🔧 BUILD Eagle's 92 Fox 5.0 5spd resto

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
Are you still going to be able to flip it and at least make some money or break even?

I don’t remember if you posted what you paid, but youve put a ton of time and money into this one so far.... Did the person who stopped driving it say if this is the reason they stopped driving it maybe?

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
yeah agree in theory but it doesn't seem to help....

I've replaced plugs, wires, cap, rotor, injectors, fuel pump and regulator. Unless its an injector wiring issue, everything is new and should be delivering fuel and spark consistently.

I tested with a temp gun recently, and the front 3 on both sides seem to run at approx the same temps, the rears both seem to run a bit cooler.

Driving it down the road today... it misses randomly and really feels like its struggling randomly, not like its missing on one cyl. Wondering if the coil is weak.

1MEANGT

Braaaaaaap!!!
Mar 18, 2004
yeah agree in theory but it doesn't seem to help....

I've replaced plugs, wires, cap, rotor, injectors, fuel pump and regulator. Unless its an injector wiring issue, everything is new and should be delivering fuel and spark consistently.

I tested with a temp gun recently, and the front 3 on both sides seem to run at approx the same temps, the rears both seem to run a bit cooler.

Driving it down the road today... it misses randomly and really feels like its struggling randomly, not like its missing on one cyl. Wondering if the coil is weak.

Coil and distributor are all that are really left. When you swapped the rotor and cap did you notice if the distributor shaft was rusted? Maybe pop the cap off and look.

To bad you are not closer, I think I have a coil laying around and my old distributor.

Reactions: Eagle

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
Coil and distributor are all that are really left. When you swapped the rotor and cap did you notice if the distributor shaft was rusted? Maybe pop the cap off and look.

To bad you are not closer, I think I have a coil laying around and my old distributor.

I wouldn't suggest its perfectly clean by any means... is that an issue? Sorry if that's a dumb Q.

If you do still have them, I could drive out to ya and grab them. ?

1MEANGT

Braaaaaaap!!!
Mar 18, 2004
I wouldn't suggest its perfectly clean by any means... is that an issue? Sorry if that's a dumb Q.

If you do still have them, I could drive out to ya and grab them. ?

Let me see if I can find them. Although I am not sure if they are good or not as I replaced everything on my car when I was having ignition issues a few years ago. I know my distributor shaft was pretty rusted and was told that could cause the issues I was having.

Nate

Addict
TCG Sponsor
Mar 4, 2014
Wondertucky
Nate Nate you have time tonight by chance? I got the brakes sorted - the engine is still running like ass. I think its either a coil or dizzy, or both, issue. :roflpicard:
I’m taking the night off tonight Dan, my week got shot to hell so it’s a kid night. I have a variety of coils and distributors if you don’t mind waiting until Sunday evening. Breaking up under a load by definition is usually ignition related. Poor car I think has multiple problems that need to be diagnosed

Reactions: Eagle

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
Coil didn't fix it.

20200605_182144.jpg

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
How are the plug wires routed? Sorry I'm just throwing anything I can think of your way ?‍♂️.

I bought 9mm Ford Performance Racing wires for this silly thing, including new looms, they're organized pretty well and away from grounding opportunities... I've even gone as far as moving boots and wire routing while its running to see if I can hear/see the miss go away. Nothing.

Solid idea tho! ?

Like 1MEANGT 1MEANGT said, the only thing left at this point is the distributor. I'll be patient and wait for Nate Nate to have time.

Reactions: 1MEANGT

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
Update

Turns out its something easy. Something called compression. I'm lacking it... looks like probably 4cyl are down various amounts. :rolleyes: Huge thanks to Nate Nate for his expertise and willingness to look over this car for issues. His knowledge and tools were invaluable in finding the issue quickly.

SOOOOO.... I'll be tossing an engine into this car!

Anyone know what years I can surf that'll work as a transplant motor? I was looking for Explorer engines. Found a 97 for $450. Would that work?

Looks like I'd need to swap: exh manifolds, valve covers (need a new set), flywheel, all the accessories, and the fuel injection. Seems like many swap the cam as well. :LOL:Am I missing anything?

Reactions: SRT41320

Thread Info