e55 amg benz?

Rent Free

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2015
Nowheresville North Dakota
which gen m5 the v10 ones? those are getting reasonable too.

then again i just realized i did like the 3rd gen cts i had with the na 3.6 and 8 speed paddle shift as a rental while my navigator was in the body shop.

now if i could just find a nice 30kish cts v sport id rock that.

last i looked ebay a nice black cts vsport for 36k id like to be under that price though.

01GTvert

TCG Elite Member
Jan 30, 2006
want sooo bad must resist urge to talk to bank........
Im a huge fan of the E55K. Don't know much about Bimmers. I currently have a C32AMG as my dd. It's the V6 version of the 55 and a little smaller. I've been researching the 55K cars for a while now and pretty much know what breaks and when.

The big points have already been made. People on a budget who don't do their own work will get boned hard owning any AMG.

If im able to keep driving a sedan my next car will be a 55k. I'd really like to own a mid 11sec top shelf sleeper for the cost of a bare bones econobox. Other than the S/C bearing and the airmatic struts these cars are rock solid. There's currently a recall that replacees the entire fuel tank/pump assembly that dealers are honoring w/out bitching.

THe problem is they're rare so finding a low mile well cared for unit is tough. Prices are dropping daily as most people are terrified of owning a nearly 100K car with no warranty.

What else can you get as classy, cool, sexy, fast and dlow for 19K or less?

want sooo bad must resist urge to talk to bank........

you must buy that car!

But not for 24K....more like 19/20K.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
I know nothing about the E55. I know that Mercedes of that vintage were generally shit with respect to interior quality and the tech in them is straight out of the 90's. If those things matter to you, you might want to research them a little more.

As far as M5's go, don't do it. Back when I bought my car it had a list of common problems. There was the VANOS issues, the hydraulic SMG pump that cost thousands to replace and was basically guaranteed to fail, the several thousand dollar clutch jobs, the $500 brake rotors etc. I'd love to report that things have gotten better on that front.

Unfortunately they've gotten worse. Apparently the S85 has developed something of a rod bearing problem. If that's anything like we saw the on the V6 Taurus SHOs what that means is that some people will get lucky and just be able to replace their bearings with no damage to the crank. Other's will hear noise and that will be it. I can cope with SMG pumps and expensive clutches but living in fear that my exotic V10 engine is going to potentially grenade itself? No. Fuck that. It's not worth it.

Right now the cheapest S85 that I can find is $7000. Do the math.

Really the only argument that can be made for the V10 M5 over a tuned 535, other than owning a 4 door exotic car, is that it's faster on a road course and it is designed to put up with sustained abuse (a track session for instance) whereas the 535 isn't. So if you're road racing, by all means get the M5. If you're not road racing, and I say this as someone that absolutely loves the car, don't touch one. Even if you're replacing injectors on your 535 every year it won't be a fraction of the potential cost of ownership of an S85 M5.

Remember the golden rule when it comes to used German cars: Just because you can afford to buy it doesn't mean you can afford to own it. The forums are filled with "what have I gotten myself into?" posts and people that would come and make posts trying to determine the true cost of ownership were greeted with responses along the lines of "if you've got to ask you probably can't afford it". And they weren't saying that to be dicks. They were saying that because you could easily grab a 2007 for $20,000 - $25,000 and put 50% of your purchase price to make it right and keep it going. You know what I put on my 535 in almost 3 years of ownership? 6 injectors and spark plugs.

For everything else, read my article from Jalopnik. I still get hate mail for this. People send me passionate messages nearly 2 years later personally insulting me for daring to question the M5's greatness. Of course they don't actually dispute anything in the article.

10 Reasons The E60 535i Is Better Than The M5

bimmer4life

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Feb 18, 2008
Wheaton, Illinois
I know nothing about the E55. I know that Mercedes of that vintage were generally shit with respect to interior quality and the tech in them is straight out of the 90's. If those things matter to you, you might want to research them a little more.

As far as M5's go, don't do it. Back when I bought my car it had a list of common problems. There was the VANOS issues, the hydraulic SMG pump that cost thousands to replace and was basically guaranteed to fail, the several thousand dollar clutch jobs, the $500 brake rotors etc. I'd love to report that things have gotten better on that front.

Unfortunately they've gotten worse. Apparently the S85 has developed something of a rod bearing problem. If that's anything like we saw the on the V6 Taurus SHOs what that means is that some people will get lucky and just be able to replace their bearings with no damage to the crank. Other's will hear noise and that will be it. I can cope with SMG pumps and expensive clutches but living in fear that my exotic V10 engine is going to potentially grenade itself? No. Fuck that. It's not worth it.

Right now the cheapest S85 that I can find is $7000. Do the math.

Really the only argument that can be made for the V10 M5 over a tuned 535, other than owning a 4 door exotic car, is that it's faster on a road course and it is designed to put up with sustained abuse (a track session for instance) whereas the 535 isn't. So if you're road racing, by all means get the M5. If you're not road racing, and I say this as someone that absolutely loves the car, don't touch one. Even if you're replacing injectors on your 535 every year it won't be a fraction of the potential cost of ownership of an S85 M5.

Remember the golden rule when it comes to used German cars: Just because you can afford to buy it doesn't mean you can afford to own it. The forums are filled with "what have I gotten myself into?" posts and people that would come and make posts trying to determine the true cost of ownership were greeted with responses along the lines of "if you've got to ask you probably can't afford it". And they weren't saying that to be dicks. They were saying that because you could easily grab a 2007 for $20,000 - $25,000 and put 50% of your purchase price to make it right and keep it going. You know what I put on my 535 in almost 3 years of ownership? 6 injectors and spark plugs.

For everything else, read my article from Jalopnik. I still get hate mail for this. People send me passionate messages nearly 2 years later personally insulting me for daring to question the M5's greatness. Of course they don't actually dispute anything in the article.

10 Reasons The E60 535i Is Better Than The M5

Sold my M5 for all the above reasons. Also picked up a 535xi wagon for all the above reasons. :s00ls:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info