🔧 BUILD Emerson Builds an Army Utility Trailer into Camping Overland Off Grid Luxury Suite

General Information

1688756916592.png

:jg: Well actually it didn't just appear there... I had to drive all day and get it:

HOCXBl0.jpg

I guess Yaj Yak and I were having the same sort of idea at the same time and he beat me to the punch and we both took different routes...:werd: Thanks to ilikemtb999 for the knowledge assist.:fy:

It is an M116A3 with an A101A2 bed on it for those that know their lingo.

kmDUQGw.jpg

4d1m1Qj.jpg

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
So what is it and what do you do with it?

Serious answer. Like [MENTION=19]Yaj Yak[/MENTION] 's thread about his new truck, adventure camping. We are going to start out light and just start hitting the national parks. We were planning a cruise in the Mediterranean next year but we shit canned that when I found out I will be job hunting at the end of the year.

The trailer will be getting a new axles with 32" tires which will lower it a good amount as the current tires are 37s. (tires, axle, and surge for sale down the road) The new axle will most likely be electric brakes instead of surge. Getting rid of all that will take several hundred pounds off as well. I am selling the canopy, bows and sides and they are not part of my build.

Then build a rack, which I borrowed this from a guy who I am stealing a lot ideas from: (Thanks Expedition Portal)

ScreenShot2014-03-18at120029PM_zpse2cafb3f.png

So in the end it will be something less beastly: :noes:

20140829_151040_zpsa5adf6df.jpg

20151004_172054_zpseffrumk7.jpg

IMG_9248_zpsxdylk9m5.jpg

And behind the almighty FJ Cruiser :pedobear:

20150513_185813_zps017ibvi2.jpg

Basically the trailer stays packed and ready to go.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Serious answer. Like [MENTION=19]Yaj Yak[/MENTION] 's thread about his new truck, adventure camping. We are going to start out light and just start hitting the national parks. We were planning a cruise in the Mediterranean next year but we shit canned that when I found out I will be job hunting at the end of the year.

The trailer will be getting a new axles with 32" tires which will lower it a good amount as the current tires are 37s. (tires, axle, and surge for sale down the road) The new axle will most likely be electric brakes instead of surge. Getting rid of all that will take several hundred pounds off as well. I am selling the canopy, bows and sides and they are not part of my build.

Then build a rack, which I borrowed this from a guy who I am stealing a lot ideas from: (Thanks Expedition Portal)

ScreenShot2014-03-18at120029PM_zpse2cafb3f.png

So in the end it will be something less beastly: :noes:

And behind the almighty FJ Cruiser :pedobear:

20150513_185813_zps017ibvi2.jpg

Basically the trailer stays packed and ready to go.

this is awesome. you get an FJ?

also, what RTT you going with? I'm flip/floppin' between CVT & Tepui currently...

Good to know. We aren't going fridge right out of the box. We did invest in a fancy cooler already though. That will be on the upgrade list if we see a need.

https://www.igloocoolers.com/sportsman-70

Thanks

just so you know, if you do pull the trigger, i got mine through TruckFridge.com - Quality true 12 volt DC compressor refrigeration with freezer - Georgetown, KY Exit 129 next to Piolt Truck Center - many models to choose from.

https://www.facebook.com/TruckFridgeKY/?fref=ts

they were running a 25% off sale, and free shipping deal. I got a TB51, it's sweet. i like it.

This thread makes me smile lots

me tooooo

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
M105 data plate for reference:

77b1db72-95a1-4a5c-9c80-86ee70cc2748-11092015-cropped-DP1-6-2F.jpg

Significantly heavier than what I purchased and not applicable to this discussion.

This thread makes me smile lots

I KNEW IT WOOD

this is awesome. you get an FJ?

also, what RTT you going with? I'm flip/floppin' between CVT & Tepui currently...

just so you know, if you do pull the trigger, i got mine through TruckFridge.com - Quality true 12 volt DC compressor refrigeration with freezer - Georgetown, KY Exit 129 next to Piolt Truck Center - many models to choose from.

https://www.facebook.com/TruckFridgeKY/?fref=ts

they were running a 25% off sale, and free shipping deal. I got a TB51, it's sweet. i like it.

me tooooo

I don't have an FJ, my brother used to. Still have Montero Sport in second photo.

As far as RTT I have only done preliminary research but being a tall lanky bastard I have been looking at the oversize tents designed for 3-4 people as they typically have room for my tall ass. The wife has also informed than an annex is required as well as an awning.

I'll check ou that fridge.

also, what will this weigh all said and done?

So right now it weighs approximately 1500lbs plus. Since this trailer is a mutt I cannot be for sure but look at the data plates I attached. My Montero like most mid sized SUVs can tow 5k lbs though since it is older it definitely doesn't like towing all 5k and it is a coil rear. I added helper bags a long time ago so it took the weight like a champ. I also recently leveled it and even with the trailer it stayed pretty level.

I pulled it home with the surge brakes disabled as they are touchy and at 1500 lbs I had no problems stopping it. I think the surge shock is worn out and causes the brakes too actuate too easily.

Losing the 37s, surge hardware, and heavy duty axle I am expecting to lose around 500 based on what I read. Really that doesn't matter as I am obviously going to add stuff back on. The plan is to be under 2000 lbs loaded up with a max of 2500. If I am more than 2500 lbs I have too much stuff or I need a bigger tow rig.

There is household debate about that right now but as I mentioned my job is going away so that isn't happening now.

Thread Info