🔧 BUILD Emerson Builds an Army Utility Trailer into Camping Overland Off Grid Luxury Suite

General Information

1688756916592.png

:jg: Well actually it didn't just appear there... I had to drive all day and get it:

HOCXBl0.jpg

I guess Yaj Yak and I were having the same sort of idea at the same time and he beat me to the punch and we both took different routes...:werd: Thanks to ilikemtb999 for the knowledge assist.:fy:

It is an M116A3 with an A101A2 bed on it for those that know their lingo.

kmDUQGw.jpg

4d1m1Qj.jpg

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
Edit, camping is in two weeks, forgot we had a wedding next weekend and this weekend is Father's Day

I forgot to elaborate on these pics:

40432-fun-toy-appeared-my-driveway-img_20190611_194711.jpeg

On both the front and the back I added hitch plugs with locking hitch pins. These are Bolt brand which allows you to use the key from your vehicle. So the truck key unlocks these. (I also ordered a matching Bolt coupler lock) By removing a hitch and locking them I hope to keep honest people honest. I also mounted up the trailer data plates that I got off eBay. The skinny one should be on the tongue but I used that spot for something else and drilling into the bed was easier than the thick steel.

40433-fun-toy-appeared-my-driveway-img_20190611_194725.jpeg

I also got my aero flaps mounted. The locking hitch pin for the back is under the bed

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
Just got done talking to my insurance agent. Other than the weird 4 digit VIN insuring this was easier than expected. Thought this info might be useful to some people on here.

Trailers are covered for liability by the tow vehicle.

For my homeowners trailers are covered when on premises and not under tow for up to $3k but subject to my home deductible which is high.

I chose to get comprehensive and collision on mine for a stated value of $4k (this will likely go up) and that is $112 per year with a $250 deductible.

YMMV

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
Just got done talking to my insurance agent. Other than the weird 4 digit VIN insuring this was easier than expected. Thought this info might be useful to some people on here.

Trailers are covered for liability by the tow vehicle.

For my homeowners trailers are covered when on premises and not under tow for up to $3k but subject to my home deductible which is high.

I chose to get comprehensive and collision on mine for a stated value of $4k (this will likely go up) and that is $112 per year with a $250 deductible.

YMMV

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
Lots of small stuff.

Trailer isn't done so lights were MIA and no solid water plan so we winged that too.

My cook set which is awesome is.missinf tongs.

https://www.stanley-pmi.com/shop/adventure-full-kitchen-base-camp-cook-set

Our fan ran off the goal zero all night and had 60 percent battery. On the ride home which was 50 miles and an hour the truck was able to charge it to 80 via trailer wiring.

We were pretty happy with mattress and sleeping bag on top but wife would like to.explore ways to make it a little better.

We need a mat for under the RTT ladder to lock it into place.

Need something for the tongue jack wheel to sit on.

I'd like to set the tailgate up so it's like a truck and stops at 90.

I think e track might get added to the inside of the trailer for some cargo management options.

We used waterproof containers from the container store and they are awesome and a great price.

Ping me there was probably more and my brain suffers memory loss.

Heather was supposed to write stuff down but it was so hot that didn't happen a lot.

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
Another thing we had an issue with. So initially we backed into the driveway and went to setup. Width was an issue so we reconfigured and got that good to go. Dropped the ladder and it wouldn't touch the ground as the gravel was crowned pretty high compared to the ground around it.

So being novice campers we looked around and noticed tire tracks in the grass and just decided to drop it there, where it was flat. No one told us not to and it worked out great.

Not exactly sure how the rules are on that. [MENTION=10343]Bub[/MENTION] can you perhaps clarify that? Of note the people next to us had a camper and dropped their camper in the grass and left the truck on the gravel.

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
https://www.campchef.com/portable-ovens/outdoor-ovens/deluxe-outdoor-camping-oven.html

My wife loves to bake so we decided to go all in and said fuck it. Now we can make cookies, lol

Colorado has a standard 7 pin which includes an always hot 12v wire. Most of the time that is for trickle charging the trailer battery, like the breakaway setup I have.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009RRTF8/?tag=tcg21-20

I just split it and it charges the Goal Zero too. Now I did notice that they were battling for current when I was testing since the breakaway battery hadn't been charged in a while so the Goal Zero wasn't charging. That issue fixed itself since the breakaway charged up on the way out to camping when I didn't have the GZ plugged in since I topped it off at home.

I think the most you are going to get out of the trailer wiring is 10 amps, so if you want more you could run a separate larger line from the battery to the back and use some Anderson connectors, like people use for winches, which is pretty common.

muskie

TCG Elite Member
May 26, 2011
Palatine
[MENTION=85]EmersonHart13[/MENTION]

I was at farm and fleet yesterday and they had a 15gal sprayer with 12v pump for $69.

Even though I had already just about finished my water tank I couldn't resist just having everything self contained and ready to go so I picked one up. Might be worth a look for the water system on the trailer.

https://www.farmandfleet.com/products/g--1563-fimco-spot-sprayer.html

Thread Info