Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
Super Moderator
Donating Member
Reaction score
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida

Outlaw

Reaction score
I know nothing about sharpening. I also only really own $150+ blades, so, I'm not willing to learn :rofl:

I just send them to Benchmade and they come back much sharper than the factory edge.

GTPpower

Reaction score
Any watch forged in fire?

The use the belt sander to get the blade on the knife, but almost always use a stone by hand for the final finish.

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Love this show! Makes me want to build a forge in my garage!

Chester Copperpot

TCGs Far Right Leader
Donating Member
Reaction score
So, completely relevant to this topic, I actually went out and bought this belt grinder at HF.

Not sure if anyone remembers but I have a S&W HRT knife that I've had for a long time that I've just beaten the utter piss out of. It had a nice chunk of blade missing about an inch from the tip and the tip was broken off. Just a really hard life because hey, it was a free automatic knife from my MSgt and I used it. A LOT.

This is after a quick grind with the 80-grit that the grinder came with and a quick run on a leather belt that I bought. I gummed up the leather belt really bad because of the black coloring on the blade. Whoops. I also ran it through a pocket sharpener on the carbide bits just to clean it up even better. Yes I know a couple of the serrations got grinded too but I'm not a huge fan of serrated knives, hence my Nakamura straight blade. Again, I think this is a $40 knife.

Cuts way better than it did before and it definitely worked for my needs and my expectations. Would I get my Nakamura anywhere near that belt grinder? Fuck. And No. Cleaning up cheap knives to prolong their lives? Absolutely. This thing is going back in my truck even sharper.

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Good deal, amigo!

Now, get skilled enough to be willing to sharpen the Nakamura! :naughty:

That's what we are talking about here!

Chester Copperpot

TCGs Far Right Leader
Donating Member
Reaction score
I might start with some lapping compound and a strop first for the Nakamura, lol. No fucking way am I grinding that knife with 80 grit at 1300 RPM. Maybe I’ll buy some finer grit belts and practice on the HRT or another cheap knife I have laying around.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom