E85 Levels by Fuel Station!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

1MEANGT

Braaaaaaap!!!
Mar 18, 2004
I usually fill up at the Citgo on 72 in Dundee/Hoffman Estates. I used to test all the time but it got old. I tested there a few times and it always came out E85. If I go to the track I will always test.

NVM....... Drove past tonight and it is a Shell now. Kept on driving.......

RedBeard

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 19, 2009
Windsor, CO
wtf someone jerking off in our fuel? wouldn't surprise me though

I've noticed this at a few places. The Shell at Lawerance and River tested at 92 but was NASTY. Wouldn't put that shit in my car. Tons of white floaty shit in it. Couldn't imagine how much crap the filter would pick up if it was 16 gallons of that crap.

I'll be sticking to the Speedway at 75th and Cass by my work.

m_dogg

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 23, 2008
Bumping an old thread. Tested few gas stations yesterday with the water tester.

-Shell in Chicago (used to be Citgo) Diversey & Central 77%
-Minuteman 3346 S. Harlem in Riverside 80%
-Speedway 75th & Cass in Darien 75%
-Shell Harlem & 103rd in Palos Hills 60%

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
Everything I’ve seen so far in NWI is between 68-74% on my proefi flex fuel gauge ?
Pretty much what I have been seeing as well. Thortons on Barrington Rd has been pretty consistent at 73. From what I understand and correct me if I'm wrong as I'm new to the corn world. My gauge in my car is true compared to the test kits you buy.

Jeffs FRC

TCG Elite Member
Aug 10, 2006
Lakemoor, IL
Pretty much what I have been seeing as well. Thortons on Barrington Rd has been pretty consistent at 73. From what I understand and correct me if I'm wrong as I'm new to the corn world. My gauge in my car is true compared to the test kits you buy.
The general consensus is that the tube testers read about 5-10% high. The actual sensors themselves measure pure ethanol content, where the tubes can be skewed by water in the fuel you're already testing.

Reactions: Shawn1112

willizm

Very Nice, Very Evil
TCG Premium
May 13, 2009
The Woodlands, TX
The tubes can vary, usually not too wildly but as long as your tune has some overhead built in to accommodate for the variance you’ll be alright. I use to run whatever in my TA and was times for 85% ethanol, so if I ran 70% it would just result in a little richer afr. That car didn’t have flex fuel and stoic point was static set

Reactions: Shawn1112

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
Are we just test tubing? Keep in mind that a high "percentage" on a tube includes water. Most of my test tube results come in around 90-95%. I'm kinda intereseted in getting a real alcohol content tester, but that's a pretty big investment.

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007
Some are and some are reading their sensors. I am test tubing it just to get an idea, but I am on a flex fuel tune. I have tested 3 Thorntons stations Elk Grove, Roselle, Streamwood and all tested at 80.

I am using this tester.

QFT-36-E85_OH_xl.jpg

v6buicks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 22, 2018
Franklin, IN
Real Name
Jon
Some are and some are reading their sensors. I am test tubing it just to get an idea, but I am on a flex fuel tune. I have tested 3 Thorntons stations Elk Grove, Roselle, Streamwood and all tested at 80.

I am using this tester.

QFT-36-E85_OH_xl.jpg
I have the same one. I'm on an E only tune so content is pretty critical in my case. The trouble for me is not having a full grasp on the chemistry. Sure, I might have crappy fuel near me, but im not sure if I would know what to do about it. I'll figure it out one way or another I guess.

Reactions: greasy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thread Info