Engine Shop that knows 3800's in chicagoland?

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
I feel like your thinking way to far into this, set your tune on kill with the basic stuff and back it down 2 notches it will live a long healthy life no matter what garbage e85 you put in it and make plenty of power, back in 2008 when I first started using e85 in a 3800 id never even herd of a flex fuel sensor we tuned it on the stock narrow band on 16lbs of boost non inter cooled l26 with a gen v blower and a cam, it was a blast I drove it for 3 years like that, sold it to my ex who beat the fuck out of it for another 8 years and sold it to someone else, same motor the whole time

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
Octane is a hydrocarbon and an alkane with the chemical formula C8H18, and the condensed structural formula CH3(CH2)6CH3. Octane has many structural isomers that differ by the amount and location of branching in the carbon chain. One of these isomers, 2,2,4-trimethylpentane (isooctane) is used as one of the standard values in the octane rating scale.

Basically I was trying to point out I do know about octane, etc.
The ONLY reason I mentioned the industry minimums about E85 was for everyone's information. I NEVER said it would get that low it just that they are moving the bar. So far the EPA is keeping distributors honest and making them live up to the no lower than 70% but they CAN go lower.
I figured out water laden E85 does have reduced octane and can cause issues underload/boost.
I related that we figured out different rod/ piston combo that is cheaper and gives a forged piston if wanted. Don't want it so be it.
Found a guy working up a different valve body setup for 4t80e and it hopefully will allow direct replacement and use 4t65e controls. hope that actually works . Not sure if anyone wants to try it.
Anyway. Still working towards installing my genV and tuning. Oh the fun. Also just past 10k on my 07 engine.

Without your SERIOUSLY long posts, you should make a thread about that 4T80 stuff. Dave Norris (he's literally the FWD GOD of the 3800 world) has been trying to figure shit like that out for a long time. I don't know where he's at, but he's not selling 4T80's with built internals yet, so if he doesn't know what to do, I really have a hard time believing someone else does.

BUT, this is a forum, we're open to discussion, don't bury it in this thread, make a new one on what he's doing/trying. Let's discuss it, but again, PLEEEEEAAAASEEEEE don't make it impossible to read.

In have two theories on his approach either he is actually modifying the 4t65e controls to operate the '80e or developing an interface that either sits in or on the trans. I doubt but cant possibly rule out he is actually making a completely new valvebody. Hell he is an engineer so anything is possible.
from limited research I did the only real issue is the frequency for the pressure control but then I havent researched it as much as I want. He said he has a subframe out of an 04 GP and figured out mounts that place it right. As for axles I am wondering is he is using stock/modified or is redesigning a shaft and having it cut. He is buddies with fellow at Moser and somehow related to another at Summers Brothers so I dont think axles will be big issue. As for these cars making a transition, I talked to a fellow who is a Grand Prix owners club president I believe in Indy and asked him about people starting to actually bring these cars into the collector fold to a degree. I drove a like 2015/16 Buick and damn spaceship had so many controls even I as a tech had to do research to turn one of the warnings off. Customer traded an older Buick in and she said she actually wanted older car back.
According to a fellow at Dorman, they have a stand alone reader/programer that will read/write your old program from a BCM so you dont need to hit dealer when BCM gets replaced. I also found a unit on amazon that run tis2web to work like older tech 2 (VXDIAG VCX Nano GDS2 and Tech2Win Diagnostic Programming System for GM/Opel) I have been searching for the Drewtech Mongoose for GM but cash has been limited as I am still working towards getting parts for my gen V swap. Member on here has parts I just gotta scrounge up cash, then taxes arent done yet and phone died etc, so I am scrambling a bit!.
Ill keep my eye and ears open for 't80e info. hope it come forth before I need A TRANS.

I figured i should update this thread. I replaced the pistons/rod in the L26 i had with L32 rods/pistons. The rod bearings still looked new, so i didnt touch the crank or main caps. I have about 500 miles on the bottom end now. So far so good. Hopefully it doesnt spin a bearing If this bottom end lives for a few thousand miles it should be good and ill do a turbo set up. So only time will tell.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info