Emissions question

slowStang1

Randall Rd Crew
Reaction score
Has anyone heard of sct tunes not passing emissions? Because I passed two years ago with the same setup I have now, but I didn't pass this year...and I also want to know if I can pass with long tubes and off road x pipe with o2 simulators?

rocket5979

Gearhead
Reaction score
Has anyone heard of sct tunes not passing emissions? Because I passed two years ago with the same setup I have now, but I didn't pass this year...and I also want to know if I can pass with long tubes and off road x pipe with o2 simulators?
The emissions standards changed recently in IL. Because of that, since the way SCT tunes turn off the DTC codes, tuned Fords will not pass emissions if they have had their cats removed and the codes set to not report. I am not aware if Diablo tuned Ford cars are having this issue, but I assume they are as well.

10thredvert

Reaction score
Same problem with diablo tune. Talk to your tuner if SCT tuned as they may be able to adjust counts on second O2.

GottaRide28

Team Octane
Reaction score
Just bringing this alive again, has anyone come up with a correction for this?

I'm having the same issue, and looking for some advice.

1quick

Donating Member
Reaction score
pretty sure its still an issue, change your address on your registration to a place that dosnt have emissions, or try to get exempt from emissions, this is why i live in the middle of nowhere

GottaRide28

Team Octane
Reaction score
unfortunately that's not an option till I pass emissions. Just looking for advice from some mustang guys that have gone through it too.
What options are there for emission exemptions?

1quick

Donating Member
Reaction score
[MENTION=22]syP[/MENTION] would be more help on that

blakbearddelite

I'm not one of your 'shit-hole' buddies!
Donating Member
Reaction score
I just got caught with this bullshit too.

I've never had a problem with my tune until this year. I failed my emissions testing because my o2 sensors are turned off. The only good news is that I should pass since I switched to a catted x-pipe a few years ago.

Now I just have to find someone that can turn my 02 sensors back on.

blakbearddelite

Donating Member
Reaction score
What are the qualifications for that, mileage? I put on less than 1k miles last year.

rz79

Reaction score
Getting a Dyno tune next month, hopefully this will fix this for me as well. LT, no cat H = no pass

blakbearddelite

Donating Member
Reaction score
Yup, I'm just about to call MPH back because I really need them to revise my tune. If I don't re-new by the end of the month, the state will charge another $20 fee.

Teege24

Reaction score
Yup, I'm just about to call MPH back because I really need them to revise my tune. If I don't re-new by the end of the month, the state will charge another $20 fee.
Please keep us (me especially) posted on what Tim says! I called there today and the lady said I have to talk to Tim directly and he didn't answer his phone :(

blakbearddelite

Donating Member
Reaction score
I guess I got lucky because he answered for me. He asked me to get all the info I could to him and he'd look through his records to see if he could find my tune from 2006.

Even if he can't find it, shouldnt he be able to get it from my Xcal or car?

Teege24

Reaction score
I guess I got lucky because he answered for me. He asked me to get all the info I could to him and he'd look through his records to see if he could find my tune from 2006.

You would think so? but I can't say for sure

rocket5979

Gearhead
Reaction score

Yes and no. The filetype that is uploaded to the car is a .ll3 file, which is not readable by the SCT Advantage custom tuning software, because it is an output end-user file only. The readable file that can be opened by Advantage is a .zcf or .mtf file. The reason for this is that it minimizes intellectual property theft by other tuners simply pulling a tune from the car and copying another tuner's work. It doesn't matter that the tuner was the original person who exported the .ll3 end-user file in the first place.

There is some sort of funky .bin dump process that an SCT dealer friend of mine told me about once, but I don't know all the details of it.

He is very likely to still have a copy of your tunefile on his computer. I still have every single one of my former customer's tunefiles that I created for them, and my records go back to 2005. Most custom tuners do this out of habit since the files themselves aren't large.

greasy

I Haz New Teknologee
Donating Member
Reaction score
Mark, get a Show Car declaration added to your insurance policy, print/fill out a Show Car affidavit from the IL EPA website, email in proof of the declaration along with the completed affidavit. You are done, it is that easy.

rocket5979

Gearhead
Reaction score
Mark, get a Show Car declaration added to your insurance policy, print/fill out a Show Car affidavit from the IL EPA website, email in proof of the declaration along with the completed affidavit. You are done, it is that easy.

I need to do this for my Explorer one of these days!

greasy

I Haz New Teknologee
Donating Member
Reaction score
It is seriously so painless I was amazed. For as difficult as this state makes everything else, this is a breeze!

blakbearddelite

Donating Member
Reaction score
Yes and no. The filetype that is uploaded to the car is a .ll3 file, which is not readable by the SCT Advantage custom tuning software, because it is an output end-user file only. The readable file that can be opened by Advantage is a .zcf or .mtf file. The reason for this is that it minimizes intellectual property theft by other tuners simply pulling a tune from the car and copying another tuner's work. It doesn't matter that the tuner was the original person who exported the .ll3 end-user file in the first place.

There is some sort of funky .bin dump process that an SCT dealer friend of mine told me about once, but I don't know all the details of it.

He is very likely to still have a copy of your tunefile on his computer. I still have every single one of my former customer's tunefiles that I created for them, and my records go back to 2005. Most custom tuners do this out of habit since the files themselves aren't large.
I had a separate guy tune my transmission after getting an engine tune from MPH. The transmission guy was able to 'break in' to the MPH tune to and see it to make adjustments. So I know that people can get around any proprietary lock a tuner may try and put on the device.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom