• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Emissions question

GottaRide28

Team Octane
Jan 14, 2009
Downers Grove
Real Name
Zack
There are no specific mileage or age limitations. As a rule of thumb I would keep the mileage below 3K per year to be safe. To get the show car status do exactly what I mentioned above.

http://www.epa.state.il.us/air/vim/pdf/show-car.pdf

What insurance company do you have. I have all state and they said they dont have anything specific to declare my car a show car. They recommended me to hagerty insurance, but hagerty won't insure my car bc it's a Ford Focus. I have plenty of money and work into the car but it's a focus so no way. What is it that my insurance can do to declare it a "show car" in the IL submission forum it says you can not just provide a letter. Any insight to this would be very helpful!

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007
What insurance company do you have. I have all state and they said they dont have anything specific to declare my car a show car. They recommended me to hagerty insurance, but hagerty won't insure my car bc it's a Ford Focus. I have plenty of money and work into the car but it's a focus so no way. What is it that my insurance can do to declare it a "show car" in the IL submission forum it says you can not just provide a letter. Any insight to this would be very helpful!

Or, if I haven't passed emission can you up and change your registration to a county that doesn't require emissions and will that take care of it?

Yeah you are in a bit of a situation. I am not sure if I mentioned it to you last night, but my insurance is through Hagerty. I think most insurance companies might link Show Car Insurance with cars being "Classics", which I would assume carries an age stipulation.

I would recommend registering the car in an emissions free area in IL. I am not sure if you will need get the car to pass before you are able to register it in another city/county. I would call the DMV and give them the following story. Say that you will be moving to DeKalb, your car is not running at the moment because you are fixing the emission issue, and you will not have it up & running for a few months. Ask that by the time it is fixed you will already be moved, will it still be necessary to pass emissions?

GottaRide28

Team Octane
Jan 14, 2009
Downers Grove
Real Name
Zack
Yeah you are in a bit of a situation. I am not sure if I mentioned it to you last night, but my insurance is through Hagerty. I think most insurance companies might link Show Car Insurance with cars being "Classics", which I would assume carries an age stipulation.

I would recommend registering the car in an emissions free area in IL. I am not sure if you will need get the car to pass before you are able to register it in another city/county. I would call the DMV and give them the following story. Say that you will be moving to DeKalb, your car is not running at the moment because you are fixing the emission issue, and you will not have it up & running for a few months. Ask that by the time it is fixed you will already be moved, will it still be necessary to pass emissions?

I'll give that a try and see what happens.

blakbearddelite

I'm not one of your 'shit-hole' buddies!
TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
Please keep us (me especially) posted on what Tim says! I called there today and the lady said I have to talk to Tim directly and he didn't answer his phone :(

I spoke to Tim again. He said I just need to send the serial number on the Xcal as well as the code for my car (on mine it is in some kicker panel on the passenger side front). He said he'd e-mail the adjusted file to me.

So I imagine I can just connect the Xcal to the computer and update the tune and then reload it back to the car. He may have to tell me how I go about getting the tune from the e-mail back on to the Xcal. It doesn't sound like he'll charge anything, but I'm still going to send him some money for his time.

Teege24

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
Aug 14, 2011
Cary
I spoke to Tim again. He said I just need to send the serial number on the Xcal as well as the code for my car (on mine it is in some kicker panel on the passenger side front). He said he'd e-mail the adjusted file to me.

So I imagine I can just connect the Xcal to the computer and update the tune and then reload it back to the car. He may have to tell me how I go about getting the tune from the e-mail back on to the Xcal. It doesn't sound like he'll charge anything, but I'm still going to send him some money for his time.

Thanks for the update man! I am going to have to give him a call again. I just don't understand how the change in the tune is going to make everything okay now?

blakbearddelite

I'm not one of your 'shit-hole' buddies!
TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
It is my understanding that he turned off my rear o2 sensors, I'm sure he asked me and I said 'yes'. At the time, I was running some off-road pipes. With the o2 sensors turned off, you would pass emissions because the car isn't throwing any codes.

But now they are testing to see if the o2 sensors are turned off. If they are turned off, it is an automatic fail. That is what I believe is causing me to fail. I just need Tim to turn them back on so that I can pass emissions.

Teege24

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
Aug 14, 2011
Cary
It is my understanding that he turned off my rear o2 sensors, I'm sure he asked me and I said 'yes'. At the time, I was running some off-road pipes. With the o2 sensors turned off, you would pass emissions because the car isn't throwing any codes.

But now they are testing to see if the o2 sensors are turned off. If they are turned off, it is an automatic fail. That is what I believe is causing me to fail. I just need Tim to turn them back on so that I can pass emissions.

You'll need them to read and have sensors there as well

so regardless I'd still be screwed lol :picard:

RICH17

Dr. Pussy Slayer, MD
TCG Premium
Nov 14, 2008
The 007
Real Name
Adam Rich
I had to register my isf at my sister's house out west due to this. no tuning option but the header manufacturer has an O2 sim that lies. I wasn't throwing any cels or codes but failed due to two sensor's stating "not ready". sucks your having these problems too.

How did you register it? Did you just put down a different address other than your license?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info