🔧 BUILD Emerson Builds an Army Utility Trailer into Camping Overland Off Grid Luxury Suite

General Information

1688756916592.png

:jg: Well actually it didn't just appear there... I had to drive all day and get it:

HOCXBl0.jpg

I guess Yaj Yak and I were having the same sort of idea at the same time and he beat me to the punch and we both took different routes...:werd: Thanks to ilikemtb999 for the knowledge assist.:fy:

It is an M116A3 with an A101A2 bed on it for those that know their lingo.

kmDUQGw.jpg

4d1m1Qj.jpg

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I like to overkill some times. I was also worried that with the cantilever that it would be a weird lean, but the ladder is a supporting element so that eliminates a really wicked lean.

Ah cap'n I do have a question for you...

I have this: https://www.dutton-lainson.com/proddetail.php?prod=22210

And it goes up and down great, but the wheel on the bottom doesn't turn so good. Like I have to kick it to change direction which is quite annoying. The unit has two grease fittings which I hit hard. Not sure if you know how I might fix this? Otherwise I'll give them a call.

I have of course come across plenty of that style... typically i'm used to kicking them as you describe when there is a solid amount of tongue weight on them.

i'd call them first and see if it's "typical"

if not, ive had better luck with this style turning in my experience.

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Ja...qKUpDrKCgWm7pNL9LSioJjox4nHKbvd4aAqSGEALw_wcB

id just personally likely try the HF version though if i were buying one seperate out of pocket.

https://www.harborfreight.com/1500-...pQtooqKvg8zanSUEzsQEy9sztoHU-iQQaAsjiEALw_wcB

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
I have of course come across plenty of that style... typically i'm used to kicking them as you describe when there is a solid amount of tongue weight on them.

i'd call them first and see if it's "typical"

if not, ive had better luck with this style turning in my experience.

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Ja...qKUpDrKCgWm7pNL9LSioJjox4nHKbvd4aAqSGEALw_wcB

id just personally likely try the HF version though if i were buying one seperate out of pocket.

https://www.harborfreight.com/1500-...pQtooqKvg8zanSUEzsQEy9sztoHU-iQQaAsjiEALw_wcB

I doubt this is a lot of tongue weight though since it handles 1500 and the whole trailer probably weighs that

3 year warranty and I have only had it for 2 so I hope there is something they can do for me. Its probably a separate bearing that isn't greased via the two zerks.

I looked at the Fulton but I wanted the bigger wheel so it would roll better off pavement.

Ill lob a message into them and see what they say.

muskie

TCG Elite Member
May 26, 2011
Palatine
Tongue box will be electrical center. Going to do 2 6 volt golf car batteries and a few outlets, lights, inverter, and charging solutions. I'd like a small solar setup to keep it topped up as well as the ability to charge off the truck and shore power might be a good idea too.

Currently working on getting a tarp made to cover the bed then we need to go look at storage solutions for in the bed. Something like Rubbermaid Action Packers or Contigo Tuff Bins. I'd like an awning for the other side.

I'd also like to switch the wheels to match the Colorado bolt pattern so I can use the truck spare on the trailer or use a trailer tire as a truck spare. The tire under the truck isn't full size anymore and it wont fit a full size so it makes sense. Colorado base trucks offer 16" steelies which is perfect just have to find a cheap pair.

Down the road I'd like a fridge, KJ raves about his truck fridge and I can get on board with the benefits. Maybe some onboard water storage... A water tank seems smart but for now we'll probably just do water jugs.

Oh man good stuff! Keep the bed storage simple like you said especially if you want to keep the trailer usable.

From the first pictures it looks like you reworked the support bars from what you were originally planning. Are those just off a bed rack for a truck? Decided to scrap adjustable?

As far as the water situation I was planning on a 10-15 gallon tank with an RV pump attached to a garden hose even for just truck camping mostly for rinsing off /shower / wash the dog more than drinking. Rather keep drinking water in jugs like you mentioned. One less thing to have to worry about sanitizing or cleaning, but still super great if you are just using it for dishes / cleaning up.

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
Oh man good stuff! Keep the bed storage simple like you said especially if you want to keep the trailer usable.

From the first pictures it looks like you reworked the support bars from what you were originally planning. Are those just off a bed rack for a truck? Decided to scrap adjustable?

As far as the water situation I was planning on a 10-15 gallon tank with an RV pump attached to a garden hose even for just truck camping mostly for rinsing off /shower / wash the dog more than drinking. Rather keep drinking water in jugs like you mentioned. One less thing to have to worry about sanitizing or cleaning, but still super great if you are just using it for dishes / cleaning up.

Adjustable was the hold up.

I couldn't get it to work and kept getting frustrated. I got a work bonus and we needed the money for boring adult stuff but the wife says buy yourself something. So I bought a basic bitch ladder rack and the rest is history.

I'll probably have water eventually. For now electric and an awning are the priority.

I like your plan though

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
Simply.amazing
I didn't know it could get even better... So yea, that's bad ass.
Gracias Gents...

Hoping to sneak away next weekend and give this thing a shakedown run.

Just a couple things to do before that.

Brake adjustment and touch up paint.

Tarp is in process but probably won't be ready for the trip.

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363

hodamn.

that's like a, "real one". $$$$ BALLLLLINNNNN

EMMMERBALLZSTACKS

I think we are looking at camp sites from like Morris to Kankakee to see what still has weekend availability. Its an hourish for us which is good enough to get it out and see what we are missing.

close enough to retreat if need be.

Thread Info