Electric bicycle discussion - - broken out of carvana thread

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
I have a shitty picture right now, this is when I was experimenting with using the brake levers that came with the kit vs the ones that I bought. This bike originally had drop bars on it and after 5yrs of riding it like that, I converted it to flat bar.

But this is a basic 250w kit from ebikeling, FWD assist, makes it 10000x easier to change flats if the electric motor isn't in the back IMO. Riding over 500 miles/month I get a lot of flats, especially right now with all of the road debris on the sidewalks/bike paths.

I have ridden this to/from work at full assist 25+mph and 40 miles and it had plenty of juice to go another 12 miles to/from my parents house. Does sick FWD burnouts too.

I just got ANOTHER flat so right now it's apart but if you're interested I can take a bunch more pictures of it.

More interested in the conversion kit discussion. If I can mount one to my bike for cheap to make sure I would use it more, it would help my decision to eventually buy a nicer ebike....

How much research did you do on the setup? When I read you did your own, I was expecting something more frankensteined.... Wasnt aware there are conversion kits out there honestly.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
More interested in the conversion kit discussion. If I can mount one to my bike for cheap to make sure I would use it more, it would help my decision to eventually buy a nicer ebike....

How much research did you do on the setup? When I read you did your own, I was expecting something more frankensteined.... Wasnt aware there are conversion kits out there honestly.

i bet this may make you not commit to be honest :rofl:

get the "expensive" one, youll be balls deep into it and be like FUCK I BETTER FUCKING USE it

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
You can get cheaper treks, they just don’t have the speed or torque of the more expensive ones
1616165211065.jpeg

20mph, 40nm, 500wh battery $2600

Here’s a hardtail mountain bike they sell. I wanted to get this for my wife but they were out of stock when I ordered

1616165269310.jpeg

That’s 20mph, 85nm, 500wh battery and $3700
That’s the same motor I have in my trek rail, I just have the bigger battery. It rips, I just wish there was a class 2 mode that went 28mph. Keeping up with my wife proves difficult even with her pulling like 60lbs worth of kid and trailer.

Bob Kazamakis

TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK

The problem with trash like this is zero support when things go wrong. We won’t even work on anything that isn’t a name brand bike because they’re such garbage. Cant get parts for them, if you do they seem to not ever be right and the quality is pathetic.

Reactions: Spivitz and Yaj Yak

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008

As far as I know I am the first one to convert a Cannondale CADX cross bike into an Ebike, so there wasn't much to go off of. I just kinda sent it. If you have more of a run of the mill bike, the kits they offer will be a direct bolt on kit and they're mostly under $300 plus $100-ish for a battery. I got my battery from Ebay. Ebike companies have you at your balls for batteries, they charge $500-$1000 for them. I would never suggest anyone go with a manufacturer, they limit the power and they kill you on replacement parts.

Chet Donnelly

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 19, 2004
I hadn't ridden a bike in probably 20 years, or followed anything bicycle related for longer than that (since my sweet Dyno Air). But last week I decided to go buy the wife and I new bicycles, and was mind blown when I got to the bicycle shop and saw these E-bikes. They look awesome, and make awesome sense. I didn't end up buying them since I'm still not even sure how much we'll use them.....but would totally buy one if I was a regular cyclist.

10sec

TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
Yeah because the manufacturers that you're representing don't buy their batteries in bulk from a Chinese distributer????? LOL

Mine was made in the USA, said it in the ad so it obviously had to be true.

There's also local people that build batteries as well or places like batteries + that can either build you one or service the one you have.

Bob Kazamakis

TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
Yeah because the manufacturers that you're representing don't buy their batteries in bulk from a Chinese distributer????? LOL

Mine was made in the USA, said it in the ad so it obviously had to be true.

There's also local people that build batteries as well or places like batteries + that can either build you one or service the one you have.

Like I stated before your macgyver ass showed up, Bosch is at least UL rated and the only one to do so in the e-bike market.

Bob Kazamakis

TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
If you scroll to the bottom of this article it lists a few incidents from the last few years

10sec

TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
Here's my bike FESTER665 BADAZZTEALCOBRA. I tried to keep it as normal bike looking as I could by hiding all of the electronics in the bag, which I already had because I use my bike to commute and need to take my work stuff with me.

It's actually ridden so it's pretty dirty. This bike is probably half the weight of all the ebikes out there, unless you go $6k+ bikes and it's probably still lighter than those too. It's not SUPER straight forward because you do have to be a little clever figuring out how to mount the pedal assist sensor and magnets that it uses to read but you also don't have to do that. You can mount the throttle on the handlebars and just use that to give yourself assist whenever you need it. That's what I elected to do even though I did mount the PAS sensor, I ride it normally most of the time so I just throttle on when I need the assist up a long hill or if I need to go super fast to get through a light or something. Or if I am running late for work I just put it at full assist and fly.

The other day I rode all the way to St. Charles from Plainfield 28miles and got there in a little over 1.5hrs. On a regular bike not only would that be incredibly boring but would have taken forever.

I just love the option of if I don't feel like pedaling I can just ride it like a scooter all the way to work and have plenty of battery to get home if I want to do the same.

These are called handle bar jacks, VERY useful, I thank myself every time I use these things. It keeps your "dash board" from getting smashed up when you flip the bike over to change a flat.

10sec

TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
It's perfectly straight, the bag is just soft and leans on it's own. It has the battery, controller, tools, pump, etc inside of it. Anything I need to fix anything that happens when I'm very far away from home is in that bag, including a full size rain coat for the all of the bags. NBD.

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
I hate E-Bikes. Yeah they have a place. But if you are healthyish and able, get a regular bike and ride that.
E-Bikes are for older folks or people who might be missing a leg or unable to forcefully pedal a normal bike.

Yet again, the people who ride a ton or work in the industry are literally showing examples of how they can be used and I am guessing theyre not missing limbs and are able to pedal a normal bike.

SirMarco

of Pingree Grove
May 11, 2009
Pingree Grove
Yet again, the people who ride a ton or work in the industry are literally showing examples of how they can be used and I am guessing theyre not missing limbs and are able to pedal a normal bike.

This is just my opinion. I've been racing for 30 years this year and I just see them as a fad for the time being. Yeah everything has a place, but this doesn't have a place for everyone.

Bob Kazamakis

TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
This is just my opinion. I've been racing for 30 years this year and I just see them as a fad for the time being. Yeah everything has a place, but this doesn't have a place for everyone.
You race bmx bikes, that’s some shit that’s dying.
E bike segment has been growing exponentially and I guarantee they are not a fad, at least not here. I see $10k bikes being sold on our sales floor quite regularly as well as the cheaper city bikes.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info