• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

🔧 Technical Electric Water Heater Issues

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
A couple of days ago my upper element burned up, so I replaced it and I have been unable to get hot water since. For some reason the 4500w elements are only pulling 4.7 amps.
I checked each thermostat and each heating element and all checks out perfectly fine. I completely drained and cleaned out the water heater as well. I am getting 235 volts to the heater and elements as well. So I am at a loss now.

what could cause the heating elements to only pull less than a 1/3 of the amps they are supposed to? I would appreciate any thoughts at all. Thanks dudes.

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
:fu:

I know your plight, I’m going on a week now without hot water. Hoping the correct fix shows up today. Shipping has been so unreliable on everything I’ve tried to get.
That absolutely sucks. Shipping is brutal these days. I ran around town finding parts I initially needed because everything online was set to arrive the week after next. Problem with some of the parts is they didn’t have them in town but thankfully I didn’t end up needing those. Good luck mano

Reactions: Bob Kazamakis

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
Looks like digging a car sized hole is in my future tomorrow. Dug down a bit today as a guess and turned the water back on. I found you, you son of a bitch. Or, at least the general area.

2DFD57BC-E137-4627-BC06-55DABCBBD5DC.jpeg

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
So is that the line in to the house or do you have a crawl space this is leaking out of?
From what I can tell it is the hot water line coming out of the heater and going down into the slab. I am just hoping that the copper pipe shoots below the slab so it can be dug up and fixed. Not sure I want to be any part of tearing into the foundation and having to fix it after

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info