Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike

Washington (CNN)The Environmental Protection Agency is preparing to revoke California's authority to set vehicle emission standards and could make the announcement as early as Wednesday, a source familiar with the plans tells CNN.
The source said the Trump administration will find the EPA previously acted unlawfully by granting the state a waiver from the Clean Air Act and allowing it to develop stricter standards than those of the federal government. About a dozen states have adopted California's standards.

The state and Trump administration have clashed repeatedly including over environmental policy. Industry watchers feared that the Trump administration's plan to freeze federal emission standards, a rollback of tightened standards created by the Obama administration, could have led to two auto markets in the US, one subject to more restrictive California regulations and another linked to significantly less stringent federal standards.

The EPA did not immediately respond to requests for comment on Tuesday afternoon.

President Donald Trump is visiting California as part of his travels this week.

Reactions: SaturdaysGS

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
On one hand, I understand where it came from. The geography kind of captures pollution cause of the mountains.

On the other hand, CARB was instituted long before modern emissions on cars. Late 60's. And I don't think its needed anymore.

Having two standards just creates extra work and forces MFGs to deal with whatever crazy standard California comes up with.

Reactions: Lord Tin Foilhat

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
It'll save the manufacturer's (all of them), money in having to have different setups for where the vehicle is sold/operated.

One size fits all.

Although now states like Maine are becoming more strict.

From mammory, I know GM typically uses these RPO codes for Commiefornia;
NU1
NC1
NC6

And then the remaining 49 states are either NT7 or NT9 Perhaps one or two other based on weight ratings of the vehicle.

But having one standard for the entire country makes it easier for all.

Last edited:

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
I don’t see why this is good. Yea CARB is bad for performance but the other 99% of cars on the road shouldn’t be poisoning the air we breathe just so some greedy ass company can make a few extra bucks. Clean air is good for literally everybody
But emissions has improved tenfold compared to when it was inacted. I highly doubt manufacturers will start putting out vehicles that emit more emissions. It's suicide.

frank

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
It'll save the manufacturer's (all of them), money in having to have different setups for where the vehicle is sold/operated.

One size fits all.

NU1
NC1
NC6

And then the remaining 49 states are either NT7 or NT9 Perhaps one or two other based on weight ratings of the vehicle.

My 02 formula I own was sold new in California and has the NC1 rpo code which is California emissions .

zenriddles

Guns don't kill people, 'vaccines' do
Aug 18, 2005
Holiday Inn
Gosh. I hate to be a stick in the mud here, especially siding WITH environmentalist whackos.

States rights trump federalist control in this respect as I see it.

One cannot cancel a federal level of law but one CAN make local laws under one's own jurisdiction which are MORE strict than the federal regulations.

As much as I hate myself for saying this - I side with California. If they want STRICTER laws, that is within their rights, IMO.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
CARB increases the cost of certifying cars. I mean, if they didn't, then would it even be legal to transfer a car from say IL to CA if it wasn't originally certified with CARB?

California is essentially saying that If your car doesn't meet our specific state standards, then you can't sell it here.

And if 10 other states jump on the same "My Standard" wagon, then you have multiple certifications and the cost associated just to make a car legal for sale in that state.

This is one case where I don't think a state should have that right.

The insane end here is that a car produced for sale in say Montana, might not be legal for road use, or sale in California because it was never certified in California.

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock

One size fits all.

NU1
NC1
NC6

Yea, best thing to do would be to just use Cali emissions for the whole country.... or do only Californians deserve non poisonous air?

Reactions: Bob Kazamakis

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
But emissions has improved tenfold compared to when it was inacted. I highly doubt manufacturers will start putting out vehicles that emit more emissions. It's suicide.

And why do you think emissions are 10x better now? It’s not because we let Arkansas decide how much vehicles should emit.....

And if cars are so good and we’re safe now, how about you run a hose from your tailpipe into your car? I mean, cars don’t pollute anymore and we don’t need to be any better so it should be fine right?

Last edited:
Reactions: Bob Kazamakis

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Emissions have gone down around 17% over the last 10 years.

That number would be much larger if you considered a 60s vehicle over a new one.

It looks like all the varying state laws only amount to a percentage point or two each year. Which is better? Cheaper cars because of cost savings to manufacturers or a point or two a year?

Plus, we may continue to improve under current regulations so we might still have a point or so of improvement.

Last edited:

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Yea, best thing to do would be to just use Cali emissions for the whole country.... or do only Californians deserve non poisonous air?

Are you dieing here in Illinois from the posionous air because we don't have California level emissions requirements?

Also, many other states are equally, if perhaps more stringent than California anymore. California is just the poster child because it was one of the first to enact stricter measures decades ago when no one else was.

This isn't 1975 anymore where California was on the forefront of this and the rest of the nation was ignoring it.

Thirdgen89GTA

Aka "That Focus RS Guy"
TCG Premium
Sep 19, 2010
Rockford
Real Name
Bill
Probably not for old cars that used the Roller tests.

Unless they decide to mandate visual's for all cars.

Right now my GTA doesn't have to pass emissions, its too old and IL removed the IL240 tests because the equipment was too expensive to maintain. I suppose they could bring back an Idle test, and visual. But I don't ever see them putting rollers back in.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info