Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
I'm just not getting the e-bike thing.

I bike to exercise, if I want to motor I'll wrap a leg around my scooter.

:obama:
It's so easy to just build you own Ebike and the cost is massively less. You can also start with a better bike all together and build an ebike. Ebike companies have to abide by the laws, but if you build your own you don't.
:picard:

Bob Kazamakis

TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
You sound just like my buddy, yet you see a post by the one person on here who whos on bikes all day and likely rides them the most, and he's literally saying how they help him to ride further and harder....

I started looking at it as how much can I ride in the same or similar time.

Here’s an example of how useful they are. Guess which one is on an e bike and which one isn’t. This is the same trail system

F0C82954-8783-4036-8A84-2A843145204B.jpeg
09EAD1C0-3DFE-4E8F-9490-3900346622F1.png
8C4FF9FA-70AD-4A92-BD75-89102E09D00C.jpeg
D5497EA5-63FA-49A7-9013-6834F40F9B79.png

Reactions: Spivitz

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
I'm just not getting the e-bike thing.

I bike to exercise, if I want to motor I'll wrap a leg around my scooter.

:obama:
You’re thinking of it as an electric motorcycle. It isn’t. You can’t ride a motorcycle down a bike trail or sidewalk. It’s an easier to ride bicycle, that’s it.

if you can hoof it 10 miles comfortably unpowered, maybe you can make it 40 now. It expands the range of places you can go on a bicycle whether that’s for commuting or fun.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
You’re thinking of it as an electric motorcycle. It isn’t. You can’t ride a motorcycle down a bike trail or sidewalk. It’s an easier to ride bicycle, that’s it.

if you can hoof it 10 miles comfortably unpowered, maybe you can make it 40 now. It expands the range of places you can go on a bicycle whether that’s for commuting or fun.

1000%

electric bicycles short of being on the freeway/tollway can really go anywhere it seems.

Reactions: OffshoreDrilling

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
I started looking at it as how much can I ride in the same or similar time.

Here’s an example of how useful they are. Guess which one is on an e bike and which one isn’t. This is the same trail system

View attachment 83818 View attachment 83819

But you burned 200 less calories man. What a waste. :s00ls:

That's my point to a tee. If an ebike simply makes it easier for the person to enjoy the ride, the odds are they will use it more frequently.

I mean my situation as an example. I could ride the 3 miles to work easily, not get to work being a sweaty mess, bring the bike in the office and charge it if needed, etc.....

I assume the riding season would be 8 months out of the year give or take, minus some days for weather, but overall it could get quite a good amount of use out of it.

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood

I think thats what my buddy thinks as well. I think he thinks of it as like a scooter where you turn the handle and it just takes off for you....

I would just do a pedal assisted one where it would make the hills easier. Instead of barely making it around the 12 mile loop one time, I could likely do the loop twice and then head home instead.

Reactions: frank

Bob Kazamakis

TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
But you burned 200 less calories man. What a waste. :s00ls:

That's my point to a tee. If an ebike simply makes it easier for the person to enjoy the ride, the odds are they will use it more frequently.

I mean my situation as an example. I could ride the 3 miles to work easily, not get to work being a sweaty mess, bring the bike in the office and charge it if needed, etc.....

I assume the riding season would be 8 months out of the year give or take, minus some days for weather, but overall it could get quite a good amount of use out of it.

I updated with my heart rate stuff too for each of those rides.

Reactions: FESTER665

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
I use mine for commuting to work. Plainfield-Batavia one way is right on 20miles.

Just a bolt-on 250w motor, 36v 18ah battery that tucks nicely into the bag. It's been SHIT since I've finished it but the days are getting better, but it already has over 400miles on it and I'll easily put another 3-4k miles on it this year. My fat tire ebike had over 2500 miles on it when I sold it a few months ago.

Reactions: Spivitz

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I use mine for commuting to work. Plainfield-Batavia one way is right on 20miles.

Just a bolt-on 250w motor, 36v 18ah battery that tucks nicely into the bag. It's been SHIT since I've finished it but the days are getting better, but it already has over 400miles on it and I'll easily put another 3-4k miles on it this year. My fat tire ebike had over 2500 miles on it when I sold it a few months ago.

you're like a not-hillbilly hillbilly.

Reactions: 1quick

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood

Can you post up some more on this? Curious what it looks like or how you accomplished all of this.

Reactions: OffshoreDrilling

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
I have a shitty picture right now, this is when I was experimenting with using the brake levers that came with the kit vs the ones that I bought. This bike originally had drop bars on it and after 5yrs of riding it like that, I converted it to flat bar.

But this is a basic 250w kit from ebikeling, FWD assist, makes it 10000x easier to change flats if the electric motor isn't in the back IMO. Riding over 500 miles/month I get a lot of flats, especially right now with all of the road debris on the sidewalks/bike paths.

I have ridden this to/from work at full assist 25+mph and 40 miles and it had plenty of juice to go another 12 miles to/from my parents house. Does sick FWD burnouts too.

I just got ANOTHER flat so right now it's apart but if you're interested I can take a bunch more pictures of it.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info