Dynoing a stock 2009 M3

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
When raced on the same day, by the same drivers at car and driver the lp640 was faster than the zr1. And no, C&D wasn't hating on the Corvette as I do believe they chose that car as their favorite. I wasn't there barker, but I know the lp640 did lose. Anything can happen on the street, although I'm still not sure how the lambo lost that race!

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
the zr1 won in that comparo. the lp and the zr1 were dead nuts even

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...lp640_viper_srt10_comparison_test+page-5.html

The ZR1 gets a stellar 1.07 g on the skidpad, best in the test. At 141 feet, its stopping distance from 70 mph is 11 feet shorter than the SL65’s. It returns the best EPA city gas mileage, but at 14 mpg, nobody’s bragging. The ZR1 isn’t quite as swift off the line as the Murciélago, but its superior power-to-weight ratio pays off at the top end because it records an identical 0-to-140-mph time of 14.0 seconds.

As a daily driver, it has the most supple freeway ride, providing the driver puts the adjustable shocks in the “tour” setting. The trunk is easily the most commodious, and the Corvette is on a par with the Mercedes for control layout and ergonomics. Indeed, we think the navigation system is more intuitive and easier to use than the SL’s.

The LS9 engine is magnificent, if not quite as operatic and smooth as the Lambo’s V-12. There is a tidal wave of power from almost zero revs, accompanied by supercharger whine and a guttural V-8 growl. This is a Guns N’ Roses soundtrack compared with the Lambo’s Verdi, but we’re catholic in our taste in automotive music. A long-throw throttle pedal gives precise control over all that horsepower. The manual shifter is pleasing to use, too.

G

Grabber

Oh boy. Here we go again.

I give up.

Find me a car with similar HP and Either Similar TQ or Less TQ to prove your point, within a decent amount of a weight range, and I'll prove it to you.

HP doesn't get your car going. TQ does. TQ also stays through your RPM's, as you have to build HP the higher you Rev. :)

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
Oh boy. Here we go again.

I give up.

Find me a car with similar HP and Either Similar TQ or Less TQ to prove your point, within a decent amount of a weight range, and I'll prove it to you.

HP doesn't get your car going. TQ does. TQ also stays through your RPM's, as you have to build HP the higher you Rev. :)

Lamborghini has the same HP, is heavier, has 130 less torque and is faster in the 1/4 mile and they take the same amount of time to get to 140mph as the Zr1.

G

Grabber

If I don't recall, but the Lambo is geared for extremely high speeds, geared even better than the vette, and has AWD. That is why it comes close to ZR1 in the 1/4.

I guess you are missing the big picture. The ZR1 has already run a faster time than any LP64 Ever.

What about Pullied Cobras, only making 450-460 RWHP, but close to 500 TQ running low 11's and trapping 120+ with a good driver? More TQ than HP. I guess its all the HP.

If that is the case, your car would be pretty close to mine then right, since you are over 400 RWHP?

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
If I don't recall, but the Lambo is geared for extremely high speeds, geared even better than the vette, and has AWD. That is why it comes close to ZR1 in the 1/4.

I guess you are missing the big picture. The ZR1 has already run a faster time than any LP64 Ever.

What about Pullied Cobras, only making 450-460 RWHP, but close to 500 TQ running low 11's and trapping 120+ with a good driver? More TQ than HP. I guess its all the HP.

If that is the case, your car would be pretty close to mine then right, since you are over 400 RWHP?

I'm not over 400rwhp.... Any car making 460rwhp weighing around 3500lbs should be low 11s, regardless of how much torque it has.

G

Grabber

I'm not over 400rwhp.... Any car making 460rwhp weighing around 3500lbs should be low 11s, regardless of how much torque it has.
Tell that to Eagle. Oh no I didn't.......:bowrofl: J/K

My car is more like 3850 with me in it. Not to mention IRS and being hard to launch.

Just saying, Stock shows the M3 at like 370 RWHP. Why wouldn't your advanced motor not gain 30 or so RWHP with your mods?

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008

My car is more like 3850 with me in it. Not to mention IRS and being hard to launch.

Just saying, Stock shows the M3 at like 370 RWHP. Why wouldn't your advanced motor not gain 30 or so RWHP with your mods?

So far I have yet to see any dynoes showing over 400rwhp with a bolt on M3, sadly enough.

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL

yea, because NOTHING ELSE is involved in determining how a car runs @ the track other than its weight and how much HP it makes... :picard:

OH YES YOU DID! :squint: :bowrofl: Bottom line is that there is more to getting down the 1320 than Turk thinks it is in one post, but then earlier admits that its a difficult feat to get from the 11s into the 10s... of course, giving no credit to the folks who HAVE actually been deep into the 11s. :D

G

Grabber

yea, because NOTHING ELSE is involved in determining how a car runs @ the track other than its weight and how much HP it makes... :picard:

OH YES YOU DID! :squint: :bowrofl: Bottom line is that there is more to getting down the 1320 than Turk thinks it is in one post, but then earlier admits that its a difficult feat to get from the 11s into the 10s... of course, giving no credit to the folks who HAVE actually been deep into the 11s. :D

LOLOLOLOLOL

Dude, I am pissing all over myself right now!!!!!!! :bowrofl::bowrofl::bowrofl::bowrofl::bowrofl::bowrofl::bowrofl::bowrofl::bowrofl:

I totally agree. HP doesn't determine your car's ability to run the 1320. If that were the case, cars would only be measured in HP numbers, not TQ numbers. My assumption is he has never heard the term "Torque Monster"

Its a car that pulls super hard, and typically has more TQ than it does HP.

How's the car running Eagle? You hitting the track anytime soon?

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
Show me a torque monster that's fast, and I'll guarantee it also has a shit load of HP. Grabber, you're the same guy that stated he actually owned a real e46 CSL M3, the one that's impossible to get in North America. How the hell am I supposed to believe anything you say?

G

Grabber

Show me a torque monster that's fast, and I'll guarantee it also has a shit load of HP. Grabber, you're the same guy that stated he actually owned a real e46 CSL M3, the one that's impossible to get in North America. How the hell am I supposed to believe anything you say?

Did I not admit it was a perfect replica, and I had to find out the hard way?

Here is a TQ monster. No bragging, not being cocky. My Cobra. It is not THAT fast, but having just under 500 TQ AT THE WHEELS, is quite a bit.

Believe what you want. I have actual track experience, I own two supercharged cars, one having More HP than TQ, and vice Versa. I would probably have a better idea at what TQ does. No offense.

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
Did I not admit it was a perfect replica, and I had to find out the hard way?

Here is a TQ monster. No bragging, not being cocky. My Cobra. It is not THAT fast, but having just under 500 TQ AT THE WHEELS, is quite a bit.

Believe what you want. I have actual track experience, I own two supercharged cars, one having More HP than TQ, and vice Versa. I would probably have a better idea at what TQ does. No offense.

What's the other supercharged car?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info