OP
EmersonHart13

EmersonHart13

UNSUBSCRIBE
Donating Member
Reaction score
Schedule is this weekend photos for Herculiner because #freeshit

Next weekend camp and enjoy #finally

I need to get some totes and start packing stuff up. I think we have a full kitchen ready to go though I still don't have a grill.

OP
EmersonHart13

EmersonHart13

UNSUBSCRIBE
Donating Member
Reaction score
Edit, camping is in two weeks, forgot we had a wedding next weekend and this weekend is Father's Day

I forgot to elaborate on these pics:

On both the front and the back I added hitch plugs with locking hitch pins. These are Bolt brand which allows you to use the key from your vehicle. So the truck key unlocks these. (I also ordered a matching Bolt coupler lock) By removing a hitch and locking them I hope to keep honest people honest. I also mounted up the trailer data plates that I got off eBay. The skinny one should be on the tongue but I used that spot for something else and drilling into the bed was easier than the thick steel.

I also got my aero flaps mounted. The locking hitch pin for the back is under the bed

OP
EmersonHart13

EmersonHart13

UNSUBSCRIBE
Donating Member
Reaction score
[MENTION=5]Mook[/MENTION]

Title Change? "Emerballs's Bug Out/Expedition/Sex Trailer Build" I dunno, make something up like you do.

OP
EmersonHart13

EmersonHart13

UNSUBSCRIBE
Donating Member
Reaction score
Just got done talking to my insurance agent. Other than the weird 4 digit VIN insuring this was easier than expected. Thought this info might be useful to some people on here.

Trailers are covered for liability by the tow vehicle.

For my homeowners trailers are covered when on premises and not under tow for up to $3k but subject to my home deductible which is high.

I chose to get comprehensive and collision on mine for a stated value of $4k (this will likely go up) and that is $112 per year with a $250 deductible.

YMMV

OP
EmersonHart13

EmersonHart13

UNSUBSCRIBE
Donating Member
Reaction score
Just got done talking to my insurance agent. Other than the weird 4 digit VIN insuring this was easier than expected. Thought this info might be useful to some people on here.

Trailers are covered for liability by the tow vehicle.

For my homeowners trailers are covered when on premises and not under tow for up to $3k but subject to my home deductible which is high.

I chose to get comprehensive and collision on mine for a stated value of $4k (this will likely go up) and that is $112 per year with a $250 deductible.

YMMV

OP
EmersonHart13

EmersonHart13

UNSUBSCRIBE
Donating Member
Reaction score
Went to Illini State Park last night.... It was hot and we were thankful to have a fan!

IMG_20190629_174215.jpeg
IMG_20190629_174033.jpeg
IMG_20190629_190225.jpeg
IMG_20190629_174001.jpeg
IMG_20190629_174226.jpeg

Last edited:

DEEZUZ

Yea but how many acres..?
Donating Member
Reaction score
thats great and all....... but are you ....... boiling hot dogs...?

OP
EmersonHart13

EmersonHart13

UNSUBSCRIBE
Donating Member
Reaction score
thats great and all....... but are you ....... boiling hot dogs...?
Pan fry. I don't have a grill yet and we also didn't have firewood yet.

We were supposed to buy it in the way and it slipped our minds.

muskie

TCG Elite Member
Reaction score
Just came to ask for an update on the trip and totally missed this post from the other day!

Looks great.

Anything you wish you had, or anything you found that needs tweaking?

OP
EmersonHart13

EmersonHart13

UNSUBSCRIBE
Donating Member
Reaction score
Lots of small stuff.

Trailer isn't done so lights were MIA and no solid water plan so we winged that too.

My cook set which is awesome is.missinf tongs.

https://www.stanley-pmi.com/shop/adventure-full-kitchen-base-camp-cook-set

Our fan ran off the goal zero all night and had 60 percent battery. On the ride home which was 50 miles and an hour the truck was able to charge it to 80 via trailer wiring.

We were pretty happy with mattress and sleeping bag on top but wife would like to.explore ways to make it a little better.

We need a mat for under the RTT ladder to lock it into place.

Need something for the tongue jack wheel to sit on.

I'd like to set the tailgate up so it's like a truck and stops at 90.

I think e track might get added to the inside of the trailer for some cargo management options.

We used waterproof containers from the container store and they are awesome and a great price.

Ping me there was probably more and my brain suffers memory loss.

Heather was supposed to write stuff down but it was so hot that didn't happen a lot.

OP
EmersonHart13

EmersonHart13

UNSUBSCRIBE
Donating Member
Reaction score
That looks sweet John, great job!

Also when are you taking me camping? :pedobear:
There have been secret side chats of a TCG camping trip at some point. But fear not they will be less secret if we can ever come to a consensus on any of it. LOL

OP
EmersonHart13

EmersonHart13

UNSUBSCRIBE
Donating Member
Reaction score
Another thing we had an issue with. So initially we backed into the driveway and went to setup. Width was an issue so we reconfigured and got that good to go. Dropped the ladder and it wouldn't touch the ground as the gravel was crowned pretty high compared to the ground around it.

So being novice campers we looked around and noticed tire tracks in the grass and just decided to drop it there, where it was flat. No one told us not to and it worked out great.

Not exactly sure how the rules are on that. [MENTION=10343]Bub[/MENTION] can you perhaps clarify that? Of note the people next to us had a camper and dropped their camper in the grass and left the truck on the gravel.

muskie

TCG Elite Member
Reaction score
What kind of stove / oven is that? I hadn't really considered a range setup but that looks pretty nifty.

Anything special you had to do to charge of the trailer wiring or just tap into the 12v?

OP
EmersonHart13

EmersonHart13

UNSUBSCRIBE
Donating Member
Reaction score
https://www.campchef.com/portable-ovens/outdoor-ovens/deluxe-outdoor-camping-oven.html

My wife loves to bake so we decided to go all in and said fuck it. Now we can make cookies, lol

Colorado has a standard 7 pin which includes an always hot 12v wire. Most of the time that is for trickle charging the trailer battery, like the breakaway setup I have.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009RRTF8/?tag=tcg2007-20

I just split it and it charges the Goal Zero too. Now I did notice that they were battling for current when I was testing since the breakaway battery hadn't been charged in a while so the Goal Zero wasn't charging. That issue fixed itself since the breakaway charged up on the way out to camping when I didn't have the GZ plugged in since I topped it off at home.

I think the most you are going to get out of the trailer wiring is 10 amps, so if you want more you could run a separate larger line from the battery to the back and use some Anderson connectors, like people use for winches, which is pretty common.

muskie

TCG Elite Member
Reaction score
[MENTION=85]EmersonHart13[/MENTION]

I was at farm and fleet yesterday and they had a 15gal sprayer with 12v pump for $69.

Even though I had already just about finished my water tank I couldn't resist just having everything self contained and ready to go so I picked one up. Might be worth a look for the water system on the trailer.

https://www.farmandfleet.com/products/g--1563-fimco-spot-sprayer.html

OP
EmersonHart13

EmersonHart13

UNSUBSCRIBE
Donating Member
Reaction score
Interesting. Yes that would package nicely...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom