Ebola in Africa update

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
Super Moderator
Donating Member
Reaction score
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Yeah, people worry about global warming or asteroids or other very unlikely methods of human destruction and few seem to care about this very real way humans could be decimated at any time.

Mook

El Presidente
Admin
Reaction score
I typed up a reply and then deleted it...I just can't anymore with you. I can't :rofl:

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
Super Moderator
Donating Member
Reaction score
How can you argue against it?

How many times has global warming killed millions in the last 10,000 years? Zero.

How many times has an asteroid killed millions in the last 10,000 years? Zero.

How many times has disease killed millions in the last 10,000 years? Several.

A mutated disease epidemic is a much more likely threat to human civilization than the other two.

12 Monkeys, bro. 12 Monkeys.

Spivitz

The Throttle is ur friend
Donating Member
Reaction score
Should I be scared?
Hmmmmmm...

Like real Captain Trips like shit

MrDragster1970

Reaction score

I'm not scared, but if the nut jobs manage to steal something, you just never know what could happen.
Some suicidal lab tech loses his mind??

The only thing I worry about is a damn semi guy falling asleep or some POS drunk driver.
I'm a very see every thing kind of driver, but some POS crossing the center line and giving you no time to react is hard to avoid :(

There is very little chance of a nuclear war or super bug killing billions of people!!
It's not 1918 any more, you would hope we never lose 50 MILLION from the damn flu now a days??

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
Super Moderator
Donating Member
Reaction score
Good points.

Auto deaths are much more worrisome to me than global warming.

Worst case scenario, if global warming is real, none of us will be affected by it in our lifetimes. Or our kid's. Or their kids. Or their kids. People will get killed and are killed every day by auto crashes. Spend the global warming money on highway safety and we'd be ahead of the game.

If a terrorist gets access to some of the bad diseases that are kept in supposedly secure facilities all over the world, millions could die.

Even something as common as the flu can mutate and kill many people. Something like Ebola can do it even more. Hope is they contain this outbreak before it hits a big city since, with more carriers, there's more chance of mutation. The problem with this outbreak is that it's in a war zone so medical personnel can't work freely and may be injured or killed. Add to that citizens who don't want cremation and hide the infected bodies until they are buried which is not nearly as good a way to kill the disease as cremation. Add to that the fact that most citizens don't understand the disease, some don't even understand how diseases are transmitted.

That's scary stuff to me. Legislators should be talking about this rather than unproven or unlikely ways we can die.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
Super Moderator
Donating Member
Reaction score
An American aid worker returned to America and is in quarantine while doctors see if he has Ebola. He's in Nebraska.

Maybe it would be better to call Ebola by its more descriptive name?

Viral hemorrhagic fever

Just as bad as it sounds.

DynaSlim

Reaction score
Tried to watch the video but how can i trust what's coming out the mouth of a white liberal in his moms basement living in America that's never been to Africa.

Bruce Jibboo

Reaction score
I wouldn't want to test my immune system against it but I feel I must go do a religious mission and work the Ebola ward in Congo.

N20GT

Plz place 3,000 kudos here. kthx
Reaction score
Our resident biologists [MENTION=4746]Flyn[/MENTION] and [MENTION=4555]MrDragster1970[/MENTION], who have no actual education in biology, have done the studies and determined ebola to be the largest threat to humanity. This determination is supported by a hippie on youtube and should therefore be considered fact.

The one and only source used in this study can be found here:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0114069/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
Super Moderator
Donating Member
Reaction score
Could be a mutation of H1N1 or any of hundreds/thousands of other diseases, not just Ebola.

Mass deaths by disease have happened in the relatively recent past (hundreds/thousands of years) unlike the other events I mentioned in the OP which haven't happened for millions of years.

You goobers want to worry about events that have a .0000000000000000000000000000000000000001% chance of happening in your lifetimes compared to a mutated disease outbreak which has a LOT less zeros, go ahead.

430 BC - Smallpox took out at least 20% of Athens, Greece population.
541 AD - Plague of Justinian killed 50 million people over a 200 year period.
1334 AD - Great plague of London killed 1/3 of Florence, Italy in 6 months and a total of 25 million people.
1519 AD - Cortes brought smallpox to what would become Mexico and killed up to 23 million of the 25 million natives. Supposedly only a couple million survived smallpox and other European diseases.

There are too many horrible disease outbreaks to mention here. If you want to see more of them or more recent ones, click the CNN link.

https://www.cnn.com/interactive/2014/10/health/epidemics-through-history/

Anyone who is more worried about global warming or an asteroid hitting the planet than about diseases is a moron.

Intel

Reaction score
Or you know, just fix both and the world is a better place?

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
Super Moderator
Donating Member
Reaction score
Update:

Doctors without borders retreats from medical facility after attacks. Infected patients run off.

It's tough to fight Ebola in a war zone. Doctors without borders had two of their clinics attacked by groups of fighters. Clinics and vehicles were burned and, at the second clinic, at least 4 people with Ebola fled into the nearby city.

The disease continues to spread.

And while it's not yet clear who the assailants were in the two attacks, Massart says the larger takeaway is clear. In Katwa and Butembo, "there is a level of mistrust that we have to correct very, very quickly."

He adds that it's not surprising. Katwa and Butembo are in an isolated, impoverished area with a history of armed conflict that's made people wary of — and sometimes even hostile to — outsiders.

Add to this the fact that Ebola is a disease that has never reached this region before and that at first blush doesn't seem all that different from more familiar diseases.

"At the beginning you will have the same symptoms as malaria or typhoid fever – things that the communities are used to dealing with. So Ebola is seen as a disease like the other ones, and they don't see why we should put people in treatment centers."

After all, malaria can be deadly too. But they have never been foreign medical workers insisting that as soon as a family member shows signs of it you need to send them off to a bunch of strangers in plastic suits.

This mistrust has serious consequences beyond the attacks. Because people don't come forward for treatment, a very high number are dying of Ebola in their communities. And at that end stage of the disease, they are at their most contagious.

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2019/03/01/699462782/why-doctors-without-borders-is-pulling-out-of-the-ebola-epicenter-in-congo

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
Super Moderator
Donating Member
Reaction score
The Congo Ebola outbreak is continuing to grow. 27 confirmed cases in 1 day. No idea how many unconfirmed cases there are.

Remember, this outbreak is in a war zone in a 3rd world area with corresponding lack of medical facilities and treatment.

Styx comments on possible mutations for the disease and compares it to previous epidemics in history.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIwYLrAr0Lk

This disease is concerning, to say the least.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
Super Moderator
Donating Member
Reaction score

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
Super Moderator
Donating Member
Reaction score
There has been a confirmed Ebola case in Goma, Congo. Goma is a city of 1-2 million people. Goma has an international airport.

Last edited:

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
Super Moderator
Donating Member
Reaction score
3 cases in Goma now. Rwanda just closed its border with Congo to try to prevent the spread of Ebola into Rwanda.

GOMA, Democratic Republic of Congo — The daughter of an Ebola patient in the eastern Congo city of Goma has contracted the virus, making her the third case in the city of one million which neighbors Rwanda, the government's Ebola response team said on Thursday.

The appearance of Ebola in Congo has raised concerns that the virus could spread across the border to Rwanda, which sealed its border with Congo on Thursday.

Rwandan state minister for foreign affairs ministry, Olivier Nduhungirehe, told Reuters by phone that the border had been shut at Rwanda's nearest town of Gisenyi but declined to give further details.
The World Health Organization has declared an international health emergency.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/rwanda-seals-congo-border-after-third-ebola-case-goma-n1038141

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom