Emerballs' Chevy Colorado

ragingclue

What's a "Super Bowl"?
TCG Premium
Dec 19, 2013
Does the pop n lock not work with the fob?

I've had plenty of uses for mine hauling shit around the property but finally hauled a "decent" load from Romeoville to Pontiac the other day. About 700 lbs of exercise equipment. The rake was gone, that was kind of nice. I also got some of those bullrings that collapse out of the way, they're pretty nifty. I worry about driving it in the winter without splash guards though. Not sure if the paint is going to hold up. I can see the mud/slush/snow pop up over my window sill while driving straight and it gets embedded in the door handles. Streaks all up the side. Not sure if I'm being a worry wart or if it's going to be an actual problem.

ragingclue

What's a "Super Bowl"?
TCG Premium
Dec 19, 2013
Duratracs like to toss things, I know this. Unfortunately what are we gonna do?

Garage Queen?

No, in fact I have been bypassing the use of the beater so far this winter because I like the truck so much and like not having to worry about potential problems/lack of creature comforts with the brick. Not to mention it feels like a tin can that sits on the pavement after driving the truck. Really odd feeling.

But the truck is something I finally just want to keep until it can't run anymore, and I'd like that to be measured in decades and for at least a quarter million miles or so. Not sure why I'm so afraid of rust, but I am. I was going to get fluid film sprayed this year but sat on the idea too long.

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
We garage it and wash it. Hopefully its enough. My wife likes driving it too much to keep the miles way down. I try and get her to drive the volt as much as possible but in the winter that is even harder.

Hopefully this junker doesn't rust right away. I'll be pissed!

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
Just had another tsb done for the trans. Mileage is 11,500

Fluid is new and is $8.51 a quart, so that's 170 in fluid. Takes 3 hours to do the tsb but gm only pays 1.6 for warranty. IMG_20190318_123504.jpeg

TSB and Procedure info:

https://gm-techlink.com/?p=11127

A new transmission fluid exchange procedure and a new formula of Mobil 1 Synthetic LV ATF HP transmission fluid have been released to address torque converter clutch (TCC) shudder conditions on 8L45 and 8L90 8-speed automatic transmissions (RPOs M5N, M5T, M5U, M5X) in some 2015-2017 Escalade, Yukon; 2015-2018 Silverado, Sierra; 2015-2019 Corvette; 2016-2018 CT6; 2016-2019 ATS, CTS, Camaro; and 2017-2019 Colorado and Canyon models.

The new fluid exchange procedure requires the use of the DT-45096 TransFlow Cooler Flush Machine and DT-52263 Transmission Fluid Exchange Tool Kit. (Fig. 10) The tool kit began shipping to dealerships at no charge in late January 2019. All GM dealerships should receive the tool kits by the end of March 2019.

and

https://gm-techlink.com/?p=10531

Recent GM studies have shown that automatic transmission oil cooler flush requirements have limited benefit on many current transmission repairs. Based on the studies, GM will no longer require a mandatory flush and flow test of the transmission oil cooler and the oil cooler pipes — including the auxiliary transmission oil cooler, if equipped — to be performed in every instance of transmission or torque convertor replacements or internal transmission repairs. (Fig. 1) As a result of this policy change, transmission repairs will be simpler, the environmental impact of waste oil will be reduced and Global Warranty Management transaction processing will be simplified.

More info in links I just posted the first paragraph from each...

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
TCG Premium
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
Not sure if you're being sarcastic or serious? I just have a hard time believing that it's a magic fluid issue. Because what happens as the fluid begins to degrade over time/mileage? The issue comes right back, then by that time, YOU'RE stuck footing the bill for that expensive fluid, flush and fill. To me it seems like more a controller issue or even a combination of both.

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
Not sure if you're being sarcastic or serious? I just have a hard time believing that it's a magic fluid issue. Because what happens as the fluid begins to degrade over time/mileage? The issue comes right back, then by that time, YOU'RE stuck footing the bill for that expensive fluid, flush and fill. To me it seems like more a controller issue or even a combination of both.

From the link above:

The TCC shudder condition is related to moisture content in the transmission fluid. The current fluid tends to be hydroscopic, or absorbs moisture, which increases the chance of TCC shudder.

And as mentioned I had the Torque converter changed last year and that didn't fix it. I also have tried GM programming and Trifecta programming on my TCM and I get it both ways. Though the Trifecta programming does minimize it.

Thats what I know right now. Luckily I have a lot of powertrain warranty left.

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
The thing is though, the lock up should compensate for that issue.

I think it happens when it is locking and unlocking. Its a very particular area like 30-40 when its flat and it gets into a higher gear where RPMs drop to about as low as they can go. If you drive aggressively enough you won't ever notice it and I think that is where the tune helps mask it as it hold gears longer and is more aggressive. Also Trifecta might program around lock up better.

Thread Info