• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Ecoboost and E85

gojo83

Regular
Jun 11, 2009
Cheyenne WY
Was talking with a coworker and told him I am looking at a e85 conversion for my car to up the anty a bit since it offers such cooling aspect on a boosted motor. He has a 2013 EB F150 and he said running E85 in it is like a death sentence for the EB motors. Why is there such a restriction? I would figure with it being a forced induction motor it would actually benefit or am I wrong?

willizm

Very Nice, Very Evil
May 13, 2009
The Woodlands, TX
Was talking with a coworker and told him I am looking at a e85 conversion for my car to up the anty a bit since it offers such cooling aspect on a boosted motor. He has a 2013 EB F150 and he said running E85 in it is like a death sentence for the EB motors. Why is there such a restriction? I would figure with it being a forced induction motor it would actually benefit or am I wrong?

I'd imagine it's all in the tuning. Haven't looked into Ecopoop f150 tuning lately but it should be worth mentioning that most of those owners are a special breed. :rofl:

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
I just did a quick Google search and they seem to be suffering from the same problem the 3800 community does. One person says something, 10 more repeat it, 100 people repeat what they said and before you know it something one person said is accepted as gospel. From there perception becomes reality and nobody challenges the status quo.

For those in the 3800 scene think Overkill PCMs. The dude didn't return emails and used to take forever to ship his PCMs and people swore by him. They couldn't tell you what made his PCM better, just that it was "a huge improvement" over whatever other PCM they were running.

From the results I got there seems to be a lot of "well if it could have been done Ford would have done it" mentality and nobody is challenging that.

There might be legitimate reasons the EB engines aren't good candidates for E85. Maybe they still use some rubber in the fuel system or don't have plastic tanks, large enough injectors, etc.

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
its an issue with fuel system limitations currently. My buddy has a modded ecoboost F150. There are no injector options for the motors as far as aftermarket. People are running meth kits to add fuel for higher power, or going as far as machining their intakes for a second set of injectors

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Oct 28, 2009
Palatine
direct injection makes it a lot more difficult as the high pressure fuel pump is run off the cam. Going to be a growing process with all the newer cars coming out soon that will need injection upgrades.

I know they are trying to come up with better fuel pumps for some other ecoboost motors out there but it is expensive. Or bigger cam lobes for the existing pumps.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
direct injection makes it a lot more difficult as the high pressure fuel pump is run off the cam. Going to be a growing process with all the newer cars coming out soon that will need injection upgrades.

I know they are trying to come up with better fuel pumps for some other ecoboost motors out there but it is expensive. Or bigger cam lobes for the existing pumps.

I wonder what differentiates the Ecoboost from engines like mine that also use high pressure pumps because I don't believe the BMW guys run into fueling issues. I don't have what's considered a high power setup but last I checked they were just upgrading the low pressure in tank pump to keep the high pressure pump fed.

And there are a bunch of other direct injection turbo engines that don't suffer from the same limitations. Maybe it's intentional to prevent people from modifying them.

gojo83

Regular
Jun 11, 2009
Cheyenne WY
Maybe it's intentional to prevent people from modifying them.

You bring up a valid point that I didnt think of before but on the flip side how are they pulling 600+hp out of the same motor in the GT if there is no fueling upgrades? But then it begs the question does ford have a restrictive warranty on these like GM does on the new c7s that if a tune is put in you are SOL?
This kid i was talking to has 46k on the truck and ate a turbo. So is the motor choked down on purpose to prevent warranty and other issues aka this is a self preservation move? I am sure these motors are not cheap to replace and from the looks of it the turbos are a bit of a bitch to get to.

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Oct 28, 2009
Palatine
Mike_K my guess is the BMW's just have more headroom in them. Certain cars for whatever reason even in the turbo japanese from the 90's had way more headroom then other peoples setups. USDM supras had 550cc injectors while 300zx's got 370cc injectors. Both made similar power stock so why give injectors good for almost 150-200 more hp.

I just know the 2.3 DISI from the mazdaspeed 3's which are basically the same motors as the 4 cylinder ecoboosts. They mostly blend in ethanol as they can't seem to get enough fuel any other way. They are starting to come out with aftermarket pumps but it is all really expensive. Otherwise you go with methanol injection. I mean this engine has been out since 2005 or so and they still don't have a great solution for it.

"Some GT engine details that Ford did announce include a combination of direct and port fuel injection"

Twin Turbo V6 EcoBoost in New Ford GT Is Hardly a Surprise - EngineLabs
So it seems for that car bigger turbos and DI for low speed stuff and my guess is the port fuel injection kicks in near boost. Just all guessing at this point though.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info