Dynoed my Regal...

m_dogg

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 23, 2008
...and ran out of fuel up top. Rewired stock pump, e85, 60# injectors, 3" pulley on gen 5. I thought it would hold up, not sure what direction should I go. It's got 1.9 rockers but still pushed 15lbs of boost with headers and 3" catback. Made 289 and 371 ft/lb, I was hoping for 300 whp, left kinda disappointed...oh well. Doesn't feel bad but I know I can squeeze out more.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1n32FTIChJ0

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
You need to boost the pump and increase injector headroom. It’s not just about injector size, the regulator won’t allow higher than a certain amount, but you have to spray into boost. IIRC I needed 75+ psi to cope with 16ish psi of boost. MSD makes a booster pump that will give you 16v+ to your pump that is boost referenced. Popular for old school Mustang builds so usually easy to find one used on ebay. IIRC correctly I had to also use an adjustable fuel regulator.

If you have stock valvesprings you'll have to get a little beefier also. Higher boost would float my valves sooner...90# should be plenty if you haven't done it already.

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
Stock, I mean I replaced the 14 year old OEM pump with a Delphi unit abot 2 years back.

I ask because I'm not sure you can get the SC specific pump anymore. They use the L36 pump as a generic replacement. Doesn't have enough fueling for a modded supercharged car.

This is a boost a pump:
https://www.msdperformance.com/products/ignitions/power_grid_modules_and_accessories/parts/2351

Takes a 12V input and puts out 16V. Makes the pump run harder. (man; they got expensive!)

I had all sorts of reliability issues with the Walbro's (melting wires, output tube popping off)...but they work well to feed the motor. A must if you want to run E85. I had a rocker setup with the Walbro, a booster, and 50# injectors and never ran short on fuel.

You should monitor your fuel pressure to diagnose

m_dogg

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 23, 2008
I ask because I'm not sure you can get the SC specific pump anymore. They use the L36 pump as a generic replacement. Doesn't have enough fueling for a modded supercharged car.

This is a boost a pump:
https://www.msdperformance.com/products/ignitions/power_grid_modules_and_accessories/parts/2351

Takes a 12V input and puts out 16V. Makes the pump run harder. (man; they got expensive!)

I had all sorts of reliability issues with the Walbro's (melting wires, output tube popping off)...but they work well to feed the motor. A must if you want to run E85. I had a rocker setup with the Walbro, a booster, and 50# injectors and never ran short on fuel.

You should monitor your fuel pressure to diagnose
Yeah, that's a bit pricey hehe, might have to get a bigger pump down the road.
Was your car intercooled?

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
3200 stall and a 60/61 turbo is insta-power. I could stab it from a stop and by the time the tires stopped spinning from just the 3800 n/a power the turbo was already there to get them spinning again. It's a shame the transmissions are such shit, you could slap a cobbled together turbo kit on any 3800 FWD car and have 400whp all day to play around with, but in order to have fun with it, you gotta pay 2x what the car is worth for a transmission to last you MAYBE 2yrs if you're lucky.

Xtant12

TCG Elite Member
May 31, 2007
I was debating if I should get an IC or get a cam. This shows rockered setup can be quite impressive.

I had the 1.8 rockers, 90lbs springs, full size ic, E85, ect for my first real big mod back in the day. I only hit 285 whp So you did better then me!

And I was running the AEM E85 Pump with rewire.

I didnt become part of the 300+ club until I changed out the cam.

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
AFR was around 12.8-12.9 with small blip of knock (1.2-1.5) up top. It does run pretty strong but for the time being I'll pulley up one size just to play it safe.

I'd get an I/C, it's bolt on and doesn't get all intimate with the engine. Vogel said it best years ago, having an I/C is like driving the car in super cold weather all the time. So you'd get super reliable power and you could get pretty aggressive with the timing for that MPH to increase like crazy. Stock is best and reliable AF.

GTPpower

TCG Elite Member
Jun 5, 2012
Nebraska
3200 stall and a 60/61 turbo is insta-power. I could stab it from a stop and by the time the tires stopped spinning from just the 3800 n/a power the turbo was already there to get them spinning again. It's a shame the transmissions are such shit, you could slap a cobbled together turbo kit on any 3800 FWD car and have 400whp all day to play around with, but in order to have fun with it, you gotta pay 2x what the car is worth for a transmission to last you MAYBE 2yrs if you're lucky.

I've never ridden in a turbocharged vehicle yet that has instapower. That includes a pt61 3k gp.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info