šŸ„ Health Exercise thread - Fitness, Recreational, etc

bimmer4life

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Feb 18, 2008
Wheaton, Illinois
bimmer4life bimmer4life when you jog/run outside in these cold temp, do you use anything to protect your face, other than your manly beard? I need to find something that'll keep my face warm and block the wind, but not fog up glasses (sunglasses).
In these temps I just go uncovered. I only start to put on a balaclava when its sub zero and windy. Otherise they are really annoying to run in . but sometimes its a necessity. I was out there last year in -20 lol

Jimy Bilmo

CSVT OG Member
TCG Premium
TCG Goldmember
Aug 16, 2005
In these temps I just go uncovered. I only start to put on a balaclava when its sub zero and windy. Otherise they are really annoying to run in . but sometimes its a necessity. I was out there last year in -20 lol
I was too, but I can't run with something covering my mouth, so I just had the icy beard.

bimmer4life

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Feb 18, 2008
Wheaton, Illinois
I was too, but I can't run with something covering my mouth, so I just had the icy beard.
Typically I pull the portion down that covers mouth. Until im feeling frostbite and put it back up. I started using one of these and it works great . Just have to get used to it. It pushes out the fabric so you can breath but still get coverage from elements.

Reactions: SpeedSpeak2me

Jimy Bilmo

CSVT OG Member
TCG Premium
TCG Goldmember
Aug 16, 2005
Typically I pull the portion down that covers mouth. Until im feeling frostbite and put it back up. I started using one of these and it works great . Just have to get used to it. It pushes out the fabric so you can breath but still get coverage from elements.

1675274606085.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: SpeedSpeak2me

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Yeah, I doubt I'll be jogging, it'll just be walking, and need something to cover my face, cause my sinuses take a beating. A scarf doesn't work very well, keeps moving around, and just retains all the humidity while exhaling.

I can layer up my legs and upper body, to keep warm and protect against the wind, but just can't find something suitable for my head/face.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
You crazy people out running in weather so cold you get icicles in your beard!

Weight loss since September 2022. Averaged by Week Number to today.

The first 3 entries are when I did 1 3 day fast per week. Which is why the weight drops insanely fast. Unlike what other people say when they do fasting, that weight did NOT come back. For the rest, I really didn't do any more 3 day fasts,

So, I'll probably hit cross under 190 by end of Feb. Few days ago I weighed in at 190.6. The went to an All You Can Eat Sushi place. :)
1676217968959.png

01Cobra

Johnny Cobra
May 3, 2006
You crazy people out running in weather so cold you get icicles in your beard!

Weight loss since September 2022. Averaged by Week Number to today.

The first 3 entries are when I did 1 3 day fast per week. Which is why the weight drops insanely fast. Unlike what other people say when they do fasting, that weight did NOT come back. For the rest, I really didn't do any more 3 day fasts,

So, I'll probably hit cross under 190 by end of Feb. Few days ago I weighed in at 190.6. The went to an All You Can Eat Sushi place. :)
View attachment 151163
Nice slow sustainable loss for the long term. Key to the game. Body transformation is real. Good for you!

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Bumpity. Been slacking lately battling some Achilles pain. So whatā€™s better than going for nice jog in SpeedSpeak2me SpeedSpeak2me stomping grounds. 1quick 1quick you still busting them 4 minute miles

View attachment 153599
I was over there last Sunday for a walk. Place was packed, and fairly muddy. I took that northwest loop that goes along the river, to avoid some of the people walking around talking so loud I could hear them 100 yards away. It was good that I had my hiking boots on, as that divert was quite muddy and sticky. But no one else!

Might go over there this afternoon, or to the one on the west side of downtown Wayne.

bimmer4life

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Feb 18, 2008
Wheaton, Illinois
I was over there last Sunday for a walk. Place was packed, and fairly muddy. I took that northwest loop that goes along the river, to avoid some of the people walking around talking so loud I could hear them 100 yards away. It was good that I had my hiking boots on, as that divert was quite muddy and sticky. But no one else!

Might go over there this afternoon, or to the one on the west side of downtown Wayne.
It was starting to get squishy as it warmed up. Was still hard when I was on it but by noon will be a mess Iā€™m sure .

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
Bumpity. Been slacking lately battling some Achilles pain. So whatā€™s better than going for nice jog in SpeedSpeak2me SpeedSpeak2me stomping grounds. 1quick 1quick you still busting them 4 minute miles

View attachment 153599
Iā€™ve had some lingering sinus and chest congestion, I took a week off of the gym all together but have been back for a week or so now Iā€™ve been setting the treadmill at 8mph and havenā€™t tried to push it at all in quite a while

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Yeah, earlier this week I picked up something from the g/f, who had gotten it from work. Just enough head congestion to ruin your day. After about two hours outside giving her car a wash and I'm breathing a lot better. In a few minutes we're going for a walk. Haven't decided if we're going to McKee, Mallard, or Dunham.

I had overheard someone talking about a nice area in South Barrington, off of Beverly and Penny Rd. But not sure what they were talking about.

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
I felt bad because I missed doing some exercise last couple of days. So I had to get my steps in today. I think I did OK.

View attachment 156197
You walk to the WI border?

I really wanted to get out for a walk today, but my lower back, like L3 down to S1 is a total wreck today. Was fine (as well as it usually is) yesterday, so no idea what I did. Hopefully better tomorrow.

Without any planning I am up to 182.00 miles of indoor cycling for the year, which really isn't as much as I would like to have accomplished.
1679449791696.png

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
Probably not exciting for anyone but me but did my best 5 miles and 10 miles to date.

27 minutes the first 5 and 30 minutes the last 5. Riding into the wind slowed me down.

Starting to be more consistent with my pacing and such.

View attachment 157419
Still a good start. My first rides of the season are usually short, like 8-12 miles for the first few weeks. Just to get back into it. I quickly can ramp it up to 20, 30, and 40+ miles after that.

I like the section of the path north of Elgin, as you went under 90 and up towards Algonquin. They have done a nice job with it. The part that kind of sucks is going through Dundee. Trying to get through town, and having cross streets every block.

For a change of direction, take the path south, and about 1500-2000' south of 20 you can split over along the river at the round-a-bout. Run into South Elgin, cross the river, then run the west side down to Stearns, then cross back and come up the Prairie Path.

Also, if you're looking to collect more data, create a Strava account, it's free. Your watch app might be able to push your data to it. Has a privacy setting where it will mask your start/stop points by about 1/4 mile.

Thread Info