• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Electronic boost controller

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
nah, your not gonna want 3 different settings, you can do that with 3 manual valves and a few emissions solenoids wired to two switches for 2nd/3rd level.

what you really want is boost control with a ramp rate/per gear limiter

whats the point in a sudden 10psi boost increase when all you do is blow the tires off....you want it to ramp into the new setting reducing the shock/driveline damage

our MSBC1 by innovate/exile has 6 stages, but the only plus to that many levels of boost, is that it lets you program the rate of increase over time, but the stage button can automatically force you past the timer/ramp directly to the next setting.

you may be wanting one of the boost leash systems that is far more inclusive/expensive

Dennisn

Regular
Sep 30, 2015
Streamwood
I've looked into the real expensive ones that'll do boost by mph. Not looking to spend 1000+ on one.

I'm an auto so none of the mid level appear to do boost by gear. (They change when seeing clutch engaged). Main reason is it's a pain to change springs in the waste gates. It'd be nice to run 8 lbs in winter on pump gas. Move up to maybe 10 or 12 lbs on street in summer on e85 then the 14 lb at the track.

Eboost2 as well as the boostleash appear to do what I want but I like the looks of the eboost2 better it'll fit in a gauge pod.

willizm

Very Nice, Very Evil
May 13, 2009
The Woodlands, TX
Looked at the aem, appears only has two boost setttings. I'm definitely looking for at least three most likely four different boost settings.

It's actually 3 boost settings if you think about it. 2 settings for boost levels and one for spring pressure.

I'd say the truboost is great if you want a nice controller and also the turbosmart once is a good option. I use to have a truboost but more recently went to the boost/pulse leash setup since I had a tbrake to tie in and also wanted to ramp over time instead of just commanding a set boost pressure to help keep the car from spinning at the track

Handsome Jesus

A V6? What a ripoff...
TCG Premium
Jun 9, 2007
Carpentersville, IL
Not sure why a fancy controller is required to do what you want to do. Put a manual boost controller on the car with an 8 psi spring in the gate and be done.

If you are changing it based on season, a manual is what you want. It costs about $75 for a really fancy one.

I personally run a CO2 based Boost Leash system. 3 psi spring in the gate and CO2 does the rest. Costs a lot. Works well for racecar. I don't think you need it.

willizm

Very Nice, Very Evil
May 13, 2009
The Woodlands, TX
So with the turn of a switch I can select 8,10,12,or 14 psi with a manual controller?

It's not a switch, it's an actual valve that you manipulate to raise or lower boost. Think of it like a water spigot. I'd get the arm truboost or turbo smart. If you need a step up from there I'd recommend the boost leash like handsome Jesus and I use. I don't use co2 and it works fine for my needs.

Dennisn

Regular
Sep 30, 2015
Streamwood
Is the valve precise? Meaning does it have exact settings (clicks or something of that nature). if it does not I'll spend the money on an electronic. Set my four different boost settings and call it a day.

It is not a race car but want the capability of choosing whatever boost I want whenever I want and know it'll produce the exact amount I desire.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
You can get the dual stage Turbosmart manual boost controller. So you can set it for a low and high boost setting. Which you pick with the flip of an electrical switch. You can hear the "clicks" of the dial when he turns them. As it has a spring detent that gives each position an exact position and positive feel when engaging that position.

parts_BoostTee.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrCQPiiUjZ0

I know you like electrical stuff. You may be able to come up with a way to set it up to run the low boost setting as a launch setting and then turn on the high boost setting when you go into another gear. So with a little effort, you might be able to make it help bring in more boost on a pass.

willizm

Very Nice, Very Evil
May 13, 2009
The Woodlands, TX
Is the valve precise? Meaning does it have exact settings (clicks or something of that nature). if it does not I'll spend the money on an electronic. Set my four different boost settings and call it a day.

It is not a race car but want the capability of choosing whatever boost I want whenever I want and know it'll produce the exact amount I desire.

If that is the then I'd think you'd want a controller like the truboost or turbo smart since it fits in a pod and you can program your desired boost levels and can quickly select which one you want to run without the guesswork of what it's going to produce.

GIMPY

TCG Elite Member
Feb 21, 2009
Elgin
I would personally run either the ams 500 or the leash electronics boost controller. The leash is a knock off ams 1000 for half the price.. from my understanding they no longer make the ams1000 anymore anyways. I guess it was discontinued and the ams2000 took its place. For the price of the ams2000 you could buy a holley hp ecu with harness and the boost controller is built in it with all the same options of a ams2000. I know your not looking to spend that kind of money but just throwing it out there for future refrence

Precision Turbo and Engine: NLR AMS-500 Boost Controller

Boost Controller

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info