NEW RIDE EmerIdiot's wINFINITI Q70L 3.7 AWD

LikeABauce302

TCG Elite Member
Aug 27, 2013
South suburbs
Real Name
Matt
I blew that up right away. :bowrofl: It was fine until day 3 when I finally read the manual and tried to tune it... I accidentally over-drove it (who knew you could do that?) and blew up the amp. #junk #failfinity

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now onto more important things. Lifetime fluids, ugh. So the 7 speed transmission in this is one of those don't do anything to it and leave it alone transmissions. Well about that.... It had the smallest/slightest shudder an super low granny driving 1-2 shift. Something the dealer would tell you is normal and most people wouldn't notice or care about.

So I phoned our favorite mechanic @bikrboy128 over at the world famous BP/TCG Speed shop and he promptly sent me the instructions on how to swap the fluid. This is a chicken and the egg moment to me. Why are their fluid swap procedures when you aren't supposed to swap fluids? I went to visit the speed shop last night and we had a nice discussion how OEMs want to make their cars seem cheap to maintain until you nuke the trans at 100k (well outside warranty).

55k miles and the fluid was brown, gross.... I am happy to say that this fixed my issue and no studder was detected yesterday or today. He also took care of the diffs, tc, and oil while under there so ready for winter. I always appreciate @bikrboy128 's expertise! :bigthumb:

Cliffs, change your fluids even if you think you don't have to.

Otherwise, I love this car, its awesome and yeah that's all I got for today. Cheers!

It seems like most of the OEMs are doing this with transmissions. My daily driver Ford Escape has lifetime trans fluid. Luckily there is a drain plug and a breather on top of the trans that makes for easy filling. I drain and fill every 30k since it's cheap and easy maintenance. Everytime the fluid is black. I think that's just normal for the lifetime fluids.

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
It seems like most of the OEMs are doing this with transmissions. My daily driver Ford Escape has lifetime trans fluid. Luckily there is a drain plug and a breather on top of the trans that makes for easy filling. I drain and fill every 30k since it's cheap and easy maintenance. Everytime the fluid is black. I think that's just normal for the lifetime fluids.

Thats great you have that fill, He had to push the fluid up from the bottom, thankfully we had a good workaround since his fluid pump died.

Reactions: LikeABauce302

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
TCG Premium
Nov 20, 2008
NWI
first snow fall let’s get together and do donuts!
And risk damaging my PTU....

giphy.gif

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
I was advised to use dealer fluids and did the same. $175 to the stealership for TC, Trans and both diffs. The hilarious part was they had to order some of it. :bowrofl:

$175 for all of that via BP Speed Shop?

I need to take my car there. I think I paid $130 for just the trans, but I was already there and it needed to be done.

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
$175 for all of that via BP Speed Shop?

I need to take my car there. I think I paid $130 for just the trans, but I was already there and it needed to be done.
No just for the fluids at the stealership. I brought them with me.

Of note we did one pass on the trans, 4 quarts. I have seen some people who do 2 or 3 passes which which would obviously use more fluid and cost more.

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
Did you use an Infiniti or Nissan dealer for the fluids?

$175, fuck that's a lot.

I thought about that when I was at the Infiniti dealer... since they are either Nissan or some fluid company branding. The Nissan dealer likely would have had them all in stock too. :ROFLMAO:

I think the breakdown in quarts was:
4 trans
2 rear diff
2 TC
1 front diff

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
I thought about that when I was at the Infiniti dealer... since they are either Nissan or some fluid company branding. The Nissan dealer likely would have had them all in stock too. :ROFLMAO:

I think the breakdown in quarts was:
4 trans
2 rear diff
2 TC
1 front diff
I was thinking of hitting the Nissan dealer since it's a helluva lot closer than any of the Infiniti dealers around here.

Reactions: EmersonHart13

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
I was thinking of hitting the Nissan dealer since it's a helluva lot closer than any of the Infiniti dealers around here.
100% makes sense. For me they are basically next to each other and same owner so I assumed they would be same price, probably use the same parts ordering system, and figured the Infiniti dealer would have better staff and a shorter line. I may have assumed poorly on all of that. lol

Reactions: SpeedSpeak2me

SpeedSpeak2me

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 27, 2018
Real Name
Jim
100% makes sense. For me they are basically next to each other and same owner so I assumed they would be same price, probably use the same parts ordering system, and figured the Infiniti dealer would have better staff and a shorter line. I may have assumed poorly on all of that. lol
And, when you walked up, they likely were knowledgeable about your car. Go into a Nissan dealer and they'll spend most of the time trying to find your Infiniti in the system.... "Um, we don't have a Nissan G70. Do you mean Versa?"

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
And, when you walked up, they likely were knowledgeable about your car. Go into a Nissan dealer and they'll spend most of the time trying to find your Infiniti in the system.... "Um, we don't have a Nissan G70. Do you mean Versa?"
True, they did get it right. I was worried as the parts guy was very timid and likely new.

radioguy6

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2008
Schaumburg
Real Name
Greg
totally missed this thread. Congrats on the new car! I really like those Q70's. I'm a bit surprised you went with another Infiniti after the #failfinity, but the VQ37 is bulletproof.

also personally never had issues with service at Nissan with my old G or Q. Its a Nissan afterall, they just wont do warranty work. You'll save some money on the same parts too.

Thread Info