• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Emissions question

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
So I talked to Emissions place today, even if you haven't passed your emission test you can just register your car to a new area without emissions and you'll automatically be exempt from emissions.

I did however call Jessie white office and asked if you can register your car under a P.O. Box number and you can not. It has to be a physical address.

I did also get advice from the Jessie white office. Told me to look at state farm insurance.

Well after looking at state farm insurance a car that is ten years or older can qualify for "antique auto insurance"
https://www.statefarm.com/insurance/auto/antique-classic-cars
I talked to the state farm representative told him my whole story and he was able to get my car insured. The only thing is I have to drive under 2000 or less miles a year. Also you have to fill out he government paper work to be exempt from emissions and show your proof of insurance with its known limitations.
I don't how much its going to cost me yet they are shooting me a quote later.

I don't believe this. My mom registered her car to a P.O. box last year. Hassle free.

i think the way to do this, is register the car to a physical address outside of the testing area, and then make the mailing address the po box, or perhaps even your own address.

rocket5979

Gearhead
Nov 15, 2005
Round Lake, IL
worded. absolutely. perfectly.

although fwiw, i have passed without the box checked, and with it set to error mode 3, and the guy who needed his cruze tuned like this just passed last month too this way.

Were those boxes that were left unchecked also unchecked in the factory tune, too? Usually when people uncheck a box that was previously checked from the factory, and it pertains to emissions testing, they fail regardless of the error mode setting. Interesting!

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Were those boxes that were left unchecked also unchecked in the factory tune, too? Usually when people uncheck a box that was previously checked from the factory, and it pertains to emissions testing, they fail regardless of the error mode setting. Interesting!

no they were not on either my grand prix or the cruze.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Just to clarify due to confusing wording; in the stock tune you pulled from the car those boxes were not checked from the factory? If so, then that would explain why it passed without them having been checked in the aftermarket custom tune.

The boxes were checked from the factory for P0420, I unchecked them on my tune for my gtp and the one for the cruze, and they both passed emissions.

Teege24

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
Aug 14, 2011
Cary
Quick update:

Tim Barth at Barth Tuning is offering to fix this issue for free(if your car has been tuned by him in the past) and has revised my tune. Have not confirmed with a passed emissions yet but I just wanted to give an update.

Also, I asked Tim if I could give him some $ for his time for fixing this issue. He told me no don't worry about it but also said that I was the first person to offer...Cmon guys if you are apart of TCG and have had your car tuned by Tim please be generous enough to offer him some coin for his hard work and dedication to his customers!

blakbearddelite

I'm not one of your 'shit-hole' buddies!
TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
Quick update:

Tim Barth at Barth Tuning is offering to fix this issue for free(if your car has been tuned by him in the past) and has revised my tune. Have not confirmed with a passed emissions yet but I just wanted to give an update.

Also, I asked Tim if I could give him some $ for his time for fixing this issue. He told me no don't worry about it but also said that I was the first person to offer...Cmon guys if you are apart of TCG and have had your car tuned by Tim please be generous enough to offer him some coin for his hard work and dedication to his customers!

He must have forgotten about me last week asking how much he would like me to send for a revised tune :(

He just replied with the file and no response to me asking how much money to send.

Kainsel

Jan 14, 2010
Another victim here, failed today and passed last 5 tests with Kurgan tune on my Vortech blown Cobra with new cat converters installed a few years ago. Kurgan moved to Georgia, can his tune be adjusted by another tuner to turn on O2 & cat sensor codes?
This whole test is so annoying, our cars are tuned to perfection and fail and people who change their oil maybe every 3 years, pass

rocket5979

Gearhead
Nov 15, 2005
Round Lake, IL
I was thinking, on my Xcal, I could return to stock. Can't you drive on the stock tune and just stay out of boost? The stock tune has the sensors turned on. But I guess if you have a car that can't run on the stock tune, that won't work.

The question is, are you still running a stock MAFS and stock fuel injectors though? Are you still running EGR? If not, then you will probably have some issues with it running; or a DTC popping up. The severity of the issues will depend on how different the aftermarket hardware is, regarding calibration spec, than the OEM.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info