer at some of your runs. Canā€™t tell if those are paths or not, that I could ride.

I stay off the street/shoulder as much as I possibly can. Even with a rear facing LED flasher I trust precisely ZERO people on the road.
Avoid street at all costs. People donā€™t pay attention.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Depends on the day. This weekend half of it was trails on prairie path, st james , herrick. You can hook up with both Forrest preserves via the prairie path without really touching the street. Herrick has a long loop you can put some good miles down
I was thinking this one, for the run out to the river and back. I have to see if itā€™s like the one I did last year.

Post in thread 'Exercise thread - Fitness, Recreational, etc'
https://www.thechicagogarage.com/th...-fitness-recreational-etc.178895/post-4419669

bimmer4life

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Feb 18, 2008
Wheaton, Illinois

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Oh that is definitely ALL road. But yes you can also take the PP or GWT to get out to the fox as well . Which im sure you have done already :)
Yup. Started at my momā€™s in Wheaton, caught the PP right at Roosevelt, then rode it to the river up to Funway, then caught the Batavia spur back to where it tied back into the PP, then back to her place.

Whatā€™s funny is that when I used to go to the school by you (Wiesbrook and Butterfield), it was Wheaton-Warrenville Middle School and I used to ride my bicycle to school. That was back in the late 80ā€™s.

I hadnā€™t ridden the southern branch since then, until last summer. My memory felt the section from Roosevelt to the school was a decent distance. I then went and rode it 35 years later and it took me like 10 minutes, ?.

• Haha
Reactions: bimmer4life

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Oh that is definitely ALL road. But yes you can also take the PP or GWT to get out to the fox as well . Which im sure you have done already :)
Found it, was earlier in the year than I thought. Recalled it being warm and a bit muggy, so like August. It was at the end of May. This year, after I get past the initial saddle-sore, I think I try leaving from home here in CS, go south to catch the Prairie Path into Wheaton, then take the Aurora branch out, come up the river to the Elgin branch, then back home. I think I estimated it to be just over 60 miles. The part that I no longer really favor is along the river itself. It's scenic, but slows you down going around other people and then through the towns.

If you want something that you can just cruise with minimal interruption, take a look at the Wauponsee Glacial Trail, from Joliet to the Kankakee River. From Laraway Rd to the river is 19.25 miles. Or the I&M Canal, from Romeo Rd going north is all paved.
Screen Shot 2022-04-17 at 22.51.52.png

I made a bunch of stops along the way, taking breaks, checking which water fountains actually worked, unloading all the water I was drinking, etc. So average speed was 1.6 mph slower than average moving speed.
1650254119071.png

1650254550634.png

1650254710422.png

Reactions: bimmer4life

bimmer4life

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Feb 18, 2008
Wheaton, Illinois
DEEZUZ DEEZUZ, FirstWorldProblems N20GT, or any NWI peoples,

Have you ridden/used either of these trails in your area?

1 - Erie Lackawanna (from Crown Point to Highland/Hammond)
2 - Oak Savannah & Prairie Duneland (from Oak Ridge to Chesterton)

View attachment 117355
I m not from Indiana but I ran on the Erie Lackawanna trail when daughter was down there for swim meet . Good paved trail goes forever and wide enough for bikes and runners. pretty flat and some nice scenery. I would definitely hit that trail again if I go back down that way. Wouldnt mind moving down to that area. So many houses that are on some large amount of land.

BC3CBF01-6FD3-44CD-B7AD-439098652348.jpeg

Screen Shot 2022-04-19 at 6.26.25 AM.png

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
I m not from Indiana but I ran on the Erie Lackawanna trail when daughter was down there for swim meet . Good paved trail goes forever and wide enough for bikes and runners. pretty flat and some nice scenery. I would definitely hit that trail again if I go back down that way. Wouldnt mind moving down to that area. So many houses that are on some large amount of land.

View attachment 117357

View attachment 117359
Iā€™m going to add that to my list for this season.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
I also got a nice sunburn going. Should have put at least SPF8 or something on my nogginā€™. My forehead burns quick and the thin skin doesnā€™t help.

Not quite halfway back from Willow Springs rd to Romeo Rd, across from the SEPA station. Already turning a nice shade of ā€œawwww fuckā€.

3D235167-4AE9-4C36-BE58-F247435FD96C.jpeg

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Donā€™t forget them damn winds they have been killer
Yeah, yesterday there were a few exposed areas that the headwind was brutal. My bicycle is a 27 speed (3 front, 9 rear). On flat ground with no wind, I'm at 2-6 or 2-7, so just above middle of the gear range. With that I can hold about 12-14 mph at 70-80 cranks per minute.

Yesterday, flat ground I was down to 1-3 and 1-4, doing about 3 mph. I'd have made more progress and beat myself up less had I just walked the bike for those stretches. I ran my Go Pro in Time Warp the whole ride, but went to "real speed" in a few of the exposed windy areas, to see if it would convey how windy it was. The microphone picked up the wind, but was attenuating it, so you don't get a real feel for it.

As I got closer to the starting point, I was looking at the Des Plaines river to my right, and it had so much chop that a small child could have gone surfing on it.

Normally if there are high winds I'll ride a path/trail that runs perpendicular to the wind. The only ones I could think of (yesterday) were all crushed limestone paths. After a day of heavy rain they turn into mush, so wasn't about to attempt them.

But hey, had I not gone out I'd have nothing to add to the thread, :LOL:

bimmer4life

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Feb 18, 2008
Wheaton, Illinois
Iā€™ve been trying to jog 3 miles every other day it took me a couple months before I could go 3 miles now I just need to work at chipping away at the time best Iā€™ve been able to do is a 9:30ish average

View attachment 117720
Good stuff. Keep at it 1quick 1quick . Speed will come as you build that cardio base. And if you do increase weekly mileage make sure it is small jumps 10-15% to avoid silly injuries.

Reactions: 1quick

bimmer4life

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Feb 18, 2008
Wheaton, Illinois
Welp decided to do some mile repeats today. So painful running solo definitely struggle mentally to push. Have not done any speed work in long time .
1 mile warm up 4 miles with 1:30 rest between at threshold then 1 mile cool down. Did not have the drive to push super hard but not to bad for my fitness level.

27458B1D-48D4-4C18-B1DE-BD077E7ACF7D.jpeg

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
More than I got in today. Was going to do a couple of miles walk, but ended up on the phone with my mom for 90 minutes. Yes, I have just enough coordination to walk and talk, but the wind was causing too much background noise.

Finally hung up, got on shoes, made it to the sidewalk in front of the house and the rain started.

That counts, right? ?

Thread Info