• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Engine Noise After Sitting For 2 Months

Marko

TCG Elite Member
Feb 19, 2005
I had some engine noise/knock after starting it for the 1st time in 2 months. It lasted maybe for 5 mins. It went away. It was coming from the front of the engine. Then the engine was quiet as normal. I also had to jump it. No big deal.

Last summer I switched to full syn. oil. Before that I always used the ford syn. blend oil. I've owned this car for over 7 years now and never had this happen before!

I also pushed the accelerator to the floor and cranked it for 15 seconds before starting.

Have any of you guys had this happen? I'm assuming its just from sitting. It only has 5500 miles on it.

qwik01cobra

built,novi2k,t56,solid
Nov 15, 2005
Probably a sticking chain adjuster, dont worry about it if it went away.

FYI the best way to build oil pressure is to just start the engine.
Ive primed new engines with the plugs out and the crank method and it usually takes 60 seconds to build pressure.

just depends on how long its been sitting but that is true about new engines so maybe you should have primed it longer. I started mine today after two months and only turned it over for about 30 secs total and it didnt make a sound but it will if i dont prime it. Also... if it was a sticking chain adj you would def know cause you wouldnt keep the car running you would have a melt down thinking one of your rod bearings fell completely out lmao...

Marko

TCG Elite Member
Feb 19, 2005
Hey guys, sorry it took me so long to comment back! I changed the oil today and went back to the ford syn. blend. The engine is quiet as normal!:biggthump

I also had to get a new battery. No biggie!

I primed the engine (before starting) for at least 3 15 sec. intervals. When I tried to do a 4th, it started:eek: and maybe reved to 3000 rpms. I don't know if my foot slipped off the gas pedal. I don't think so.

Do you guys think it hurt anything?

It's running and sounding great!

RAPER

Regular
Jan 12, 2008
Rockford-ish
Probably a sticking chain adjuster, dont worry about it if it went away.

FYI the best way to build oil pressure is to just start the engine.
Ive primed new engines with the plugs out and the crank method and it usually takes 60 seconds to build pressure.

I agree with the chain adjuster. My friend had one that was fubar'd and it sounded like a horrible knock and it chattered tons. it went bad after an extended period of no use (1 year)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info