🔧 BUILD Eagle's 92 Fox 5.0 5spd resto

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
When did the P heads come on explorers? They had a different plug angle and had trouble clearing some exhaust manifolds. Shouldn't need 24s going to an explorer motor should you? ?

In my quick research just now, looks lie 97-98 is when P heads came into play. Honestly, if this swap to the Explorer engine swap would cost >$1k, I've got another trick up my sleeve...

I need to either keep this very cost effective and keep a clean stock swap approach, or I'm going to end up making a large investment and trying to get more out of this car both power and return wise.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
TCG Premium
Nov 20, 2008
NWI
20200610_094727.jpg

Dump this in a hot crankcase. Run it at 1500 rpm for 20 mins. Change oil. We'll see how bad this engine really is

• Wow
Reactions: Eagle

Nate

Addict
TCG Sponsor
Mar 4, 2014
Wondertucky
Update

Turns out its something easy. Something called compression. I'm lacking it... looks like probably 4cyl are down various amounts. :rolleyes: Huge thanks to Nate Nate for his expertise and willingness to look over this car for issues. His knowledge and tools were invaluable in finding the issue quickly.

SOOOOO.... I'll be tossing an engine into this car!

Anyone know what years I can surf that'll work as a transplant motor? I was looking for Explorer engines. Found a 97 for $450. Would that work?

Looks like I'd need to swap: exh manifolds, valve covers (need a new set), flywheel, all the accessories, and the fuel injection. Seems like many swap the cam as well. :LOL:Am I missing anything?
It wasn’t THAT fast!

you can do an explorer but keep in mind you will also have to change valve springs.

I would look for a 87-92 long block. Toss headers on it and call it a day.
random parts like flywheels I have and freshly machined.
Or if you want to spend u can pay bob and I for a fresh machined stock xxx block with SVO heads and a b cam with nice forged .030 slugs but I think that will negate what you’re trying to accomplish here :p

LikeABauce302

TCG Elite Member
Aug 27, 2013
South suburbs
Real Name
Matt
It's not very expensive to bore a block and throw some stock style .030 pistons in it. Do a little research and get some price quotes before pulling the trigger on a junkyard engine that may be just as bad or worse than what you're pulling out.

Depending on what the cylinders look like, you may be able to get away with just a hone and new rings. An overbore does ensure cylindricity though which means a good ring seal.

It could also be leaking compression through the valves. Pull the heads and check it out before spending money on another motor. If it turns out to be valve related, Rock Auto has reman E7 heads for $172.79 each plus $65 core charge.

Reactions: GLADIATOR and J-LO

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
See where 1quick 1quick got his fuel Additive.

Is rings are truly gummy, this may fix it.

Post a video of blowby hot and cold

The oil that came out of the motor was SO thick... so yes, I could imagine the rings might be gummed up.

so do I trans/acetone the cyls directly for best results? Never had this problem and I can't really imagine how a "stuck ring" influences how an engine runs.

Reactions: bikrboy128

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Oct 28, 2009
Palatine
Your bore is say 90mm and your Piston is 89.7 mm without the piston rings they would slap around in the bore as they go up and down the bore. So you have 2 or 3 rings toleranced to different gaps to take up the remaining space when the piston is heated up. The top 2 are usually there to provide compression while the bottom one scrapes oil from the cylinder wall so it doesnt get into the combustion chamber. If your top rings are stuck in one place they can't take up the room when things move/heatup so you have combustion gas leaving and getting into the oil/crankcase

Thread Info