Effects of Detonation (pics)

Zack

4 Doors 4 Life
Reaction score
These pics are from my original engine from my Blue car.

Im almost embarrased to post these, since I pride myself on being able to hear detonation. Thankfully I was able to drive the car home after this happened:

Look closely at the rod: (its bent)

Piston top:

Before this happened, I never had a fuel problem. I remember a turbo Subaru sneaking up on me at the on ramp to the freeway and I instinctively nailed it and put him in the dust. Where did I go wrong? I never watched the wideband, nor did I turn down the radio which was blaring. The one time I didnt follow my normal routine disaster struck.
All I remember is seeing a plume of smoke behind the car, and the Subaru owner laughing at me as he eventually passed me.. :-o

I ended up throwing a spark plug in it and driving another 500 trouble free miles with the exception of a small knock (from the bent rod)

I need this engine for the MM I just bought, so Im going to borrow a rod and piston from Dom's old engine, swap over the old rings to the new piston and hope for the best. (the rings move freely on the damaged piston and show no sign of damage)
Normally I wouldn't cut a corner like this but I am friggin broke and need to get this car running again on the cheap.

Moral of the story? If you drive a supercharged car, always watch the wideband and keep your ears open for detonation. ;)

Jon01

Muthafucka Jones
Reaction score
Yup, it's broke!

Do you think it leaned out or was it a case of too much timing in that particular instance - high IAT combined with marginal gas?

I haven't messed with tuning via SCT's package much, most of my work is with HPTuners. Does Ford have a method of reporting detonation via knock sensors - I can monitor KR on GM stuff via scanner, can something similar be reported with SCT's software?

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
Super Moderator
Donating Member
Reaction score
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Don't know about your A/F settings Zack, this is just a general comment...

I'd rather have a point or two richer fuel setting, lose a little power and have a wider safety margin. In a street car, the wide margin can be an engine saver.

OP
Zack

Zack

4 Doors 4 Life
Reaction score
I really have no idea what happened since this was the only cylinder affected. (#7)

I remember it being a cool afternoon, thats about it.

Bad luck I guess.
I have since converted to a return style fuel system and will be getting a dyno early April.

N20GT

Plz place 3,000 kudos here. kthx
Reaction score
Damn that sucks. Cool pics though, engine carnage always interests me. lol

TAKEDOWN

Take em' Down!
Reaction score
On the bright side you know what needs to be done and you can do it yourself, $aves you on the labor of love at least!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom