• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Educate Me: Heat Cycling Tires

Bruce Jibboo

TCG Elite Member
Apr 18, 2008
Elgin
maxresdefault.jpg

BS ISF

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 24, 2012
WEST BURBS
pulled this from another forum:

We talk about heat cycles as it effects the attributes of the tire's performance. A heat cycle is generally referring to a full heating (or overheating...) to operating temperature and this only makes a difference if you are running a tire that is soft enough that the tire will generate more grip when heated until it reaches a maximum temperature that when exceeded causes grip to fall off.

The reason tires tend to go away after a certain number of heat cycles is that the rubber vulcanizes more with each cycle. Vulcanizing is basically the process of forming additional crosslinks between molecules. Most of the things I have read say that vulcanization will continue for up to 24 hours after a heat cycle.

The degree of this change will be very variable depending on the exact formulation of the rubber, temperature that is achieved and to some extent the force that the rubber is subjected to during the heat cycle.

In other words: There is no one answer. Experience will teach what your car and your driving style will demand and what the results will be.

Some tires will cycle out very quickly. Often times these are the best race tires. This doesn't mean they become dangerous. It means they become uncompetitive. For example Hoosiers and to a lesser extent Kuhmo Victoracers are known to cycle out pretty quickly. Toyos are known to be almost cycle proof. In between lies a universe of tires.

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007
pulled this from another forum:

We talk about heat cycles as it effects the attributes of the tire's performance. A heat cycle is generally referring to a full heating (or overheating...) to operating temperature and this only makes a difference if you are running a tire that is soft enough that the tire will generate more grip when heated until it reaches a maximum temperature that when exceeded causes grip to fall off.

The reason tires tend to go away after a certain number of heat cycles is that the rubber vulcanizes more with each cycle. Vulcanizing is basically the process of forming additional crosslinks between molecules. Most of the things I have read say that vulcanization will continue for up to 24 hours after a heat cycle.

The degree of this change will be very variable depending on the exact formulation of the rubber, temperature that is achieved and to some extent the force that the rubber is subjected to during the heat cycle.

In other words: There is no one answer. Experience will teach what your car and your driving style will demand and what the results will be.

Some tires will cycle out very quickly. Often times these are the best race tires. This doesn't mean they become dangerous. It means they become uncompetitive. For example Hoosiers and to a lesser extent Kuhmo Victoracers are known to cycle out pretty quickly. Toyos are known to be almost cycle proof. In between lies a universe of tires.

Awesome info bud, thanks! It seems like consensus is pretty clear.....I don't need to worry about it.

chris101

TCG Elite Member
Jun 25, 2009
Mt. Prospect, IL
Real Name
yes
I never noticed any real differences on Toyo R888s or RA1s with heat cycling.

Where I did notice the MOST difference is with Hoosiers. They last better and longer with a proper heatcycle. We typically run a normal 15 minute cycle getting good heat into the tires and then remove them from the car and let them sit for at least 24 hours but best results seem to be leaving them for at least 1 week to fully properly cure.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info