Did a bit of a jog yesterday

E8457484-5CBA-4076-A4BE-82EA96314AAD.png

Reactions: rocco

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
Riding into the wind fucking suuuuuuuucks. Ignore the avg heart, watched basically stopped recording and I didn't care enough to adjust it.

View attachment 157617
Thereā€™s been times I was cruising along like damn this is easy today not realizing I had a tail wind, just to turn around 10 miles out and be like oh fuck this is about to suck

• Haha
Reactions: FirstWorldProblems

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
if you are at the same speed, then the volume is really what will maximize caloric burn. moars miles = moar calories.

max cardio benefits, like heart/lung health, probably would involve some bouts of sprinting.
I run a lot faster if I know Iā€™m only going 1 mile, at 3 miles I run a 9:30 ish pace at 1 mile I run a 7:30ish pace, I didnā€™t check my heart rate on the 3 mile run but itā€™s normally 150ish on the faster runs

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
i'll note i'm not a runner.

ignoring impacts on knees, i'm under the impression you'd be overall healthier doing sprints or fast paced stuff as far as heart/lung/cardio health.

for calories burned, i think the biggest factor here is just going to be volume still, so just absolute number of miles. so if you walk 14 miles in a week or run 7 miles, the 14 mile walk is still going to burn more (although take longer) - and if you're doing this for general diet/fat loss then i think any of these (walk or jog or run) will be sufficient enough exercise and it will come down more to your eating habits really as far as fat gained/maintained/lost.

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
Iā€™ve been doing 3 miles every other day now for almost a week, I may throw in a fast pace treadmill mile on a couple of the off days if Iā€™m not sore, the first couple outside runs beat my legs up a bit, Iā€™d have to look back but I feel like my run times are a couple minutes faster after doing more fast paced short runs this winter

bimmer4life

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Feb 18, 2008
Wheaton, Illinois
I run a lot faster if I know Iā€™m only going 1 mile, at 3 miles I run a 9:30 ish pace at 1 mile I run a 7:30ish pace, I didnā€™t check my heart rate on the 3 mile run but itā€™s normally 150ish on the faster runs
i'll note i'm not a runner.

ignoring impacts on knees, i'm under the impression you'd be overall healthier doing sprints or fast paced stuff as far as heart/lung/cardio health.

for calories burned, i think the biggest factor here is just going to be volume still, so just absolute number of miles. so if you walk 14 miles in a week or run 7 miles, the 14 mile walk is still going to burn more (although take longer) - and if you're doing this for general diet/fat loss then i think any of these (walk or jog or run) will be sufficient enough exercise and it will come down more to your eating habits really as far as fat gained/maintained/lost.
Hrmmm. Not sure about that one LOL. Sprinting and longer distance running both are beneficial to cardio and respiratory. I would say sprinting benefits strength, increases muscle mass and works the fast twitch muscles. Running longer distance at an even pace will increase your cardiovasular and respirator endurance. Running further your body becomes accustom to that increase in workload and volumn increases. Personally I think you are better off running the 3 miles every couple days compared to 1 mile a day if you want to increase your endurance and cardio fitness. On the off days walk that mile mint style. Once a week I would work in a speed workout as well with high intensity intervals.

Reactions: 1quick

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora
IMG_7907.jpeg

Quick ride last night. Need to start doing more distance as I want to take a stab at 50 miles by the end of June, and 100 by the end of the summer. Been doing a lot of these shorter shake down rides trying to get the seat and my shoes adjusted for optimum comfort.

Reactions: 1quick

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
View attachment 163500

Quick ride last night. Need to start doing more distance as I want to take a stab at 50 miles by the end of June, and 100 by the end of the summer. Been doing a lot of these shorter shake down rides trying to get the seat and my shoes adjusted for optimum comfort.
Which are you riding, a moped? ?

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
A weird adventure/gravel type road bike.

View attachment 163505
That explains the speed and the mileage aspirations. Mine is good for about 40-50 miles. Wasn't designed for long hauls or sustaining speeds of 15+ mph, cause you run out of gear (and comfort). I'd like to get at least one 60 mile ride this season, then will focus on averaging about 30 miles a ride.

Thread Info