Johnsburg
Well something happened....

94e98cb0871e1ce7640613c17c9f8840.jpg

Yessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss!

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
Dunno [MENTION=85]EmersonHart13[/MENTION] - the ELR is just sexy.

cadillac-elr.png

But they are both hybrids. Your comment specifically pointed out Hybrid, not volt.

My car is ugly. Fine, I get that. Just admit you misspoke when you complained about my car being a hybrid.

Yes my panties are all bunched up in my sandy vagina about this.

:trump:

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
But they are both hybrids. Your comment specifically pointed out Hybrid, not volt.

My car is ugly. Fine, I get that. Just admit you misspoke when you complained about my car being a hybrid.

I can tell you I would have never even considered the ELR if I hadn’t owned a volt. I scored no “man points” for driving it and it’s almost an intangible quality it possessed but I absolutely loved the volt. Dare to say it was the best vehicle I’ve ever owned.

And the volt isn’t a hybrid, it’s an EREV because technically it’s always electric. Yes yes I know there is one rare scenario where the engine can possibly add torque to the wheels but for all intents and purposes, it is strictly an electric car.

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL

I was really just giving you shit for the lulz, wasn't really disappointed in hybrid at all. I'd rock an actual hybrid with gas-backed EV.

We're good. Need me to pull that thong out with my teeth for ya? :naughty:

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
for when these do get fuel...

do they have to have premium?

im interested to see if/how much your electric bill changes [MENTION=85]EmersonHart13[/MENTION]

Yes these vehicles require premium for two reasons that I know of. One is the ICE is a generator so it usually only runs at high rpm. Secondly is the fuel sits so high octane will retain its octane longer and therefore be less stale. There might be more to it.

My bill is up for sure. Comed already warned me, lol. But I have a high bill already due to a few other factors. I'd like to follow up with you more after I get some more time under my belt. I'm also putting in some energy monitoring items so I can isolate and track the big ticket items in my house. I already measure the garage and hot tub sub panel separately from my main panel but I am going to isolate the EV outlet from the rest of the garage since that also has the chest freezer, garage heater, opener and lights on it.

I pay about .12 cents per kwh. Last night my garage used 11.9 kwh while the Volt charged. That didn't all go to the Volt though. That was from 21:48 to 7:07 as I currently only charge on 110. My level II evse should arrive tomorrow. I think it is fair to say I used 11kwh to charge the volt as I did use the entire charge yesterday so .12 times 11 is 1.32 for the stated range of 38 miles.

I'm hoping the new energy monitoring device shows up today so I can put it into play with the level II. Then I can share my spreadsheet.

I will tell you this, Hot Tubs use so much power when it is as cold as it has been. And the only reason this bothers me is when it is that cold my wife wants nothing to do with using it so I am spending for nothing.

edit:

My buddy has a Pacifica hybrid and comed sent him a notice in december that his bill was up 75%. This was also his first year installing christmas lights.

/mikekwannabepost

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
Short answer no.

Long answer there are lots of variables. The Volt is setup to run the ICE below a certain temp as it is more efficient to run that and provide power than to just use the power. Below 35 or 15 degrees. I tried the 15 and it killed range but makes sense I think if you are using it for short trips.

I am only on 110 currently so preconditioning the car uses battery power to do so as 110 doesn't provide enough juice to warm the car.

Also to get peak range you should head charge it, in that you should finish charging just before you leave for work. So when its cold and using a level II it seems like you should finish charging 20-30 minutes before you leave. Then precondition, then let it top back off. SInce the batteries naturally warm during a charge it helps warm the car and use less energy while getting you a max charge.

That strategy doesn't really work with 110 as the re topping the battery takes like 45 minutes or so.

Yesterday I got 30 miles on battery alone, so half my commute. I cannot plug in at work and currently have the car set for the 35 degree cold setting for assisted heat from the ICE. These are random photos I found online.

IMG_0515.jpg

There is another option that is related to it regarding engine assisted heating while plugged in:

IMG_0512.jpg

I have this enabled. I may try turning it off once I get my level II. I do believe it makes sense to let the ICE do its thing when its cold. Especially on my long drive as I need to use it anyway going 60 miles.

Thread Info