E85 Conversation Help

almightyjebus

Reaction score
Hey guys I am starting to think about converting my 50 trim Turbo golf to e85. Really looking to see if anyone on here has done a conversion and could help me figure out what is involved with it.

Thanks!

PANDA

Reaction score
A fuel system that can handle 30% more fuel.

1quick

Donating Member
Reaction score
if you have 30% head room on your current system then just a tune, if not then a fuel pump and injectors and a tune

1quick

Donating Member
Reaction score
it depends on a lot of things, is it a return fuel system? and how much power are you looking to make, I went with a 340 on the car I'm putting together right now with intentions of making decent power on e85

OP
A

almightyjebus

Reaction score
I'm looking to make about 350hp on high boost with my head spacer. So that would be about 350hp at 20-25 psi with 8:1 compression and e85

1quick

Donating Member
Reaction score
I would think the 255 would be plenty then

K0R3AN

I Love Lamp!
Reaction score
Or, you could spend some extra cash for a ProEFI flex fuel setup! :) This way it can change maps according to ethanol content! I'm on it now and have never looked back. A single walbro 255 should be enough for your goals. We may need some more info on your fuel setup...

C.Evans

Reaction score
255 is fine. And +1 on the ProEFI. Just be sure you aren't maxing out the duty cycle of the injectors.

willizm

Ho fuckin Ho!
Reaction score
Also make sure you test the fuel because if it's not at least 83-84&% ethanol and you tuned on summer blend then you could have problems. An e85 test tube is cheap on eBay. E85 varies when the winter blemd comes into play so I'll have the ability to flash back and forth from e85 and 93octane

Handsome Jesus

A V6? What a ripoff...
Donating Member
Reaction score
:ugh: looks like you aren't really prepared to do some research on what you need. ProEFI isn't cheap. I'm pretty sure it is more than an XFI even, which is in the neighborhood of 1800-2000. would bet it costs 3k+ for a fully optioned version with the flex fuel sensor...

a walbro 255 can feed approx. 220 lph at 24 psi of boost (base pressure 42 psi) based on what information I dug up.

02BlueGT

No Fucks Have Been Given
Reaction score
8:1 compression is pretty low, you might be able to pull good power on 93........ But yeah start googling and visit the VDub forums, I'm sure it has been done plenty of times before

ilikemtb999

I eat dirt
Donating Member
Reaction score
Turbo motor bro. My shit is only 8:1 compression. Probably why it diesels down when I turn it off :rofl:

ilikemtb999

I eat dirt
Donating Member
Reaction score
Or the fact it takes little effort to spin an 8:1 compression motor and it doesn't have a balancer

K0R3AN

I Love Lamp!
Reaction score
ProEFI is pretty pricey. But it is definitely worth it! Everything can be controlled through a CAN gauge if you have the right sensors. The only problem that people have talked about was difficulty with self tuning and finding tuners that are proficient at using it. Just because you are going with a new EMS, doesn't necessarily mean you need a new fuel setup... in that case, ProEFI sounds a little overkill for you. Haha I have heard that AEM V2 was supposed to have an upgrade for it soon.

rocket5979

Gearhead
Reaction score
Make sure that if you tune it yourself to do so in Lambda and not AFR if you aren't familiar with the differing stoich values of gasoline versus E85 and how wideband fuel calibrations work. I see people confusing themselves all the time when they aren't familiar with this and try to tune their car on a different fuel. Tune it for .77 lambda and you should make good power and be safe.

BoostedK20

Cool story bro, I make dinosaurs.
Reaction score
Im sure if you go on Vwvortex there are threads about converting your car over in e85.

I currently run e85 and have ID1000's, fuel lines, and a 255 in tank walbro.

I ran into the issue of letting my car sit in the summer when it is humid and ethanol absorbs moisture so my injectors rusted. Kinda sucked.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom