Engine Shop that knows 3800's in chicagoland?

Sounds like you cracked a ringland and all of the combustion was leaking straight to the crankcase. You might have chipped a couple pistons from the sounds of it. It also sounds like the car went lean, so I can only assume you're still running a stock pump?

Also, what are the mods to the car if you don't mind me asking and who tuned it?

Yeah, stock pump with a hotwire. Its a L26 short block with ported heads with bigger valves, ported lower intake, ported blower, VS cam, single roller chain, LS6 springs, ati super damper, Pacesetter headers, zzp 3in exhaust, 60lb injectors, e85, trans has been beefed up alittle. I tuned it myself. Its currently at 19degrees timing with very minimal KR, at least last time i scanned it. I really need a permanent KR gauge of some sort. It went 13.5 @103mph on shit street tires with a 3.4" pulley. I was hoping to get into the 12's with a drag radial and the 3.2" pulley thats on it now.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
yeah, that is going to be on the list of things to do. I really would like to stay away from intercooling (for simplicity reasons) but these shitty M90's just create so much heat.

meh. the intercoolers are simple enough. plenty of factory vehicles with parts you can steal also nowadays.

get a core and piece together a kit.

b4black

before black
Jun 6, 2008
Oswego
I have an intercooler and E85. I don't think they compliment each other well. Both absorb heat, so it seems to me one or the other.

If each one gave you a ½ second improvement separately, together they would be 3/4 a second, not the full second. (Just my opinion.)

My intercooler core started leaking, so I blocked it off for now. I put on a bigger pulley and retarded timing a little, but not nearly as much as I thought I would need too.

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
I have an intercooler and E85. I don't think they compliment each other well. Both absorb heat, so it seems to me one or the other.

If each one gave you a ½ second improvement separately, together they would be 3/4 a second, not the full second. (Just my opinion.)

My intercooler core started leaking, so I blocked it off for now. I put on a bigger pulley and retarded timing a little, but not nearly as much as I thought I would need too.

An intercooler absolutely compliments E85, an intercooler would compliment a bone stock car. I've tuned a lot of 3800 cars and the ones that are intercooled are 99% way easier to tune for than non-intercooled. You're probably having bad luck with it because you're running way too small of a pulley on a basically otherwise stock car. I'd bed that car gains 30whp with a 3.0 or 3.1 and a good tune with a bunch of timing than what you have right now. You're spinning the FUCK out of that blower robbing tons of power and there's no way that engine is flowing it, probably just pilling up boost for no reason.

b4black

before black
Jun 6, 2008
Oswego
I've tried larger pulleys with up to 24° advance and people here were freaking out that was too much timing. Now you freaking out my pulley's too small and you don't even know about the 2.7". I love this place. ;)

Not having bad luck with the car at all, other than it being a magnet for uninsured drivers. Oh, and cracking flexplates.

I totally agree a intercooler compliments a bone stock car. So does E85. Together, not as much. Both remove heat and are trying to do the same job. If one does the job well, the other has less benefit. Just sharing my experience.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I've tried larger pulleys with up to 24° advance and people here were freaking out that was too much timing. Now you freaking out my pulley's too small and you don't even know about the 2.7". I love this place. ;)

Not having bad luck with the car at all, other than it being a magnet for uninsured drivers. Oh, and cracking flexplates.

I totally agree a intercooler compliments a bone stock car. So does E85. Together, not as much. Both remove heat and are trying to do the same job. If one does the job well, the other has less benefit. Just sharing my experience.

there is 100% better 3800 info on here than any other site that's out there...

CHI2000GTP

Grand Prix Junkie
TCG Premium
Dec 1, 2017
Chicago, IL
3800's

I've tuned a lot of 3800 cars...

Really?! Gonna need a tune coming up soon. Maybe in a month or so...Picking up my GTP from welder on Saturday. Need to fix a few things first though. Is an in-car tune something you could help me with?

there is 100% better 3800 info on here than any other site that's out there...

Hmmm... maybe. Coming in at a close 2nd I think.

CHI2000GTP

Grand Prix Junkie
TCG Premium
Dec 1, 2017
Chicago, IL
what's better ?

grandprixforums is back. Was a (.net), now it's a (.com) :bowdown:

Came back to life after being archived and then reloaded by some serious GP loyalists. I don't know of any site that has more How To's and more detailed info on 3800's. Some good info posted on there. Especially when James was still active. He would keep us all in awe with his mastery of 3800 folklore.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info