Employee stealing from you..have ya' had?

stock-t-bird

HVAC/R PARTS EQUIPMENT
Donating Member
Reaction score
Cant acuse him/her,narrowed it down to 1 or 2 employees...my fault for not locking some doors.Don't want to get into the camera alert thing,which would raise eyebrows/alerts causing future problems...its only a $120 bucks..& Im sure more of(merchandise etc)..no proof

your thoughts,Im sure you have seen/been there

IceCreamAssassin

FBMM
Donating Member
Reaction score
I had a meeting when I knew someone was stealing. Was just a regular meeting, but I slipped in a reminder that anyone caught stealing or giving away product would be fired immediately and have charges pressed against them. Also always told the employees we had cameras even when they didn’t work, n bet had an issue after that meeting.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
Super Moderator
Donating Member
Reaction score
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
It probably won't get better if you ignore it.

You could have a general meeting and mention the missing $$/items without mentioning names. Notify everyone that "missing" items are not acceptable and you hope it ends here.

When my business was open, I had minor cases over the years and the employees usually were not my better people and ended up getting fired. Sometimes, that's the best answer.

A buddy actually called me up a couple days ago to talk about this exact topic at his business. He wanted advice on what to do so I told him to implement better control over his credit card and bank account. Told him to double sign checks and approve each transaction himself. I told him that would send a message to his employee who most likely was dipping into his account. I think she will need to be fired but he wasn't ready to do that yet.

Tree'd on the general meeting comment. ^^ It's a good idea.

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
Donating Member
Reaction score
Worked at a place, the owner had cash stolen. She then had a hidden camera installed in her office without telling anyone. Came in one day, one of the office staff was in the pokey. That was that.

lefty

Reaction score
if you want to catch them install a hidden game camera in the room where the thefts have been taking place and leave the door open. It kinda seems like entrapment but I wouldn't want to feel like I couldn't trust the people working for me.

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
Donating Member
Reaction score
if you want to catch them install a hidden game camera in the room where the thefts have been taking place and leave the door open. It kinda seems like entrapment but I wouldn't want to feel like I couldn't trust the people working for me.
Entrapment doesn’t apply if you aren’t law enforcement.

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
Donating Member
Reaction score
Cant acuse him/her,narrowed it down to 1 or 2 employees...my fault for not locking some doors.Don't want to get into the camera alert thing,which would raise eyebrows/alerts causing future problems...its only a $120 bucks..& Im sure more of(merchandise etc)..no proof

your thoughts,Im sure you have seen/been there
1. It’s your fault for not locking doors. That’s your responsibility.
2. Segregation of duties should be happening to make it easy to identify what point in the process theft is occurring.
3. If 2 is already implemented, see 1.

I don’t think there’s a person here who hasn’t stolen from their workplace.

I think the meeting thing is a good idea as a start. IMO it’s only going to spook someone enough to keep them on their toes for a bit and it’ll start happening again. When it happens again, cameras. If you fire someone and they decide to sue you for wrongful termination it’ll be easy to fight that or avoid all together.

Make it difficult to steal undetected.

cap42

Restoration Hell
Reaction score
I've been there, when I had proof or caught them in the act it was simple. Called the cops had them arrested, there is no argument of wrongful termination when they cops have turned over evidence and a arrest record.

For times when I wasn't sure who it was, I did as others mentioned had a meeting with all employees in attendance and I outlined my above statement here. I let them know I won't tolerate it and what the repercussions are if I were to find out who was stealing. Thieving will still happen when there are opportunities to do so, eliminate the easy access implement as many controls as your capable and take each instance case by case.

blakbearddelite

I'm not one of your 'shit-hole' buddies!
Donating Member
Reaction score
I worked at a company where the A/P manager took like $250k in fake vendor payments. She set up a vendor for her credit card company that had a name that sounded like it was for a logistics company. She got caught years later. How ballsy to steal that kind of money and not expect to get caught.

PANDA

Reaction score
A small business up north had someone stealing money from the cash register. The owner called a meeting asked whoever did it please turn themselves in or the lost money will be taken out from everyone checks that works there. Sounds like they were stealing for a long time and accounting finally figured it out? So my guess it wasn't a few bucks from a single instance. No one admitted to stealing the money so the checks were garnished. (not even sure if that is legal?) Two guys that worked there for 15 years quit. One of them told me this story. He thinks one of the younger employees that works behind the cash register was stealing but no proof.

Just sucks to think about this if you have a small business. You really have to trust your guys.

Mook

El Presidente
Admin
Reaction score
We had an employee take a page of checks from our company book. We didnt find out until they tried to cash one (duh). The stupid thing was....she went to OUR bank that knows us, not her. They knew what our signatures looked like....and there were cameras. The bitch had the nerve to say she was never there AND the dude she brought with her, she tried to pass off as one of us :rofl:

Cops had to take all our fingerprints and shit. Was so ridiculous. We fired her, didnt bother to press charges because it wouldnt have accomplished anything. But man, people are fucking stupid.

CMNTMXR57

GM & Holden Nutswinger
Reaction score
1. It’s your fault for not locking doors. That’s your responsibility.
2. Segregation of duties should be happening to make it easy to identify what point in the process theft is occurring.
3. If 2 is already implemented, see 1.

I don’t think there’s a person here who hasn’t stolen from their workplace.

I think the meeting thing is a good idea as a start. IMO it’s only going to spook someone enough to keep them on their toes for a bit and it’ll start happening again. When it happens again, cameras. If you fire someone and they decide to sue you for wrongful termination it’ll be easy to fight that or avoid all together.

Make it difficult to steal undetected.
Theft is theft...

Rebel

Reaction score
Had an employee steal about $500-$1000 of inventory one day (years ago don't remember the actual amount). Found out within the week as we do inventory checks weekly. Saw them selling it online via their social media. She wasn't very secretive about it. Called the police but South Side detectives wouldn't pursue it. She was fired though.

DanJoy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
We had an employee take a page of checks from our company book. We didnt find out until they tried to cash one (duh). The stupid thing was....she went to OUR bank that knows us, not her. They knew what our signatures looked like....and there were cameras. The bitch had the nerve to say she was never there AND the dude she brought with her, she tried to pass off as one of us :rofl:

Cops had to take all our fingerprints and shit. Was so ridiculous. We fired her, didnt bother to press charges because it wouldnt have accomplished anything. But man, people are fucking stupid.
Was it the carrot stick lady?

importcrew

Forum Sponsor
TCG Sponsor
Donating Member
Reaction score
A small business up north had someone stealing money from the cash register. The owner called a meeting asked whoever did it please turn themselves in or the lost money will be taken out from everyone checks that works there. Sounds like they were stealing for a long time and accounting finally figured it out? So my guess it wasn't a few bucks from a single instance. No one admitted to stealing the money so the checks were garnished. (not even sure if that is legal?) Two guys that worked there for 15 years quit. One of them told me this story. He thinks one of the younger employees that works behind the cash register was stealing but no proof.

Just sucks to think about this if you have a small business. You really have to trust your guys.
Definitely not legal. A company can't garnish people's wages just because they couldn't fi d out who was stealing. Surprised none of the employees took action. I sure as hell would have.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom