Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike

It's no secret that Ford is preparing an electric F-150. The company has officially announced its intention to enter the EV market space, with rivals promised from GMC's Hummer EV, Tesla's Cybertruck, Rivian's R1T, among many others. Now, we know it'll be here by mid 2022, thanks to Ford's chief operating officer Jim Farley.

According to Automotive News, Farley said on an investor call that the electric F-150 would be on the market within 24 months. That means before June of 2022. Ford will also bring an electric Transit to market around then, Farley said.

Besides that, few details about the electric F-150 have been released. We know that it'll be built in house by Ford rather than with the help of Rivian, the EV startup Ford invested in. A prototype also starred in a promotional video where it towed a train, though that stunt was not as impressive as it looked. And since it was just a development mule, we'll have to wait to see what the final F-150 EV will look like, how far it'll go on a charge, and how it really stands up to towing.

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
I’m really kinda shocked that one of the big three hasn’t made a hybrid as of yet.

Didnt gm build a hybrid with a Tahoe some time back? Was it not a good idea? Or did the consumer not want it at that time?
What Yakjak said. You could get them in Escalade, Yukon, and Avalanche form too IIRC. My understanding was that they were way too pricey for how how little you got in terms of efficiency. A quick google showed me that the '13 Tahoe Hybrid came with a 6.0 and 369hp and 20/23 mpg. That's pretty good for a 6.0 but why not mate it to a 4.8 to get mid-upper 20s and similar power to a basic Tahoe? While the MPG from the 6.0 hybrid is a hell of a jump from 16 or whatever you would get from a base model, it doesn't sound impressive from a marketing standpoint. It also cost over 50k for a Tahoe Hybrid in 2007 which is just ludicrous.

Reactions: Eagle

MikeyLikesIt

PHEV Enthusiast
Jun 11, 2009
Downers Grove
My dream truck is still a plug-in hybrid with 50 miles of electric range and then a normal engine. I'll use the F150 since that is what I am most familiar with.

Give me the F150 with 50 miles of electric range, the 3.5l Ecoboost, 36 gallon tank and since I am dreaming, add the new 7.2k generator. I'm not an electrical whiz, but couldn't that be configured to input electricity to a set of batteries?
If so, they're almost there!

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
My dream truck is still a plug-in hybrid with 50 miles of electric range and then a normal engine. I'll use the F150 since that is what I am most familiar with.

Give me the F150 with 50 miles of electric range, the 3.5l Ecoboost, 36 gallon tank and since I am dreaming, add the new 7.2k generator. I'm not an electrical whiz, but couldn't that be configured to input electricity to a set of batteries?
giphy.gif

Reactions: Mr_Roboto

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
I just don’t understand where Ford is going to get batteries from. sure they can make a few thousand no problem, but making any reasonable number of electric pickups and you’ll need a shit ton of batteries. Where are they getting those?

A now-limited partnership with SK Innovation, who also provide VW ID.4 batteries. SK was busted over intellectual property issues, so Ford and VW only have a few years of batteries after a ban on the production of said parts.

However, Ford and Rivian are in cahoots. The partnership was supposed to birth a car, but now it's not. But it wasn't thought that it would be the F-150. The funny thing is, Rivian is said to be looking at LG for its battery manufacturing, and LG is the company that brought down SK over intellectual property theft :rofl:

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
A now-limited partnership with SK Innovation, who also provide VW ID.4 batteries. SK was busted over intellectual property issues, so Ford and VW only have a few years of batteries after a ban on the production of said parts.

However, Ford and Rivian are in cahoots. The partnership was supposed to birth a car, but now it's not. But it wasn't thought that it would be the F-150. The funny thing is, Rivian is said to be looking at LG for its battery manufacturing, and LG is the company that brought down SK over intellectual property theft :rofl:
As far as I know, LG chem can’t even make enough batteries for the bolt with 20k units a year. That’s like pissing into the ocean compared to the amount of batteries that’ll be needed for a pickup truck. Panasonic, CATL, Tesla are all tapped out just making enough batteries for 500k tesla cars a year. I doubt LG has enough capacity

Reactions: Mr_Roboto

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL

This is how my fusion works. Some weak gasser engine that lets me go long distance and also the electric drivetrain and batteries to soak up a good portion of every drive. Also, I don't have to plug it in.

Crazy part is how expensive the insurance is compared to a non-hybrid car... the tech under these vehicles is obviously more complex and so when you smash it all up, it costs more duckets to fix.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
This is how my fusion works. Some weak gasser engine that lets me go long distance and also the electric drivetrain and batteries to soak up a good portion of every drive. Also, I don't have to plug it in.

Crazy part is how expensive the insurance is compared to a non-hybrid car... the tech under these vehicles is obviously more complex and so when you smash it all up, it costs more duckets to fix.

so it's not how your fusion works

:rofl:

MikeyLikesIt MikeyLikesIt is talkin' volt-esque powertrain best i understand.

im betting the fusion hybrid is 'spensive to insure because there aren't many of them not because of their hybrid systems.

priusuesuessusesess aren't bad to insure at all, because there's megafucktons of them.

MikeyLikesIt

PHEV Enthusiast
Jun 11, 2009
Downers Grove
There is the regular ICE Fusion, Fusion Hybrid (Eagle) and the Fusion Energi (Me). My Fusion Energi is similar to what I would want in an F150. Primary ICE engine with electric assist and a 50 mile battery pack.

I had to go look it up, the last time we filled it up was August 28th and we have 1700 miles on this tank and averaging about 300mpg. It's a weekend car while my daughter is at college.

The fusion has always been our cheapest car to ensure. Even when we had the Acura, VW minivan so I am not sure why so expensive for Eagle.

• Wow
Reactions: Yaj Yak

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
There is the regular ICE Fusion, Fusion Hybrid (Eagle) and the Fusion Energi (Me). My Fusion Energi is similar to what I would want in an F150. Primary ICE engine with electric assist.

I had to go look it up, the last time we filled it up was August 28th and we have 1700 miles on this tank and averaging about 300mpg. It's a weekend car while my daughter is at college.

The fusion has always been our cheapest car to ensure. Even when we had the Acura, VW minivan so I am not sure why so expensive for Eagle.
giphy.gif

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
There is the regular ICE Fusion, Fusion Hybrid (Eagle) and the Fusion Energi (Me). My Fusion Energi is similar to what I would want in an F150. Primary ICE engine with electric assist and a 50 mile battery pack.

so fusion energi is similar kinda to a volt then

Reactions: MikeyLikesIt

Jeffs FRC

TCG Elite Member
Aug 10, 2006
Lakemoor, IL

My wife has a plug in hybrid Pacifica, and with her not working, I think it was last filled up in November because she went on a 200 mile round trip. It has about 35 miles of range on a full battery which will cover her shopping duties up and down Randall Rd...lol. We've already decided that her next vehicle after the minivan phase will be an electric suv of some sort. Maybe that badass new Mustang...

As far as insurance, I think it's pretty cheap like $50/month.

GTvert90

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 10, 2016
Machesney Park
Real Name
Phil
I went from a 13 mustang GT to 19 fusion hybrid and my insurance went up $50 a year. I couldn't quite figure that out, I attributed it to one. Being a new car? I don't know.

frank

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info