Early 5.7 hemi head swap 03-08

frosty23_45

Broke Dodge owner
Reaction score
Ok, so I have a 05 Magnum with the 5.7 hemi. Afraid of the valve seat drop issue biting me eventually. So been thinking about head swaps, or possibly getting the stock heads worked on. Porting and new seats and such.

My budget really limits what I can do, will have to wait till tax return time. So been looking into it a bit on the LXForums.

I've come up with a few options, but thinking in the short term would just be cheapest getting the stock ones worked on. No idea of anywhere local though.

Other options are:

Eagle head swap (09+) 5.7. This comes with needing a few thing though. Like exhaust manifolds, mid-pipes, custom pushrods, and to take advantage of the heads an intake manifold, and a tune obviously.

6.1 heads, haven't researched this much, but again should do an intake manifold, and would need a tune. Probably the exhaust manifolds and mid-pipes as well. I'm sure there's other stuff, but haven't looked into it much yet.

Aftermarket heads, near $2k price range just for the heads alone. But the other options will probably run near that anyway, or more.

So question is, anyone have experience with these on here? Any thoughts or something I haven't considered?

Yaj Yak

Harbor Master
Donating Member
Reaction score
what's the issue you mention in the second sentence?

98GrandPrixIraqVet

Reaction score
Hmm between the 5.7 6.1 6.2 and 6.4 liter Mopars what is all interchangeable?

Questions id like to know there has to be a good realativly cheap combo that makes good power.

RICH17

Dr. Pussy Slayer, MD
Donating Member
Reaction score
Didn't edlebrock just come out with heads?

cap42

Restoration Hell
Reaction score
If your just looking to prevent a large problem with the valve seats, I would think cheapest and quickest downtime would be just to have the heads redone. I don't see their being a big bump in power to justify an aftermarket head vs reworking the factory heads.

bikrboy128

Some say.....
Reaction score
LS swap it :s00ls:

if you're on a budget, just get reworked stock heads. will the power bump doing 6.1/09+ heads be worth the headache?

b4black

Reaction score
I did a little digging, since I see a Hemi in my future. Seems the early engines could drop a valve guide seal if overheated. General consensus was to not overheat the motor and everything will be fine. Stay up on maintenance, run a cooler thermostat, don't ignore leaking water pumps, etc.

Shawn1112

Donating Member
Reaction score
Seems the early engines could drop a valve guide seal if overheated. General consensus was to not overheat the motor and everything will be fine. Stay up on maintenance, run a cooler thermostat, don't ignore leaking water pumps, etc.
Exactly!!!!!
I have had 2 early Hemi's and have a shit ton of friends that have/had them.
Myself or my friends have never had a valve seat issue and I beat the shit out of my 1st Charger. I know people locally running FI on early stock 5.7 heads with no issues. I have seen it happen to others on some of the forums, and strongly believe it was due to them neglecting maintenance issues.

frosty23_45

Broke Dodge owner
Reaction score
Right, just trying to eliminate it before it happens. I'm already running a 180* tstat and a Diablo Intune to change the fan settings. Problem is the car had 119k on it when I bought it and the previous owner apparently didn't care for it as well as I am. So I'm not entirely sure it hasn't overheated in the past.

The 09+ heads can be found fairly cheap, but do require a bit of tuning and such, but can see some decent gains.

I'm leaning towards getting the stock ones redone and hopefully having the cash for a cam while I'm at it. Just trying to get a feel for what's been done and what would make sense. Eventually I'm hoping to supercharge it, but that probably won't happen.

Anyone know of local shop that would work on these?

SMKE EM

Banned
Reaction score
My 04 hemi in my ram has 165k no issues. /knock on wood
Thinking about replacing the front timing chain/gear assy this spring but that's about it

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom