Engine Rebuild - Lotus TT V8 - Shop Recommendations?

hj16

Tasty!
Mar 1, 2004
Does anyone know of a shop in the Chicagoland area (or anywhere within 3 hours in any direction) that is not only worth recommending on merit, but is also willing and able to touch a V8 Lotus?

A family member sent their 2002 Esprit out of state to a Lotus shop to have some maintenance done, only to get call back after 6 weeks saying they popped the motor doing 'test runs'. They claimed there was a puff of smoke, got it back to the shop, pulled out the borescope and said that piston #1 was 'sideways, only to later claim they want to check the bottom end for a spun bearing. I dont know about you guys, but that raises some red flags to me, and would prefer to get it in the hands of someone who knows what they are doing.

I reached out to AMS, but they dont work on these cars, and unfortunately a quick ask around the shop didnt yield any recommendations.

I understand that these cars are finicky, and the electronics are a nightmare, but the motor itself seems relatively straightforward. 3.5L DOHC TT V8 that only revs to 6500, and doesn't use any exotic materials. If anyone can provide some leads I can call on I would greatly appreciate it.

...and yes, the LSX swap suggestion has already been made

H

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info