🔧 BUILD Emerson Builds an Army Utility Trailer into Camping Overland Off Grid Luxury Suite

General Information

1688756916592.png

:jg: Well actually it didn't just appear there... I had to drive all day and get it:

HOCXBl0.jpg

I guess Yaj Yak and I were having the same sort of idea at the same time and he beat me to the punch and we both took different routes...:werd: Thanks to ilikemtb999 for the knowledge assist.:fy:

It is an M116A3 with an A101A2 bed on it for those that know their lingo.

kmDUQGw.jpg

4d1m1Qj.jpg

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
im looking at similar size tents, for similar reasons to you, the tepui one i like... and i love the idea of the annex too, definitely necessary... awning is a go also.

im pumped you're doing this :rofl: this is what im planning on doing with my truck, but youll definitely have more offroad capability.

Sweet, I'll admit the first big tent that caught my eye was the smittybilt XL because of the XL I knew it was bigger. I found out the mattress is supposed to be: 92.5" x 74.8"

That sounds absolutely amazing.

Offroad? I suppose yet I should because I can always leave it all behind. As I mentioned we will be working up to that. Going easy and doing national parks first. Wife wants a truck down the road so whatever we get there has to be equally off road worthy and would definitely add towing capacity.

We sleep on a king at home and I really need to be as close as possible to it. My wife gets really hot when she sleeps and if we are on top of each other we both won't be happy. We are going to be trading a lot of notes on this subject I believe.

I won't be buying a tent until I get the rack built though.

Damn this is cool! Subscribing.........

Thanks

This is awesome.

Thanks! I was looking at trailers in WI and was going to possibly have you drag it south for me, but this one was way nicer for better money so I went and grabbed it myself.

So much win in here.

:fy:

All I do is win win win win win win win because emerballs

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
yeah offroad...

montero and a trailer > long bed heavy ass one tun truck :rofl:

but i dont really plan on trying to navigate some jeep trails or some shit.

mostly gravel roads, some water crossings and old wagon trail-type shit. :fy:

Sounds about right. I'm not looking to rock crawl or anything like that. If I want to do that I'll drive to Joel's house and jump in his CUCV and we can camp in my trailer. Ya know since it was sort of designed to hook up to his beast.

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
right, that's where im at, if im doing it, i want it to be right... and cvt's summit series has caught my eye as well.. but 3k... :ugh:

Yeah! Right is good but spending triple also is a hard pill to swallow... It isn't like I am depending on this thing for my life and using it for weeks at a time several times a year.

I know it is a balance thing. Also budget is important with this build. If I was gonna just spend like Obama I could have bought a pre built trailer and ran. The one I am modeling mine after sold for 6k... So spending more than that would probably be bad considering I will be DIYing a lot of it.

i like that the cvt guys & tepui guys seem to be REALLY active online, on expedition portal especially.

True they are devoted to the community. I'm not opposed to a used one but usually they aren't nearby and aren't the bigger size.

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
Sub'd mainly for adventure pics when they start happening. This is such a cool idea - I never had the chance to do this kind of thing, but it seems like a damn good time to me.

I'd love to say adventure will be this fall but more than likely not. If I get moving really quick we might do a shakedown run this fall to something local but real adventure won't be until next year. I want to have it ready to go after year end.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Yeah! Right is good but spending triple also is a hard pill to swallow... It isn't like I am depending on this thing for my life and using it for weeks at a time several times a year.

I know it is a balance thing. Also budget is important with this build. If I was gonna just spend like Obama I could have bought a pre built trailer and ran. The one I am modeling mine after sold for 6k... So spending more than that would probably be bad considering I will be DIYing a lot of it.

True they are devoted to the community. I'm not opposed to a used one but usually they aren't nearby and aren't the bigger size.

the grand sabanna one, i posted, is $2100 from tepui, but includes the annex, and expeditionportal people are eligible for 10% discount code...

annex is huge to me too... so smitty built plus annex, you might be close tot he price of the tepui.

or buy from REI and get 10% back at the end of the year too.

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
the grand sabanna one, i posted, is $2100 from tepui, but includes the annex, and expeditionportal people are eligible for 10% discount code...

annex is huge to me too... so smitty built plus annex, you might be close tot he price of the tepui.

or buy from REI and get 10% back at the end of the year too.

Oh sir, the plot thickens. I didn't realize anything included the annex. Game changer. This just shows I haven't done a ton of research. I needed the trailer in my driveway first.

We're gonna need a spreadsheet.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I'd love to say adventure will be this fall but more than likely not. If I get moving really quick we might do a shakedown run this fall to something local but real adventure won't be until next year. I want to have it ready to go after year end.

im shooting for next spring as well, maybe try something little this fall.

we should maybe just start an overland thread...

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
Thanks! I was looking at trailers in WI and was going to possibly have you drag it south for me, but this one was way nicer for better money so I went and grabbed it myself.

I would've had no problem with that, I'm usually dead-heading one way or another from Hayward... But you're right, every single one of those trailers I've seen up there is roached. It seems like there was a huge influx of them like 15 years ago, and they're all beat now. There's a lot of old military stuff in Hayward because of the National Guard base in town

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Oh sir, the plot thickens. I didn't realize anything included the annex. Game changer. This just shows I haven't done a ton of research. I needed the trailer in my driveway first.

We're gonna need a spreadsheet.

there is a spreadsheet, it's fucking awesome.

someone put a FUCK TON of time into it... ill find it.

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
I would've had no problem with that, I'm usually dead-heading one way or another from Hayward... But you're right, every single one of those trailers I've seen up there is roached. It seems like there was a huge influx of them like 15 years ago, and they're all beat now. There's a lot of old military stuff in Hayward because of the National Guard base in town

That is what I figured! The one I grabbed had 10 pictures, a great description and the price was right. Having the full canopy is huge as I can resell it and make a good portion of my money back. Also being an A3 on Humvee wheels helps as those are worth more than 9 lug GM wheels which are on the A2s.

there is a spreadsheet, it's fucking awesome.

someone put a FUCK TON of time into it... ill find it.

I love you man

Thread Info